1. BWFC326

BWFC326 New Member

Story Idea, opinions needed

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by BWFC326, Oct 20, 2009.

Hello everyone,

This is my first posting here having just registered, from what I have read so far it looks like just the place I need to be.

My story will sound familiar - I believe I have good story ideas, good enough to be aired, what format they should manifest in, is only one of my dilemmas.

I have been aching and wondering for many years, since childhood in fact, about whether I have what it takes to become a professional writer.

What I am looking for is a kind of mentor I suppose, or somewhere I can get feedback and advice on my story ideas, is this the place?

Kind Regards

Barry

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Hello Barry, Welcome to the Writing Forums.

Story ideas aren't really worth much. What matters is how well you turn it into a completed short story or novel.

Posting your own work should not be among the very first things you do here anyway. It is worth taking the time to see what other people have done to improve their writing, and see if some of it applies to your writing as well. That is part of why we require members to review other members' work before posting their own for review. On the other hand, there are no restrictions, other than content and copyright rules, on showcasing your work in your member blog.

Also, be aware that posting a piece of writing on any public site, including this one, will greatly diminish your chances of selling it for publication. Removing the writing later does not alter that fact - once posted, it is irreversibly considered published. So do not post anything more than a small excerpt of any piece you are planning to submit for publication.

If you haven't explored the site yet, you should probably do so soon. Newcomers often gravitate to the Lounge, the Word Games, or the Review Room, but there is much more to be discovered if you poke in the corners. Remember to check out our FAQ as well, and be sure to read through the forum rules, too, to avoid any misunderstandings or hurt feelings. Respect for one another is our principal mandate.

As for the Review Room, new joiners often wonder why we do things a bit differently on this site than on other writing sites. We emphasize constructive critique as a vital writing skill. Training your eye by reviewing other people's work helps you improve your own writing even before you present it for others to see. Therefore, we ask members to review other people's writing before posting work of their own. The Review Room forums on this site, therefore, are true workshops, not just a bulletin board for displaying your work (and on that note, please only post each item for review in one Review Room forum). Also, please use the same thread for all revisions and additional excerpts from the same piece of writing. See this post, Why Write Reviews Before Posting My Work? for more information.

And while you're looking around, don't forget to check out our Weekly Short Story Contest and Weekly Poetry Contest. They actually run more than one week apiece, but any member may enter, and all members are urged to vote for their favorites.

Enjoy your stay here, and have fun!

3. ManhattanMss

ManhattanMss New Member

Hi, Barry. Welcome aboard. You're in a great place to meet others with similar interests, as well as to hear from writers who are into the process of discovering and unfolding the pathway to meeting their own writing objectives. For the best writers, I don't think this outcome is ever a place they arrive, but is instead (or becomes) a driving force and an unending, lifelong challenge.

I can assure you there's nothing wrong with your "ideas," although this is something you'll probably have to learn for yourself, since all really good writers I've ever met or read share some degree of uncertainty and self-doubt. I believe you'll find as you grow into the writer you're going to become that it's not the idea that makes or breaks the story you tell. It's the writing itself--plain and simple.

With that in mind, the way to find out if you have what it takes to be a "professional writer" is to take your own writing seriously enough to learn how to do it exceptionally well, to read in abundance both works you enjoy and those you can learn from, and (I think most importantly) to learn how to make educated, discriminating choices about what it takes to convert those ideas of yours into compelling stories. Experiment with various kinds of writing--fiction, nonfiction, poetry, etc.--to see what kind of flavor your ideas benefit from most and to figure out what gives you the best opportunities for both self-expression and career or professional opportunities (which is very likely to send you down pathways that branch out in different directions).

I think if you aim for openness of mind wherever you find it (in yourself and in others), whatever you experience in this fascinating process will stretch your imagination and contribute in a positive way to your writing and storytelling skills.

I hope you enjoy the ride!:)

4. Gigi_GNR

Gigi_GNR Guys, come on. WAFFLE-O. Contributor

welcome to the forums!! :)

5. fantasy girl

fantasy girl New Member

Welcome to the forums Barry, you will find out anything and everything you need to know here. If one person doesn't know the answer, someone else will.

What Genre(s) do you enjoy writing?

Fantasy Girl xx

6. gitamo

gitamo New Member

currently Philladelphia, usually Australia
    Welcome!

I'm only a few days new here and have found the site a invaluable source of information and feedback.

Have fun!

7. von Pook

von Pook Member

Hello and welcome :D

8. BWFC326

BWFC326 New Member

Thank you to all and nice to meet you all.

Firstly, I am not here to get what I want and just leave, no, I enjoy helping others as it helps my own learning. I'm a veteran of other forums, different genres but similar etiquettes and codes abounded. I first encountered this site some years ago, I didnt join as I don't think I was past the curious stage back then.

My first hurdle I believe, will be to work out what my style will be, ie is my writing for literature? TV? poetry? I have a feeling nay wry interest in writing for film (smirks) having visited Pinewood Studios with a production company and getting to 'mix' it with some industry insiders. I have also received some guidance from an ex Eastenders screenwriter so my slant I think is going to be visual story telling, but I want to be sure! I mean could I write a book? could I? I seem able to start with a spark or seed and just pour it lava like straight onto paper in 1 session, I think my first problem is my own confidence!

My genres are thrillers, horror, comedy and social drama.

I will help out as much as I am able, I'll just have to get myself accustomed to the site and its features first.

Best Regards

Barry