1. samwills90

samwills90 New Member

Comedy

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by samwills90, Aug 6, 2013.

I am writing my first comedy script. It has been bugging me for years and now I am embarking on this challenge.

I am fan of funny dialogue over actions. Things where everyday monotony can become funny. I have an idea which I am working on now but do I need lots of action to start with for someone to eventually read it? (Looking far ahead I know!).

Thanks,

2. NeonFraction

NeonFraction New Member

No way! Start out with what you feel is strongest in your writing. Don't try to convince the reader it's something the story isn't, or you'll lose the readers you want and gain the readers who will get disappointed when they figure out its not what they thought.

3. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

A story needs conflict and movement. That holds tru irrespective of whether it is suspense, horror, drama, or comedy.

4. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

in a feature film script, the set-up needs to be complete by page 10... how you do that can be via action or any other means that works... but if you don't have a good hook of an opening, no agent is going to read past the first few pages... and if your writing and formatting aren't professional quality, no one will read past the first page...

this thread really belongs down in the scripts section... you can ask a moderator to move it for you...

i write/rewrite/edit screenplays and have mentored many aspiring screenwriters, so feel free to email me if you want help along the way, sam...

love and hugs, maia
    maia3maia@hotmai.com