1. Torana

Torana Contributor Contributor

Worst and Best Poets

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by Torana, Apr 10, 2007.

Ok well who would be you favourite poet, not on the forums but published poet?
    Who do you consider to be the best poet and why?

Who is the one poet you dislike?
    What do you not like about their work?

~Torana

2. wordwizard

wordwizard New Member

I actually dont have a favorite poet since I am pretty new to this. I came to this forum to write some stories, but ended up falling head over heels for poetry.
    I even think of new poem ideas when I am sleeping-haha. such a liitle nerd I am. The one poet/writer I am not a fan of is william shakespear. I just can never grasp it. Maybe it is because it is forced upon us in grade school and becomes a chore. Who knows.
    I will look into some poets to see whose style I like.
    Who is your favorite torana?

3. Torana

Well my favourite is actually William Shakespeare. lol as far as I am concerned he is the best poet of all time. :D
    We all have our own opinions though.
    But yes a lot of teachers do that with shakespeare as his works are amazing and so different to any other poetry you will read. I think they really need to back off with that so that his works can actually be appreciated a little more.

As for worst poet, there is really a poet I dislike yet. When I find one I will let you know.

~Torana

4. goodtik

goodtik New Member

my favourite poems are Brits, other than Poe.
    Wordsworth, Byron, Shelley, Yeats, and Brooke.

My worst poets would be modern poets who think rhyme is beneath them. They may rot slow if you ask me.

5. Torana

Fair enough. I recently came to the conclusion that I dislike the works of Edgar Allan Poe. I was reading some of his works recently and they were just terrible and I have personally read some better poetry on this forum.....

I'm sorry but it just annoys me that someone like Poe can write a few good ones then a whole load of not so good ones and still be concidered and amazing poet.

There are some exceptional poetry writers here that in my opinion have written better poetry than Poe has and I have spent a lot of time reading his works

(but hey that is just my own personal opinion anyways.)

6. JetBlack

JetBlack Banned

I find it interesting that the above members, are judging poets and authors who are literary geniuses.

7. goodtik

goodtik New Member

so, I guess I should keep my opinions to myself then, alright?

8. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

No, goodtik, you can feel free to share your opinions.

JetBlack, I think that was a bit harsh really. It doesn't matter of your standard. Anyone who can read can enjoy literature, and having opinions on it should not be reserved for those who have advanced qualifications in it. May I remind you that plenty of great authors and poets have no academic training in English? And besides, you have no idea how qualified or knowledgeable people are on here.

Anyway, back on topic, my favourite poets would have to be TS Eliot, Poe (sorry Torana :p) and Robert Browning. I don't really have a worst poet to contribute.

9. JetBlack

JetBlack Banned

And I must say that's an interesting choice; TS Eliot, whilst being a genius he was also a:
    Sexist
    Xenophobe
    Homophobe
    and in particular, he really hated Jews.

10. Banzai

I said I liked his poetry, not him as a person. For example, I think some of Hitler's art was very good; that doesn't mean I approve of his slaughtering of Jews/Communists/homosexuals/anyone else who got in his way.

And fair enough if your opinions differ to mine, but I simply felt it was a little unfair of you to chastise people for expressing their opinions.

11. JetBlack

JetBlack Banned

I said it was an interesting choice, everybody likes his poetry, because as i said, he was a genius.

12. Banzai

Apologies if I came across a bit strong there, but I found it a little offensive that you seemed to be belittling the talents of forum members. But if I misunderstood, then I apologise, and at any rate, I think we should probably leave this now.

1 person likes this.
  13. Gannon

Gannon Contributor Contributor

My favourites come from amongst those I have studied:

Seamus Heany for realist and wonderful imagery
    Robert Desnos for experimentation and imagination
    And Alexander Pushkin for his story telling qualities

And does Tim Burton count for his Oyster Boy collection - that's great too for reasons fo creativity

Sometimes I'm less keen on the classics like Baudelaire or Wordsworth but that just depends on my mood.

14. Banzai

We did some of his poetry in GCSE English. I can't remember much about him, apart from the fact that he's Irish, and he was quite good. I may dig out my GCSE anthology now...

15. Torana

JetBlack, I am no genious when it comes to litersture. I am merely giving my own opinion. Some of his work is rather good, but then there is some of his work that I find is not that good of quality.
    It goes to say with any person that writes poetry, lyrics, etc.
    I just personally dislike his poetry, and I do not say that I am excellent at writing poetry either as I know I am not, hence my reason for joining a writing forum. To better my writing, like many others.
    It's like music, I like heavy metal and the next person may like country. It is all to do with personal choice and taste. Not everyone has the same taste and there are many who dislike Shakespeare and I feel that he is a genious.
    We are all different and have to learn that we won't all like the same things in life.

Torana

16. goodtik

goodtik New Member

see, this is why I don't venture away from the word game forums. everyone here was having a good time talking about poets, and then someone comes along who has to ruin everyone's feelings because they want to seem superior to all the others.

17. JetBlack

JetBlack Banned

fixed.

18. Banzai

That was completely uncalled for, JetBlack. This fighting on the forum needs to stop, now.

19. JetBlack

JetBlack Banned

I do not fight,
    I win.

20. Frost

Frost Active Member

This is true; Jetblack does dominate when it comes to flame wars. Im sure I could oust him though :p(Only joking there; don't take offene).

Goodtik - you are not so innocent yourself. If I may call on a quote from the first page:
    This would seem to many people, including me, as a straight up flame. Because I am one of these 'modern poets who think rhyme is beneath them' according to you, who may 'rot slow if we ask you'. That doesn't demonstrate open minded approach to poetry. You imply that us of a more modernist style are arrogant snobs, yet I doubt you've read a single piece of mine, which automatically shows that to be a highly ignorant statement. It also, when you react so definisively to Jetblack, highlights a hypocritical streak.

However, I am only going on what I've seen in this thread; you may not be what I have suggested at all. Highly probable, in fact that your not. But you only get one chance at a first impression.

Might I also add, that modernists and modern poetry are called that because they are keeping with the times. They are staying contemproary. They are doing new things. Thus, by saying that rhyme is beneath them, you show your ignorance, because it's not that rhyme is beneath them - it's that rhyme has been done. Thoroughly at that. There is incredibly little you can do that is original and fresh rhyming wise - you pretty much HAVE to be a poetic genius to do so.

Back on topic however. One of my favourite poems is Robert Frost(no screename connection). I also like the works of Ezra Pound(naturally). I like to read poetry from all times though, to see how it changes.

21. Raven

Raven Banned

Word Of Warning JetBlack keep your conduct within your replies polite.

~Raven.

22. goodtik

goodtik New Member

thank you Raven for your presence here. I would really like to know what exactly jetblack posted next to my name on page 2.
    if there is any evidence of illegal actions on his part, I have the right to know about this, and the right to defend myself in a legal proceeding.
    I have little patience in matters like these.

23. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

What you see is what he posted. Nothing illegal, nothing libelous, just what you see.

The warning has been posted; best to just let the comment slide off you, in my opinion.

Patience is the best antidote for incendiary remarks.

24. Banzai

Agreed. It was out of line, but it has been dealt with, so that's that.

25. IndianaJoan

IndianaJoan New Member

I am adding my support to Hulls here.

Jetblack, you're really treading it here. To everyone else, the best way to quell an argument is to let idiots fight only with themselves.

Do not respond to flames with flames and please feel free to report if offended.

I deleted some content in some of the posts because frankly its embarassing to have visitors to this forum see such stupidity.

Thanks Hulls for all you do. Thanks guys for your patience with us.