1. Ryan Elder

Ryan Elder Banned

Switching protagonists partway through..?

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by Ryan Elder, Dec 20, 2016.

Basically for my story, I have rewritten a the last third so it the antagonist becomes the protagonist. Mostly I had trouble figuring out what do with the protagonist for the last third and how to raise the steaks for him in the last third. He kept getting painted into a corner, I couldn't get him out of.

However, if I make the antagonist the central focus for the last third, then he gets painted into a a corner by the former protagonist, and he is the one, who is painted into a corner instead. But since he is the villain, and I want the villain to loose, he doesn't to escape the corner he is painted into. He can try, but fail and fall, instead of succeed, and then it's the end.

I feel this is much better and feels a lot more natural rather than trying to force more obstacles on the first protagonist, for the last third, and just naturally give him the upper hand over the villain, and let the villain deal with his new obstacles, and have him be the main focus and drive. But what do you think? Would readers become jarred if they have to switch who they are focusing on more, or can it be a natural switch, if done right?

2. MoWrit

MoWrit Member

Well, depends on the likability of the former antagonist. You need to switch right so that readers do not take time to adjust, and make sure that the former antagonist is not uninteresting, but rather different and likable (for the antagonist). Personally, I think this would be a great, but risky idea as readers may not be able to adjust if done even the slightest bit wrong. However, if done right, readers will love your piece of work and how different it was to everything else they have read.

3. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Telemachus Sneezed
    Yup, the lovable serial rapist, run with it!

pitviper likes this.
  4. MoWrit

MoWrit Member

Switching to the perspective of the antagonist could also reveal a few things. Also, a serial rapist could be an interesting switch. Incredibly risky but it may work, given if they are interesting enough

5. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Telemachus Sneezed
    Take a look at the other 196 threads on this story to get an idea where things are coming from.

https://www.writingforums.org/search/4995523/

6. Ryan Elder

Ryan Elder Banned

7. BayView

BayView Huh. Interesting. Contributor

It looks like the third paragraphs of the OPs aren't identical, so I'm guessing you posted one but didn't realize it, then edited and posted for what you thought was the first time?

8. Ryan Elder

Ryan Elder Banned

Maybe, I'm not sure how the thread got posted again. Either way, sorry about that people. I didn't mean for that to happen.

9. antlad

antlad Banned

Maybe? Can you not read? The third paragraphs are different. You posted two different threads, that's how two different threads got posted, not
    But, you did mean for this to happen. You wrote two separate threads, at separate times, then you posted two separate threads. This isn't rocket science, it's typing and clicking a 'post' button.

It's a screenplay.

10. Ryan Elder

Ryan Elder Banned

Okay thanks. I edited the third paragraph before, not but sure how it got reposted, as I just meant to edit it.

11. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

Iain Aschendale likes this.
  12. pitviper

pitviper Member

WTF are you talking about, switching protags...? Get a grip, man!
    Don't kill off your protagonist. Big mistake.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2016
  13. ShannonH

ShannonH Senior Member Contest Winner 2023

By using the word 'rewritten' you give the impression that you actually wrote something in the first place.

I find this highly dubious, especially as far as the third act.

Iain Aschendale likes this.
  14. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

Hes not talking about killing off his protagonist, he's talking about switching heads - that isnt always a bad idea except that

a) Ryan's antagonist is a deeply unlikeable serial rapist , and
    b) this is screen play so he won't be in one head anyway ... a lot of films show both the good guy and the bad guy doing stuff so its not exactly revolutionary