1. Jakc Fowl

Jakc Fowl New Member

Super Powers!

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by Jakc Fowl, Apr 24, 2013.

Hey Guys! I'm brand new here and have a question! I am half of a team working on a OEL manga. (If you do not know what that is go here. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Original_English-language_manga ). The short is that we are styling the artwork like a manga. I am in charge of the writing the story of this Project. To my point, I need some help. This story involves Superhuman powers, and I can only come up with so many. So, I would like it if you guys could give me some Ideas! The guide lines for this are

1. If it is something like being Immortal or unharmable Ect. I can already say I will not use it, the reader wants a character that could die! If the character is all powerful then it would be boring.
    2. Please refrain from re-posting an idea that has already been posted. If it is something to add to an already posted idea then that is ok.

If i use your idea I will PM you to tell you!
    Thanks Guys!

2. Nicki_G

Nicki_G Member

I find shape shifting makes for an interesting story, the ability to push thoughts or ideas into another's mind, the ability to change any paper or metal into currency...

3. Kaga

Kaga New Member

Nicki_G beat me to shape shifting, so as the nerd I am I'll suggest cybernetics instead. Either implants that would give certain abilities, like eye implants for night vision, zoom, hacking implants, hidden weapons and such, or something along the line of Major Kusanagi from Ghost In The Shell.

4. karajmnz

karajmnz New Member

ability to see the future, moves things with their thoughts, freezes time, reads thoughts, controls the elements, if there is more than one super person mabe they can sense when someone with a superpower is close by, heals others, brings people back from the dead, breath underwater, control weather

5. blackstar21595

blackstar21595 New Member

Watch an anime called "Darker Than Black." In it, many humans have different supernatural abilities which range from taking over the bodies of animals, creating explosions with one's own blood, replacing a person's organs with objects, and gravity nullification.

6. TerraIncognita

TerraIncognita Aggressively Nice Person Contributor

Google.

Also I think excluding super powers that involve invulnerability is a wise choice.

7. ArcticPhoenix

ArcticPhoenix New Member

May I suggest frequently updating your first post with the powers that have been mentioned by everyone else? That way when someone wants to pitch in their own two cents, they won't be put off if they have to wade through lots of posts worrying if their idea has already been mentioned somewhere. =)

As for my own input: I suggest being able to perfectly communicate with animals or take control of them, or controlling nature (the ability to command trees, make earthquakes, manipulate volcanoes -- while these might sound invincible they can be completely situational, a person with volcano powers can be normal as can be with no volcanoes around).

Also, yeah... Google. I recommend looking at a Marvel superheroes or One Piece database. One Piece, anime as it is, is awesome because it can inspire a few really out there, non-cliche superpowers.

Good luck!

8. Xatron

Xatron New Member

Synesthesia- Learning the history of an object or person by touching them.
    Lumokinesis- The ability to control the distribution of light in a space, with applications like invisibility (bending light around an object) and concentrating light on an spot to burn it.

http://www.springhole.net/writing_roleplaying_randomators/superpowers.htm
    This is one of the hundreds of generators going around the net. Just google "superpower generator" and you will get everything you want. Mr Googlies is our friend.

9. Jhunter

Jhunter Mmm, bacon. Contributor

I have dozens of ideas for powers, but unfortunately, I can't share them--because my book is about superheroes. ;)

All I can say is: look at what is already out there, and don't do those. Or if you do: change them to make them unique.

Here is a website I use for ideas, but I don't copy them, I use it as inspiration only: http://powerlisting.wikia.com/wiki/Superpower_Wiki

10. MilesTro

MilesTro Senior Member

How about the power to create anything out of air? Like the character can manuplate particles in the air to form solid matter objects based on what he or she can imagine. If his or her mind is clear enough, the formed object will work perfectly.

11. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

There used to be a Marvel superhero called Brother Voodoo, and he had a power I thought was kind of cool. The ghost of his dead brother lived in his body. When the ghost was in him, it doubled his strength (his brother's strength added to his own). But he could also send the ghost out of himself, and it would take possession of someone else's body for a limited period of time, essentially giving Brother Voodoo an ally in a fight. When the fight was over, the ghost would return to him. That was an unusual superpower, and an interesting one.

12. RainbowWarrior

RainbowWarrior New Member

the superpowered characters in my books gather energy from the world around them

my main character gathers energy from the spirits around her, but the demon gets his power from human evil

hope it gives you a few ideas! :D

13. SuperVenom

SuperVenom Senior Member

Ability to summon spirits that haunt a given area and manipulate them, Ie if on sight of battle field can summon and use the horde that appears. Can become one with choosen spirits and use teh skills and talents that that spirit had. ie. spirit was a Fighter - can fight, an artist then can draw. But at a price, he cant keep them too long as the spirit will either become corrupted or take over his own mind. He speaks only in whisper as speaking to the dead has effected his speech and lacks empathy. But on plus side he dosn't fear death.