1. WrestlingFan101

WrestlingFan101 New Member

Style of Storytelling and Ending A Big Battle

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by WrestlingFan101, Nov 25, 2016.

This is a 2part Question.
    Part 1 Question. Could this style of storytelling work?
    My MC is a 16 year old indy wrestler who is a babyface (good guy) and has a match with another 16 year indy wrestler who is a heel (bad guy) for they city televised wrestling company. This isn't the wrestling you see in the gym at school. Its the wrestling you see in WWE. I want to build up they rivalry and have they rivalry end at a PPV (Climax part in the book). I want to leave they rivalry inside the ring and be built around the ring with little or no interaction outside the ring. Just like WWE build storylines for they wrestlers.
    But my problem is would this kind of story telling work for a novel since the only time these two characters come into contact with each other is inside the ring Like it is for WWE stories? I only plan to write from my MC POV and there are subplots surrounding his life.

Part 2 Question. How to end a big battle scene?
    In the story i mentioned above, my MC turns heel (the bad guy) at the climax (PPV event) point of the story. His opponent pins him with a roll-up, he gets angry and attacks him after the match and even attacks the referee. This leads to the big battle scene that takes place in a neighborhood field where my MC and his huge group of friends meets up to fight the person he lost his match against and his huge group of friends.
    How do i end this battle?
    Do i show some of the fighting and then jump ahead to the ending of the battle and show who won and who lost?

2. FireWater

FireWater Senior Member

1st part:
    I don't see why not. For some golden info on how to plot a story structure, check out the website Story Fix (run by Larry Brooks) and search for the info on Story Structure.

2nd part:
    To determine the best way to end the battle, you need to first know what the real MAIN conflict is. Obviously the match with the other wrestler, but why? What's the underlying depth under the surface? Does he want to win to prove he's not a weakling, either to someone else or to himself? Is he trying to overcome something within his own self, or gain an external reward? Is his opponent an enemy of his in a way that's more significant than just the wrestling match? In the best stories, the hero is up against the obvious external opponent, but also fighting for/against a more meaningful big-picture ideal or something inside of himself. In order to determine the best ending, think in terms of the deeper story, not just "one fighter versus the other."
    And in terms of how much fighting to show, that's completely your choice and you can do whatever you want, but if you do then just make sure to study how to write a good action scene.

jannert and Simpson17866 like this.
  3. WNP

WNP Member

I'm confused. If this is like WWE, the whole fight is scripted and the fighters would know who's going to win before the fight?
    So why does your MC get so angry?

And also he's supposed to be the good guy, yet he's such a sore loser than he decides to commit assault on not only the other wrestler but also the referee? Then goes and organises a street brawl just to prove he's a big man. He sounds more like the bad guy IMO.

There may be other conflicts in the story that drive him to act that way for all I know, but it's something to think about.

But in terms of ending the battle, I imagine this would be broken up by the police, so you could always have it end with everyone running from the cops (those that can still walk).

4. WrestlingFan101

WrestlingFan101 New Member

lol no, its like an actually fighting sport in my story world, like the UFC where you have to be a good fighter to win or at least better than your opponent. So the matches aren't 'scripted".

He doesn't organizes the street brawl. The person he assaulted after the match does.

And does it matter how long the fight/battle scene should be before the cops show up?

5. WNP

WNP Member

Ah ok, that makes more sense. In terms of how long the brawl should last, I guess that depends on a few things. Mainly, what do you want the outcome of the brawl to be? And where the fight takes place. If it's near a town centre, I imagine the police would be on it pretty quick. If it's out somewhere more remote, with less people to see and report it, it could go on for a while