1. samessex

samessex New Member

Story idea

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by samessex, Mar 2, 2009.

Hi everyone.
    just wanted some advice and feedback really. well my story is going to be along the lines of a chick lit/romance/comedy type sort of thing. :)
    im starting to worry that it will become a bit to cliche. girl meets boy, boy meets girl, hate each other, then fall inlove. hmmm??
    anything anyone can recommend to avoid, or use in this genre, would be great!
    thanks, sam x

2. DragonGrim

DragonGrim New Member

You can’t go cliché with boy meets girl and so on. There are many ways to meet, many ways to hate each other, and many circumstances in which to fall in love.

3. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

A story concept means nothing. I can tell you now, it has been done before. What matters is how you write it, the characterization, the flow, the imagery, all of it.

There's no point to asking what other people think of the concept! They'll either say,"Sounds great," or, "it sounds like a ripoff of..."

If the idea stirs you, write it. Then ask people what they think of the final story. After they tell you what they don't like about it, revise it, usually several times, until you're happy with it or until you throw up your hands and say the hell with it.

Please read this thread about What is Plot Creation and Development?

(and yes, this is a template post, which should give you an idea of how often this comes up.)

Forget cliche. Think of it as a classic theme instead. And to paraphrase Nike: Just write it.

4. samessex

samessex New Member

hi guys, thanks for your replies!
    yeah your right, theres tons of different variations within this genre.
    so far, ive decided my leading lady is going to work for her fathers sucessful advertising agency. however whilst away on a business trip, father brings in a new business partner (the leading man). So, they eventually meet and get off on the wrong foot. have a bit of a love hate relationship, flirting going on etc etc etc. havent thought up the whole story as of yet. just plans and rough ideas. anyhow, they eventually give in and start to fall for eachother.
    what do you think? any constructive criticism very welcome! thanks!x :p

5. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Again:

In any case, this is not the area of the site to ask for critiques.

6. pacmansays

pacmansays New Member

Well even if the genres been down to death if you can write good enough in it then that's great...generally as a person browsing for stories i'll go for ones that seem a bit more unique but doesn't mean your book is going to be any worse or any better...

I know people who can read and love hundreds of chick lits

7. samessex

samessex New Member

sorry cogito, i didnt realise.
    no need to be so snappy!

8. traffic101

traffic101 New Member

Hi, I think you are on to something interesting. Should be a good story start. I would just start writing and see where it takes you. Good luck!

9. samessex

samessex New Member

hi traffic101!! thank you for your reply.
    yeah, i have been writing for a few weeks on and off and done quite a lot. i have days where i feel i like i love my story, then days where i think god where am i actually going with this. today is a love day! :p
    maybe will post a chapter or so on here in the future?
    take care, thanks again hunny!