Tags:
  1. The inquisitive writer

The inquisitive writer Member

Switching between timelines

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by The inquisitive writer, Nov 26, 2020.

What is your opinion of stories that switch between different time periods?

I have a story which is set in the present but that revolves around events that happened about fifty years previously. My MC finds out about these events through another character who lived through them. I have two ways in which I can relay these events to the reader; the secondary character spends a couple of chapters telling MC everything that happened (basically a massive info dump—not desirable), or the story can switch between the different time periods, with the ‘flashback’ chapters from the POV of the secondary character. Given the nature of the events that drive the story, I think that the second option is the only way to do them justice, but is there a right way or a wrong way to go about this?

2. Xoic

Xoic Prognosticator of Arcana Ridiculosum Contributor Blogerator

Definitely the second option. Basically you're faced with the choice of telling or showing. Do the right thing. Drag the reader right into that darn timeline and slap 'em around a little.

3. The inquisitive writer

Sound advice. Much slapping will ensue.

4. Malum

Malum Offline

I've been thinking this for quite a long time during my self imposed absence. Shouldn't the unfolding of one's plot come naturally and be something you are enthusiastic about doing in your own way, rather than methodical? I guess people write with different motives....

5. Lifeline

Lifeline South. Supporter Contributor

What about a third option? Let the MC find out about these events only when they impact him and tell the reader only the bits of the past that are actually needed in the present.

"Duh, how did you think I learned to keep them at arms length?" Conan swings his sword, squish, and another of the hydra's heads roll off. My buddy gives me 'the Look'. "Bad experiences is all I'll tell you."

That way the story can move forward in the present.

If there are chapters set in the past from a different POV it might work, but you set yourself the double challenge of maintaining readers' interest in two timelines. I know from myself that I'm likely to skip chapters that interrupt me from an engaging read in the story's present, and I don't think I'm unique in my preference.

6. Lifeline

Lifeline South. Supporter Contributor

Let's not make this thread about methodial or enthusiastic (they're not exclusive to each other anyway) and stay on the OP's question :)

The inquisitive writer and Malum like this.
  7. DriedPen

DriedPen Member

I have some deep seated thoughts on this...

I think it is perfectly acceptable to do what you propose, but some things must be done first.

The first is that the reader has to connect with your character first. That cannot be done in a single sentence in the first chapter. I am talking chapters in, like 50-75 pages in. Its just not fair to the reader to kick them in and out of time periods. They must connect with the character where they are at the start of the book, and be with them for awhile.

Think of it this way, would you go with a stranger on a trip 1000 miles away after talking to them for one day? Heck no, so why should a reader do likewise?

The second thing is to make sure you make it clear that you are changing time periods. Readers skip sentences sometimes, but generally read the first sentence in a paragraph because it tends to be the most important one. Its your job as a writer to make the transition to the new time period absolutely clear, and over several sentences at least, so they know, otherwise they get lost!

8. The inquisitive writer

Not sure why my motive for writing should be an issue, surely that’s irrelevant?
    Regardless, I think perhaps I didn’t word the question particularly well. To clarify, I already know the way I want to write the story (not the info dump way), I simply asked if there were some ways to do it that might work better than others.

9. Malum

Malum Offline

Maybe look at commercially successful novels that have provided you with examples of switching timelines in such a manner; the best way to improve is by using the influence of works already out there. If he's a secondary character throughout the whole thing then there must be a way in which you can bring his past into the narrative without it being boring.

10. The inquisitive writer

Thanks for your answer. I did wonder if the double timeline thing might put people off, which was why I asked the question. I think I will still go with it, but I will take special care to make the ‘past’ chapters link in some way with the events of the ‘present’ ones.

Lifeline likes this.
  11. The inquisitive writer

Thank you for the advice.
    With regards to your first point, the ‘past’ bits would only come into play once events in the present are well established and all characters introduced. You’re right, dropping people straight into two different timelines without any build up would be pretty confusing.
    Second point, I was thinking of keeping the different time periods as separate chapters, with the ones taking place in the past marked with the year. I hope to be able to tie the events of the two time periods together throughout so that both are relevant to the narrative as it progresses and the reader isn’t jolted out of the story by something completely different to what they were just reading, if that makes sense.