Student-Teacher Relationship: sexual or a legal plot?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by wolferz, Nov 26, 2009.

1. Gigi_GNR

Gigi_GNR Guys, come on. WAFFLE-O. Contributor

Ouch, duly noted.

I think you should just write what you feel. If you don't like it, you can always revise. But just let yourself go for the original draft.

Hopefully that wasn't utterly pointless.

Edit: Your idea sounds incredible! Can't wait to hear more of it.

2. Destin

Destin New Member

Sounds fantastic Wolferz.

Now the only problem is crunching out 100000 words about it.

Best of luck!

3. madhoca

madhoca Contributor Contributor

Wolf, this middle-aged guy with no family creeps me out already. The pee aspect grosses me out, too. And if she has Asperger's and he knows there's something odd about her, the plot is teetering towards abuse.
    So you should be onto a winner if you are a good enough writer but otherwise...hmnnn...

4. architectus

architectus Banned

The second is different enough that I think it is worth writing.

5. Phantasmal Reality

Phantasmal Reality New Member

Write what you want to write about and don't worry about what other people think. You're not going to please everyone; just please your target audience. Don't be controversial just for the sake of being controversial; it'll show and people will pan you for it. Be true to yourself first and foremost. :)

That being said, the first thing I thought of when I saw this post was, "Haven't both of these already been done before?" If you're going to write either one, I recommend you see what else is out there and try to come up with a fresh take on it. I'm afraid a story that focuses solely on a sexual relationship between a student and teacher will fail to grab a lot of people unless it's really deep, original, or shocking. You don't want the following conversation to take place:

"What was that guy's book about?"

"Some teacher has sex (or was accused of having sex) with his student."

"Oh, really? That's it?"

"Pretty much."

6. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

Pretty much any book can be reduced to such simpleness. Lolita is about a guy having sex with a young girl. But there's more to it than just that. Lolita is considered a good book because of its superb writing. Similarly, how this book turns out is largely dependent on the writer and not on the plot. Like I said before, don't be controversial just for its own sake.

7. Phantasmal Reality

Phantasmal Reality New Member

Deep, original, or shocking. You can write a good story about a molding loaf of bread if you can think of a way to make it one of those three things (or a combination of them). That puts a bit of pressure on the writer though, no? He's going to have to write it superbly, as you said. No doubt that it can be done, but it's going to be harder than writing a book with a premise that grabs people on its own.

8. love2listen

love2listen New Member

One of my favorite books is a YA novel about a high school senior who has an affair with her much older teacher. Its called Teach Me by RA Nelson. She has this passionate romance with him and then finds out he is engaged.....I wont spoil it, just read it :D

9. thePenDragon

thePenDragon New Member

Those both sound like really interesting ideas! The complications of a student with Aspbergers would set that idea apart from similar stories I've heard of. I agree that it's kind of creepy though. Two ideas came to mind for me to solve that problem.

You could bump the girl's age up and make her a college student in a similar situation. I'm in college, I know several girls with Aspbergers, and several rather good-looking professors. ;) In my mind that would be a believable situation, and very interesting for readers in my age group. If there was a 20-odd-year age difference between the two characters, that would still give it the "ew" factor that would have to be overcome in the course of the story.

#2: I think there's an interesting challenge here for a writer. The reader will naturally have problems with a 40+ teacher being involved with a highschool aged girl. But what if you want to challenge those views? If the writing is strong, I can see you turning this into a really eye-opening story about how a relationship like this might actually be functional and decent. Taking on those popular biases might make this a really moving and different story.

Good luck, whatever you choose!

10. Destin

Destin New Member

The key to making it not weird will be to find some way to earn the reader's sympathy. You've got to show that he is in fact a normal guy in an abnormal situation, not a creepy guy trying to take advantage of mentally disabled girls.

11. Delphinus

Delphinus New Member

It can be all too easy for a professional relationship to become a romantic one. Why not explore the idea of the teacher-student relationship developing into something more through perfectly innocent actions that any teaching professional would make time for (extra lessons at breaks, helping explain homework in more detail). Probably best, though, is to start the interest with the student rather than the teacher.

Of course, such a secret, innocent thing makes its own twist if they get discovered...

"...don't you know that all things,
    Hang as if by string o'er the darkness,
    Poised to fall?"

Thrice, Beggars. Thought it seemed appropriate.

12. writewizard

writewizard New Member

The second, I can't read graphic sex scenes. I would not do undiagnosed Asperger's though, I'd do more the bad home life, something like that.

13. DvnMrtn

DvnMrtn Active Member

You could make either of the situation interesting. Although as a student-teacher the thought of either disturbs me