1. Urban Profanity

Urban Profanity Member

Last chapter very similar to first chapter.

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Urban Profanity, Jun 15, 2015.

I started my current WIP with a vignette that I replicate at the end (epilogue) of the story, albeit with a few changes. Sort of like the last verse in a song being the same as the first but with an altered perspective. My feedback from beta readers has been that having what is essentially the epilogue at the start doesn't interfere with the mystery or the story, and it's one my most favourite things in the story, but I'm nervous that publishers / agents won't like the idea.

I'm just preparing to send the manuscript to a well qualified beta reader ( a published author and well known writer in these parts) and I don't want the fact that I start the story with an abstract epilogue to be too weird for her!

Now, I believe that it adds a lot to the story, and that it isn't merely some self indulgent experiment. I am thinking that I will send it to her unabridged, but with a note explaining that I am worried about it and could she maybe give advice as to her thoughts on it.

My question (I'm getting there) is this: can anyone think of examples where this has been done successfully?

2. Reilley Turner

Reilley Turner Active Member

Here's my take on it: if they are similar, but different at the same time, it is fine. An example would be;

1: MC POV
    (many chapters later)
    20: MC's Friend POV

Am I making sense?

If not, I can whip something up real quick to show you.

3. Aaron DC

Aaron DC Contributor Contributor

They're looking for a book that already exists, successfully published, that has a similar structure.

4. Reilley Turner

Reilley Turner Active Member

Oh. Not yet, but I will do a quick 10-15 minute search for books like that. :)

Edit: No luck yet, but I'm sure they exist.

5. Urban Profanity

Urban Profanity Member

Thanks for trying Riley!
    I think I'm just going to risk seeming unprofessional and send a cover note with the MS, asking that she specifically gives feedback on whether or not the risk is worth it.