1. GUST9897

GUST9897 New Member

Suggestions on unfinished magical system involving music

Discussion in 'Setting Development' started by GUST9897, Feb 25, 2023.

So I have a little problem about my magic system. It's actually my first time doing something like that and a layman in music theory but I'm trying to study little by little but in summary: I was thinking of creating a system of magic in which sound (and music) was the greatest driving force and was so powerful that all organic and inorganic matter depended on it. Animals, humans, plants, elements of nature and even the universe itself were connected with it and all this thanks to sound vibrations, frequencies, intervals, chords and progressions and how they interact with mind and matter itself.

The channeling of magic could be through musical instruments, vocalization (from whispering certain words to the act of singing) and cymatic symbols tattooed or drawn somewhere. Its manifestations could range from curing the flu by some soft melody to energy projection or manipulation of the fabric of reality for seconds ou little hours by a very dense sound frequency. Your type of instrument, melody and material that you would be able to control would depend on the musical elemental assigned to you through the constellation present in the heavens on the date of your birth.

Other issues to consider:

• “All magic is music but not all music is magic”: not all sounds produced in worlds can generate magical effects. Certain notes, words and sequences create different results, including whispering specific words that have some connotation with music (I haven't developed that part very well yet)
    • The musical components of children's voices have a sacred aspect, however, they are lost when reaching puberty.
    • People with perfect pitch and singing voices gain a lot of social power.
    • Emotions, intention, soul purpose (person's character), metaphors and aptitude are the basis for music production.
    • Music acquires specific characteristics according to the four worlds, possessing magical power to a greater or lesser extent depending on the amount of sanium lines (energy musical) available. In this way, it is divided into the following manifestations: physical, mental and hybrid.
    • The physical manifestations of music are presented in situational issues when invoked using the act of singing, musical instruments, sonaters (prototype of pocket musical instrument that can be attached to the wrist and chest whose power is on a smaller scale and affects only the user himself. And contains a symbol of cymatics. That is, it is used in cases of emergency or for small children who are still learning) and dance.
    • I intend to make it a hard magic system and to use music theory, cymatics, chromesthesia, zoomusicology, neuromusicology, astrology and the influence of music on plants.
    • Musicians, singers, instrument makers, composers and dancers are coveted in society, as many have only basic skills due to government interference as well as genetic failures. On the one hand, it is positive because it avoids possible large-scale rebellions, however, it becomes more complicated for corporations to hire singers and musicians to rival other governments and help protect against the invasion of creatures of another worlds.
    So I wanted to know, how to filter more in the construction of this magical system so as not to overload the reader with so much information and cohesive enough?

Sorry for my english.

2. Bakkerbaard

Bakkerbaard Contributor Contributor

It's been a long time since I've played a little of it, but perhaps you may want to look into Loom. A point & click adventure from the time when we thought it was pretty cool you could go make a cup of coffee while your computer booted up.
    I remember the magic in that game being tied to music.
    If you want to play it, it's probably available on the cheap somewhere, but I'm sure somebody somewhere probably wrote an extensive thesis on the subject. Obviously you can't just steal their ideas, but maybe it could help with building your system?