1. Phoenix Hikari

Phoenix Hikari New Member

Is this even true?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Phoenix Hikari, Mar 14, 2012.

So in my current story, which is a fantasy, people have the power to manipulate nature force to perform some tasks or actions. That's the main plot, it revolves around these powers and how or why some people have the ability to master it while others fail. Anyway, I've been looking up some stuff about this and I have two questions.

1. Has it been scientifically proven that people use only 7%, 10% of their brains? I've tried to look it up but it's so confusing as some claim it's a myth.

2. There's this guy called Edward Leedskalnin, who's now deceased, and he claims that he built the Coral Castle all by himself using the natural forces to aid him lift the stones, which weighed tons sometimes. Is this true? Has it been proven? and is it possible for me to mention him in the story? Maybe as the person who started this thing or do I need to get permission or something?

Thanks!

2. Rebel Yellow

Rebel Yellow Active Member

It is not remotely true that we only use 10% of our brain; every part of it has a function. However, it is your story and your world, therefore you decide what is reality and what is a myth.

3. Metus

Metus New Member

You only use 10% of your brain at a given time, but throughout the course of a day or week, we use pretty much all of it. That's what I heard, at least. Still, it's your story. You can pretty much warp reality in any way you want.

4. CheddarCheese

CheddarCheese New Member

Hi Phoenix,

1. This is absolutely NOT true, and it has been scientifically DIS-proven time and time again. This is just an urban myth. We use nearly all of our cognitive functions.

2. His "natural" methods of building the castle were actually probably a story he conjured up. It is commonly thought that he used a construction method called "block and tackle", which involves pulleys and cables. Although he never let anyone watch while he built, sneak-photos show that he had construction tripods meant for such pulleys set up around the site. So probably not.

Of course, you are talking about a fictional story of your own here. Number 1 might raise some eyebrows if you use it outside of pure fantasy, so you might want to change that idea a little. Number 2 however, is quite obscure, and the proof is not entirely sound. I can see you potentially using it, thought I have no idea how the legalities work.

Good luck!

5. Acanthophis

Acanthophis ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) Contributor

The brain is probably the most complex thing humanity knows about. I'd say we only understand 10% of it, we have to use more than 10% of it or else it wouldn't be the size it is today.

6. AnonyMouse

AnonyMouse Contributor Contributor

It's difficult to answer that question for sure. Some people say we only use 10% of it at any given moment (i.e. every sector of your brain isn't in use simultaneously). Others say even the sections being used aren't being used at "full power." Think of it this way: when you start a car, it's running on all cylinders, but it's not at full power until you put the pedal to the floor. Using that analogy, some people say our brain is just "idling."

Either way, among laypersons there's enough speculation/confusion on this topic that you could easily make a story and run with it.

7. jazzabel

jazzabel Agent Provocateur Contributor

We know very little about the brain (in comparison to how well we understand the function of other body parts) but one thing we do know is that there's a lot of built-in redundancy. Different parts can take over functions that normally occur elsewhere (such as after a stroke or various other types of brain damage) so it is conceivable that our brains are capable of so much more than we are aware of.

Also, various brain imaging techniques indicate that particularly talented individuals tend to simultaneously use more of their brain, and different areas, to help them carry out certain tasks such as playing music, doing complex maths calculations etc. So there's a huge scope for sci-fi or fantasy theories related to this topic.

8. Afion

Afion New Member

If it's fantasy, it dosen't really matter whether it's true or not. Let your imagination (which must take up at least 20% of our brains!) run wild :)

9. The Magnan

The Magnan Active Member

The world is how you make it, and how the brain works is up to you, the characters could even have two brains, like having two hearts (Timelord), or four hearts (Toblakai I think) so you really you can do what you want with a characters brain.

10. Phoenix Hikari

I see... I know in fantasy you can almost make the characters be anything or do anything but I just wanted to get realistic facts into there as well. It felt like that could make it more solid as an idea and not just something out of the top of my head. I certainly don't want them to sound like fantastic four. xD

11. Tashanel

Tashanel Member

the 10% 7% are not true. This issue was started by a famous motivator (which I forget the name) and tell us we just using less of our brain. So the point is, using your brain and think carefully.

