1. dave_c

dave_c Active Member

does anyone on here speak any latin?

Discussion in 'Research' started by dave_c, Mar 27, 2012.

Hello, in the story im writing at the moment there is a company who's slogan is "life through new hope" which i think translates as "vita per novus spes". I got this from an online translator and thought to double check it with another but got "vita per spem" instead.

Does anyone speak any latin, would really appreciate any help, thanks.

Dave.

2. Nakhti

Nakhti Banned

I think it's because certain Latin prepositions take certain cases - per is one of these. (novus) spes is nominative, (novum) spem is accusative. You need the second one.

Hope I helped :)

3. Erato

Erato New Member

Nakhti is partly correct. You need to say "novam," because hope is feminine. Also they more likely a Roman would say "spem novam," because in Latin the adjective usually goes after the noun. And I'm not certain about the usage of "per" which usually refers to physical movement (but not always) but I can't think of anything better, so stick with that.

4. Nakhti

Nakhti Banned

Ah. I wondered about the gender, but admittedly I didn't check. Latin isn't my strength anyway - I'm all about the ancient Greek baby, yeah! :D

5. Erato

Erato New Member

Really? You should talk to my brother. I haven't done Ancient Greek in years. Sadly.

6. Fullmetal Xeno

Fullmetal Xeno Protector of Literature Contributor

I speak very little of it, but my sister majors in it! I'll ask her if you want me to help you with that by asking my sister what certain words mean.