1. Holo

Holo New Member

Supernatural creatures and their interactions

Discussion in 'Setting Development' started by Holo, Aug 2, 2012.

I know that my protagonist is a werewolf. I've known that since her first concept years ago. But I also wanted to populate my world with more than one paranormal entity. So far it is just werewolves and magicians (who are essentially humans with the ability to activate pentagrams and use magic via those pentagrams). But it still feels like it's missing something. I refuse to add vampires nor do I think they have a place in my story. I was thinking of elementals or spirits that magicians can summon or use, but I'm not sure.

What supernatural creatures do you think would be interesting to see interact with werewolves and magicians. I want them all to tie in somehow and feel natural. Too often it is just vampires and werewolves or a fantasy kitchen sink and I never really see certain supernaturals make the cut and not the ones that are expected.

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

This is really something for you to figure out. Your choices will drive the course of the story, so it is not something to foist off on anyone else.

Are you sure you really need other supernatural creatures? Why? If they are window dressing, don't bother. Only add them if their role in the story requires their inclusion.

3. Holo

Holo New Member

Yeah I see what you mean. I know that I want something extra, but I can't figure out what it is :/. I know the humans have to deal with more than just werewolves, but the werewolves get harsher treatment because they are more common and have more of a united front so to speak.
    I think it's just that I see them with vampires so much that I am trying to think outside the box. But I don't want to make it seem like a random combination of supernatural elements. People expect vampires and werewolves to be in the same story. Not necessarily werewolves and elemental spirits.

And on another note: instead of making my werewolves a result of a virus, I wanted them to be almost considered a combo of a human and a forest spirit. I've always wanted to see a take on werewolves that makes them less of monsters cursed with a spell or virus but simply the combination of a human with some supernatural force of nature. Since nature itself is a wild and somewhat primitive force in and of itself, it would then make sense why werewolves can be unstable. So would that make the connection between werewolves, magicians, and elementals seem more justified?

4. luna claire

luna claire Member

I think that the common ground the three share could work, all having ties in nature. Have you tried researching folklore? The world is rich in varying cultures and myths and you might stumble upon something that will inspire you. So you mean that your werewolves are then born this way? Or is it something that sort of just happened? Is nature trying to recapture what was lost or taken from her? Also the setting of your story may help narrow down what elementals or natural spirits/sprites to use. What mythology is indegenous to that area? Or you can research faeries? There are tons of mythological creatures in folklore all over the world. Nagas, dryads, fuaths, bunyips, bakus, rocs, ect. One that I found was funny to me when I was researching mythological creatures a couple of years ago was the American argopelter. It was a beast that lived in tree trunks and loved throwing pieces of wood at innocent people who were passing by. :) All sorts of interesting things can be uncovered by research. Hope this helps a little.