I didn't check it, but I'm pretty sure it was because motivator mouth. Same as like "Time logic" which tell us we just have one hour to do nothing, so make something (or something sound like that)

I hate motivator personally :mad:

and, oh yeah for point number 2. I can't tell it's true or not. But, there's a similar story like that all over the world. Start from Sacred place, A giant tomb, Even in my country have a story like that! Story about build a Thousands temple within one night and get help by the spirit to prove his love. (Love make people crazy)

you can:
    - Believe it's a lie because it's similarity
    - Believe natural forces are true

But, I really love to imagine and have a coral castle :D

12. Rafiki

Rafiki Active Member

1Q. Has it been scientifically proven that people use only 7%, 10% of their brains? I've tried to look it up but it's so confusing as some claim it's a myth.

1A. No. As a Biochem major I can tell you this myth is ridiculous in its absurdity. We use roughly 15-20% of our brain at any one given TIME, but that 15-20% shifts according to what you are using your mind for.

2Q. There's this guy called Edward Leedskalnin, who's now deceased, and he claims that he built the Coral Castle all by himself using the natural forces to aid him lift the stones, which weighed tons sometimes. Is this true? Has it been proven? and is it possible for me to mention him in the story? Maybe as the person who started this thing or do I need to get permission or something?

2A. Calling shenanigans on this one too.

13. Metus

Metus New Member

It seems like, if someone built a coral castle by himself, he might have wanted to film it, or at least have a few witnesses standing by. How long ago did he build this? Was there video-recording technology at the time?

14. Phoenix Hikari

I don't think it was advance enough to allow him to record it. He lived between (1887-1951).

15. CheddarCheese

CheddarCheese New Member

He absolutely forbid anyone from watching him build. And no, no videos were made of him building it.

I believe there were, however, some photos taken by curious people, which showed that he was using construction tripods.

16. BFGuru

BFGuru Active Member

Let's not lose sight of the fact that the brain is not only for cognitive function. The brain is active at all times. Even during sleep. It is responsible for heart rate, respiration, response to painful stimuli, wake and sleep cycles, digestion, a portion of filtration and a gammut of other bodily functions that we don't even put cognitive thought to. To indicate we only use 10% is just silly, and puts no thought into the fact that the brain is not only cognition.

17. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

the 10% thing wasn't referring to the physical aspects of the brain, since, as has been noted above, of course all [or most] of its parts are being used at one time or another...

it refers to utilizing the brain to its 'full capacity'... in other words, like not using a machine at 'full power'... meaning there is much more 'use' we could 'get out of' our brains, if we knew how and/or could activate it fully... and that includes moving things with our minds alone...

i know that to be possible from personal experience, since i can move a pendulum by just 'thinking'/willing it to go in one direction or another, or to stop and stand still... haven't managed to move other objects yet, though, darn it!

that and other 'paranormal' abilities are what that 10% statement is all about...

18. Phoenix Hikari

That's what I was asking precisely!! I've read and watched videos about many people being able to do these stuff but it's hard to believe sometimes with all the technology at editing.

It's cool though, I wish I can do it. Can you explain it to me a bit more? Is it just willing or is there more to it?

19. BFGuru

BFGuru Active Member

Look up transcendental meditation. It may be a launch point for some of these aspects you are wishing to explore.

20. CheddarCheese

CheddarCheese New Member

I hope you forgive me when I say that I am somewhat skeptical of this feat. I hope you understand that I simply can't reason with the idea that people somehow produce non-physical telekinetic powers using only their brains. Our brains are neural connections between multiple cells which operate to control the rest of the body. There is no scientifically observed method that allows one to apply force to a static object with their mind, in fact, it breaks some fundamental laws of physics. Not to mention that there is no evolutionary benefit to such an ability.

Now I'm not pointing at you and calling you a phony, nor am I declaring that I am right. I just simply find it hard to believe.

Just so I don't stray off topic, I'm glad you find inspiration from these kinds of things, Phoenix. Obviously, many elements of fictional stories are there for you to bend to your own will. You definitely don't need science to drive a fantasy story, but you should stick to some logic.

Good luck!

21. Phoenix Hikari

This is very interesting, thank you! =)

Thank you and yes, it helps. I know what you mean about fantasy having no obligation to bend to our normal physics, but the world I am creating is not really magical so whatever that's unnatural can't just spring out of nowhere. There have to be a proof or something that reflects, at least myths, in our real world.

I found few books in the library today about parallel universes and spirits. They were very inspiring and now Transcendental meditation sort of falls into what I've been trying to create.

I'm happy!!

