1. missmab

missmab New Member

main characters meeting

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by missmab, Nov 16, 2009.

:p first post but anyway..

im the type of person with a million ideas in my head swirling aroung dying to get out on paper.

im struggling at the moment to find rational reason why my characters meet, with out being cliche, im also always concerned that things i have read will come out in my stories.

i should probably say im strictly a fantasy person, dragons, fictional lands and worlds etc.

im just looking for some simple one line ideas on how 6 seemingly complete strangers can meet. 2 of my characters are siblings, so i have them covered.

ok the run down:

we have 6 normal people, nothing out of the ordinary about them, except they where all born on the same day, at the same hour ( of course only the siblings know this)
    during their dayly routines etc, they find ah.. shards. some light white glowing, others dark like bits of coal..
    these shards have an affect on each person and i suppose ( my thoughts havent reached this far) they are shunned by their family and friends and / or they set out to find a person who may know what is happening to them and why..

ok thats enuf babbling almost got thru the whole plot sorry wasnt intentional..

anyway i would like any suggestions, eg: meet in battle ..

2. Alanabunny

Alanabunny New Member

Maybe the shards give them this obessive need to get to a location, the same location? So the shards control them, and make the meet up? :p

Having them all in battle seems more far-fetched, a really amazing coincidence. Something like that would have to be intentional, on some level.

3. sidtvicious

sidtvicious Contributor Contributor

Inferno, office 752. Take a right turn at the wat
    Do they really need to all meet simultaneously, I mean introducing one character at a time could be just as effective. But if you intend on them meeting all at one time in a sort of gathering, the concept of meeting in battle seems a decent possibility. "Normal" people as you say would often take up arms, maybe not effectively, during times of crisis. A sound device in placing them all in combat. Perhaps, a civil war or something to that effect (i mean i don't know how far into world creation you go with fantasy, but it's an idea). Hope that helps.

4. missmab

missmab New Member

i hadnt decided if they all meet at once or gradually, but a way they could meet all at once would probably work for me stopping the plot getting lost in what could eb considered an introduction into the main story.. thank you for these idea my minds reeling already.. time for pen to paper :p

5. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

It's easier and probably better to introduce the characters gradually. That makes it less confusing for readers (and perhaps for the author as well). It also gives you more time to focus on one character or a small group of characters. That ultimately helps with characterization.

6. Kirvee

Kirvee New Member

I agree that they should meet gradually. As for how, you mentioned something about "finding a person who knows what's going on", well, what if the shards lead them to that person?