Tags:
  1. Snowball

Snowball New Member

Sub-Plot Break Up Advice!

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Snowball, Jun 18, 2020.

Okay, so this might be the most random question ever but here you go.

So, I'm writing this story and in said story, one of my main characters and her boyfriend split up. They have a bit of an argument, a few mean words are said and then she calls it quits. The thing is, they remain friends (because they were childhood friends before they got together etc.) and have mutual friends.

Then, later on in the book, I need a reason for her to go round to his house. This meeting (and a dodgy Christmas party two days later) eventually leads them to getting back together.

The plan is she sees him with another girl (on this visit to his house), realises she's jealous and still loves him. And then at the Christmas party they are both at, (held by their mutual friends) they talk, shout at each other and eventually make up.

This is actually a sub plot, so there is more to the story than this, but I'm not going to go into detail.

The only problem is, I can't work out why she would possibly need to go to his house? I assumed it would be to collect something, but I don't know how that would work because when they split they were homeless and in between houses (this is what caused the break up. It's a long story).

So, she couldn't really have left anything in his house because she never actually lived at this house? Make sense? (I'm not brill at explaining things. Especially when it makes so much sense in my head).

So, any ideas? Or anyone experienced with break ups?

This is my first post on this forum and I'd be really grateful for any ideas. I do hope this question is not stupid, but I'm really pulling my hair out trying to figure this out!

(And yes I know I said they remained friends after they split but they are not totally friendly with each other. More like acquaintances. And as acquaintances she has not justifiable reason to just pop round to his house).

Thanks in advance.

(And yes I know I said they remained friends after they split, but even so they are not totally friendly with each other. More like acquaintances. And as acquaintances I can think of no justifiable reason for her to just pop round to his house).

Last edited: Jun 18, 2020
  2. J.T. Woody

J.T. Woody Book Witch Contributor

They have mutual friends. Maybe she goes there with a mutual friend.
    Maybe she said something in their argument and it really messed with her and she wanted to go back and explain/clear her conscience.

How old are these characters?

Snowball likes this.
  3. Xoic

Xoic Prognosticator of Arcana Ridiculosum Contributor Blogerator

If it's true that she still loves him but just doesn't admit it to herself, then she would concoct any reason. So psychologically, just about anything you come up with would work, and in fact the less likely the better.

Alternately, it doesn't have to be something she left at his house. Maybe some small object that can be worn or carried in a pocket? Or something she feels she needs to say to him, some question she needs to ask?

Or maybe her new job (if she has one) involves going door to door and she just happens to end up at his door through random blind chance.

Or possibly she's lost something she needs, a piece of paper with an important phone number on it or something, and she doesn't know but suspects he might have taken it?

My question would be, how does she know where he lives now? Maybe she sees him on the street somewhere and concocts a reason to follow him, and discovers where he lives.

Snowball likes this.
  4. Catrin Lewis

Catrin Lewis Contributor Contributor Community Volunteer Contest Winner 2023

Does anybody else live at the ex-boyfriend's house? Maybe she has to go there to see his roomie (to pick up something for work, maybe), and finds out (shock!) that the ex lives there, too.

Maybe the roomie is the other girl she sees him with? And he's not really "with her," he's just "with" her?

The best and coolest thing to do is look at these characters' lives in the rest of your story and pull something out that will force them to meet up again.

Snowball and jannert like this.
  5. Thorn Cylenchar

Thorn Cylenchar Senior Member

When they broke up he accidentally held onto something of hers that she now needs to get back-ss card, birth certificate, flash drive with childhood photos, key to lockbox in bank, ect

Snowball likes this.