1. John Carlo

John Carlo Active Member

How do I write out a technical feature on an electronic device?

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by John Carlo, Dec 5, 2012.

Does anyone know the proper way to write Repeat (as in the repeat button on an iPod)? I've been trying to search online for manuals of style on technical writing. Found a few things, but kind of ambiguous. Should I just capitalize, put it in quotes, italicize or what?

The exact sentence is in a line of dialog: "You should leave it on Repeat tonight."

2. Mckk

Mckk Member Supporter Contributor

It should be just a normal word - that's not even a technical thing. "Repeat" is a verb too, after all.

3. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

technically, it could probably be in " " [or ' ' since it's within dialog here] but i see that as optional in this case...

4. Pheonix

Pheonix A Singer of Space Operas and The Fourth Mod of RP Contributor

I think in that case, it's such a common term that most people will get what you mean right away without any special fontery of punctuation.

5. Pauly Pen Feathers

Pauly Pen Feathers New Member

The iPad user manual treats functions as Capitals. i.e., "To schedule quiet hours, allow specific people to call, or allow repeated FaceTime calls to ring through, go to Settings."

And...

"Allow persistant callers to ring through: Turn on Repeated Calls. If the same caller (based on their FaceTime ID) calls you twice within three minutes, iPad will ring." Google "iPad manual, PDF" if you like.

6. John Carlo

John Carlo Active Member

Thanks, I didn't think of checking the iPad manual. Feel a little silly. I'll go with caps for now.

7. digitig

digitig Contributor Contributor

Orpington, Bromley, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    Maybe, but the iPad is called the "iPad", so I'm not convinced its manual is a reliable guide to conventional English capitalisation.

8. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

That's really a (snide?) nipick, because iPad is a trademark, and the capitalization of a trademark should be retained.

9. digitig

digitig Contributor Contributor

Orpington, Bromley, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    I agree that the capitalisation of iPad should be retained, but it indicates that Apple plays with capitalisation.

Actually as somebody who writes technical reports for a living, capitalisation is a constant battle for me, because most of the other engineers want to capitalise any word they think relates to an important concept. I will only capitalise "project plan" if it's part of the title of a document, but most of the other engineers will capitalise every use of it, and quite possibly every use of "plan" ("We will develop a Plan for managing the Project..."). If challenged they can't give any reason for the capitalisation other than it feeling "right", but my documents then get criticised for following standard capitalisation rules. It's heading towards the German system of capitalising all nouns. Because of that habit, which seems to be common among engineers, I wouldn't take any equipment manual as any indication whatsoever of whether "repeat" should be capitalised.

10. Pauly Pen Feathers

Taken from "4 Golden Rules of Capitalization in Technical Documents" google it for more info.

11. Pauly Pen Feathers

It looks like Sony capitalizes EVERYTHING when referring to a function in their "Blu-ray Discâ„¢/ DVD Home Theatre System" manual, however, when referring to a Sub Menu item they cap only the first letter of the word as in "Sound Mode", in this example. The "X/x" are actually up and down arrows.

12. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

Companies have certain house rules, and I don't think they should be the guidelines to consult when it comes to fiction. If it were me, I wouldn't capitalize "repeat" because it's a normal word like "play" or "pause."

13. philaz

philaz New Member

In my opinion, it should be capitalized. That's how it's usually done.