1. Sam Bennett

Sam Bennett New Member

Story written inside the main characters head

Discussion in 'Dialogue Development' started by Sam Bennett, Feb 2, 2016.

I am writing a story as a way to help myself. The way that I am writing it is through the mind of the main character. So a lot of the story is inner dialogue and the rest is conversations that the character has with other characters or what the main character can hear.

The idea is that the main character is taking the reader on a journey through the main characters mind. So a lot of the text is the inner thoughts. However, I am having trouble with bulking it out.

Any thoughts and ideas on how writing in the style can be done? Also if anyone knows of books done like this before would be great for research.

2. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    Is your character having a thing like Golem/Smeagl, or something? That is kind of how it sounds, like a split personality schizophrenia. So are there other people around or are they figments of the MC's imagination? I am totally confused about your premise, sounds interesting but a little to complicated for me. I hope somebody else can help you cause I am lost on where you are going with this. Best of luck to you. :p Also Hi and welcome to the forum. :D

3. King Arthur

King Arthur Banned

How does writing it help you?

4. furzepig

furzepig Member

I wrote a story something like that once . . . the main character had secrets he didn't trust anybody else with, but wanted to communicate and be understood. So he created a collection of imaginary friends that he could talk to.

The way I went about it was to actually write up some character specs, just as if the characters weren't going to be imaginary friends. Then I had the MC talk to them and respond to them, but without showing any of their replies. The effect was like hearing half a phone conversation, or listening to Han Solo talk to Chewbacca. You could understand what was going on even though one entity never spoke.

I'll be honest, here--most of my readers seemed to find the device confusing, especially at first, so I don't know if I can recommend it.

One thing I did not do is the whole stream of consciousness thing . . . I don't usually like the way that comes across, and I sure don't feel qualified to write it.

5. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

What are you trying to accomplish by "bulking the story out"?

6. Sam Bennett

Sam Bennett New Member

The story is written as though the reader is inside the MC head so there is a bit a 4th wall breaking. I am finding it a bit hard describing the world around the MC.

@King Arthur it helps me because I have depression and it is a way for me to express what is going on inside.

7. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

MC head/4th wall breaking, not a problem.

What you might consider is to expand beyond the inner dialogue and describe what the character sees, hears, feels, smells, experiences.

8. tonguetied

tonguetied Contributor Contributor

Okay I admit I am no master English student (not even close) so I have to ask, what is different about the OPs style and writing in first person?