1. Michaelstickland

Michaelstickland New Member

been mulling over this plot for a few days, interesting?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Michaelstickland, Jan 7, 2010.

I have no clear sight of the end yet of the plot but I want to see if the idea I had seemed ok. Basically it is about a scientist who is trying to figure out the unitary theory (i.e an over riding law of science to which all things are governed). In his path to enlightenment he comes to a existentialist idea that all life is meaningless and embarks on a quest to never learn anything again other than he can never understand the world and that death is the only certainty.

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

A story concept means nothing. I can tell you now, it has been done before. What matters is how you write it, the characterization, the flow, the imagery, all of it.

There's no benefit in asking what other people think of the concept! They'll either say,"Sounds great," or, "it sounds like a ripoff of..."

If the idea stirs you, write it. Then ask people what they think of the final story. After they tell you what they don't like about it, revise it, usually several times, until you're happy with it or until you throw up your hands and say the hell with it.

Please read this thread about What is Plot Creation and Development?

By the way, I think you mean unified theory. Einstein sought such a theory himself, unsuccessfully. Unitary theory is something else.

3. writewizard

writewizard New Member

You have to put your origonal spin on it and write, write, write!

4. captain kate

captain kate Senior Member

Einstein's Unified Field Theory

Actually, Cog, he published it then pulled it and put it back out incomplete saying mankind wouldn't be ready for it until after we had WW3.... :)

some of the conspiracy theorists say it was the tech behind the Philadelphia experiment

5. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

In reality, he was not even close to a workable theory. What he thought needed just a few tweaks was actually leading nowhere.

Anyway, off topic.

6. Neo

Neo Member

Make him an anti-hero - his existentialist awakening leaves him thinking that mankind can only cause damage so resolves to kill them all off.