22. mammamaia

hard for you to believe, or not, cheddar, i DO do it... often... when i'm facing an important decision, or want a 'yes/no' answer to something, i use the pendulum and the answers i get are almost always proven to be correct... i'd say about 90% of the time...

phoenix...
    here's how it works:

the pendulum was made by and given to me by a very gifted 'intuitive healer' who has been associated with the prestigious Omega Institute at Rhinebeck NY for many years and has also worked successfully with clients of her private practice for years...

it's a smooth chunk of amethyst crystal that has a fine chain suspended from it, with a glass globe weight at the end...

i hold the crystal in my right hand, my elbow resting on an unmovable surface, with the forearm upright, letting the weight dangle freely and with my arm braced by my other hand, so it can't be causing the movement...

i ask the question and the pendulum moves right and left, if the answer is yes, toward and away from me, if no... for maybe, or unknown, it goes in a clockwise circle... between questions, it stops moving... when it moves, i feel a sort of 'power surge' pushing out from my solar plexus region... i can also 'will' it to move in any of those directions and come to a dead stop, when not asking any question, so, yes, it's possible that i'm answering my own questions... but that still won't explain how i can make the pendulum move, nor how the answers prove to be so accurate... many observors have agreed that my hand and arm are absolutely still when the pendulum moves...

i know it sounds weird and impossible to those who've never experienced anything like this themselves, but i was just as skeptical as cheddar [even more so, probably], before i found i could do it... since then, i found much to my amazement that i can also take pain away from people, using just my hands and willing it...

no, i can't explain it and don't even try to... it just is... being a skeptical virgo, i wouldn't believe it either, if i didn't see it happen time after time...

"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio......"

23. CheddarCheese

CheddarCheese New Member

^
    After hearing your description just now, something immediately came to mind. Now, I'm not completely sure what the specifics behind it are, and again, I'm not saying this is the case, but the closest scientific explanation I could find for this is the "Question-Answering Pendulum Trick".

It's a common trick, where a stage magician uses a weight on the end of a string, and claims that it can answer any question with a yes, no, or maybe. When the question is asked, the pendulum will eventually start moving in one direction, which "answers" the question. Even when given to a volunteer, it will still continue to answer the question.

What's really happening here, is that involuntary twitching of finger muscles are moving the pendulum. This is coupled with the fact that the person holding the pendulum subconsciously decides an answer before watching the pendulum move. Hence the twitching happens in favour of "yes" or "no". You mentioned that you placed your elbow on a solid surface, but your fingers may be able to cause enough unnoticeable movement to move the pendulum (or stop the movement to stop the pendulum). Because you believe it works, your subconscious may be controlling these movements (which would explain your 'power surge').

If you want to confirm this trick, you can Google search it.

Of course, this might not be the case at all. Maybe there really is something behind it that can't be explained? Well, test it out!

1) Try hooking the pendulum onto an actual object, instead of holding it. Ask it questions and see if it still moves.
    2) Try using a different pendulum, which is similar in weight and size to your pendulum. See if the same thing happens. (Remember: Try to believe that it still will happen, or your subconsciousness might force-ably refuse it.
    3) Don't hold the pendulum from the very end of the string. The reason the Pendulum trick normally works is because small movements translate to larger ones when it travels through the length of the string. Instead hold maybe an inch or two of string, with the end of the pendulum close to your fingers. Does it still work?

I hope my skepticism and analysis doesn't offend you mammamaia. I don't mean any offense through any of this, and I certainly don't think you're lying or anything. But something like this... it kind of makes my brain want to search for answers.

Also, sorry for straying so far off topic Phoenix. My curiosity gets the better of me at times.

24. Phoenix Hikari

Hmmm, this thread prompted some interesting things.

Thank you for this explanation. It has given me many ideas of how I want this whole thing to work. It's very interesting though, I wish I can see you do it.

By all means, do carry on. I'm benefiting from your research. :) and now I have formed many aspects I want to be included in the technique my characters use.

25. mammamaia

cc...
    no, there's no twitching of fingers, which has been confirmed by many skeptics who've watched me do it and watched carefully to see if there was any movement of my hand/arm/fingers to explain it... i don't ever do it as a parlor trick, btw, but only for serious reasons...

and a 'connection' seems to need to be made between the pendulum and my body, since when i just now tested hanging it from something other than my hand, it not only didn't move, but i didn't feel the same 'power surge' that i felt when i then did it the usual way... it's weird, to be sure... and i don't need to know why or how it works, since it's proven to be accurate nearly all of the time...

it's been proven by skeptical scientists that some people can even move objects that are lying on a table, so this isn't something that hasn't been tested and found to be a real ability in a rare few...