1. Bethany35

Bethany35 Active Member

Submitting a film idea

Discussion in 'Scripts and screenplays' started by Bethany35, Sep 19, 2015.

Hi
    does anyone know how to submit an idea and synopsis to Hollywood? I don't think I have the knowledge to write the full script myself but would like to see how far it goes.
    Thanks
    Beth

2. Uberwatch

Uberwatch Active Member

I don't know about selling ideas but if you need help learning to write a screenplay, I suggest this guide.
    https://www.writersstore.com/how-to-write-a-screenplay-a-guide-to-scriptwriting/

If you need software that can help format your writing into an industry-standard screenplay, I recommend Celtx. It's free.
    https://www.celtx.com/index.html
    Or if you want to spend money on something more premium, get Final Draft.
    https://www.finaldraft.com/

You might be able to find an agent online to mail or send your script to but the chances are actually slim for an agent to even read your script. They get dozens or even hundreds of screenplays. Only a few get read and a very small few get sold let alone being turned into an actual film production. I am also an aspiring screenwriter but it takes patience, time and effort to master screenwriting.

Good luck.

3. Bethany35

Bethany35 Active Member

I guess what I need to do is form a realistic vision of 50 years in the future, I already use Celtx :)

4. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

You'll have a hard time with just an idea. First, that's not worth much monetarily. Hard to get Hollywood to pay you for an idea. Second, you have very little protection for just an idea. At least write a treatment and register the copyright and register it with the WGA. That may get you something, but even then if you don't have a screenplay I think you'll have a hard time getting interest (and it's hard enough when you DO have one).

5. james82

james82 Active Member

You're not really trying to submit an idea, you're trying to sell a pitch, but without an actual script
    to back up that pitch, it's near impossible and like others have said, it's near impossible even with
    a script!