Tags:
  1. William Lowe Clark

William Lowe Clark New Member

Star Trek Fan Fiction (STA)

Discussion in 'Collaboration' started by William Lowe Clark, Feb 28, 2012.

A friend and I are conspiring together to craft a story (hopefully to turn into a series) in the Star Trek universe (post-Nemesis era). This is a just-for-fun (amateur) en-devour purely for the pleasure of crafting a story in the Star Trek universe.

One of the biggest things that appeals to me about Star Trek is its bases on current scientific knowledge. On that note, to keep our story as realistic as possible, I thought having a panel of individuals specialized in various fields with whom to consult for story accurateness and realisticness would be advantageous--to keep the particulars of the story accurate to known fact.

Since we're only Freshman-college age, we don't have a lot of technical expertise to fall back on. Consultants would be helpful to provide us the medical condition Bashir finds in the patient that is the turning point in the story, or the scientific law that allows Nog to get the Enterprise out of trouble just in time; and to help us know what is realistic and probable, and what is wrong, by known fact or principle.

If this sounds interesting to you, post a reply.

2. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

which of these do you really mean?

3. IncompleteSenten

IncompleteSenten New Member

Many of Trek's medical conditions weren't discovered on Earth so you're free to use whatever malady you think will make an interesting story and name it whatever you want. If you want you can ask a consultant if the symptoms you want your condition to have are plausable.

As to scientific laws don't forget that Trek constantly goes against what science says is currently possible. Faster than light travel is simply impossible according to everything we know today. Disassembling someone and reforming them somewhere else (beaming) may actually kill them and leave you with a corpse. Again, the keyword here is "plausable". Although consultants may be helpful here too if you present your ideas well enough your audience will accept them.

And welcome to the forums.

4. Unit7

Unit7 Contributor Contributor

I think he means both. By series he doesn't mean published and is planning to write a bunch of different fanfictions based around his continuity of events. I had planned on something similar in forms of short stories for a different TV show. Only got about 1 short story in before I dropped the project. Well almost two I guess.