1. Viserion

Viserion Senior Member

Symbol of Kingship?

Discussion in 'Setting Development' started by Viserion, Apr 5, 2020.

In a book I’ve been working on for a while, the kings retain power by controlling dragons. I was thinking of a dragonbone throne, like this:

The Dragonbone Throne was a monolithic mass of melted and fused dragon bones. Thirteen molded steps rose in the inky, slick throne. The seat was scaly, rippled and sharp. The back and sides of the Throne were drawn-out thorns, seeming to splash away from whoever sat on it. Dragon skulls, warped by fire, seemed to press through the seat. Six human skulls were locked into the barbs, eyes pierced by the Throne.

Does this seem sufficiently extreme? Any other cool things that could be added?

Cdn Writer likes this.
  2. Cdn Writer

Cdn Writer Contributor Contributor

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America
    Currently Reading::
    TRYING (!!!) to read Eric Flint's "Ring of Fire" series.......it's soooo many books!!!!!
    Color? Gems like rubies that glitter or diamonds? Smoke - like if someone does not have royal blood or a legitimate claim to sit on this throne, it starts to spew dark smoke into the air?

A different question, is your "human" - I assume - king going to be a shape changer into a dragon or have dragon abilities? I was just wondering because you wrote that the seat was "sharp" and I'm wondering how a normal human is going to sit down....

Viserion likes this.
  3. Viserion

Viserion Senior Member

The color idea is cool, maybe the bones glimmer with the wet red of fresh blood...

I was thinking that it would burn alive any false king. It’s idea of false being someone incapable of holding it. Murderers and monstrous individuals being fair game.

Basically, the royals are born with colorless eyes until they claim a dragon, whose eye color they gain. They are essentially one being. As for abilities, they are naturally more athletic and attractive than normal people. They also have more potential for sorcery, an always dangerous pursuit.

The chair is relatively smooth where you sit, but it’s still uncomfortable.

When they grow old, they gain far more draconic traits, like faint scales and boiling black blood.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2020
    Cdn Writer likes this.
  4. Beloved of Assur

Beloved of Assur Active Member

To me what you describe is the throne of kings who have killed, conquered or subjugated dragons by force. Nothing consentual in it and that the king/queen holds power of violent force over the dragons. Kind of tyrants as far as the dragons would be concerned.

I have this reaction becaus building someone of bones and stuff is usually done from things you'eve conquered/killed and meant to remind people of the terrifying power of violence you have. So I associate the throne with these kind of things. If you are looking at a more positive or neutral relation between king/queen and dragons then I would not go for a throne fashioned out of dragons' corpses.

Similar example might be, and the associations I have from them.

The Dragonbone Chair in Tad William's Osten Ard where its symbolize the great power held by the first High King who managed to kill a dragon, and also works as a foil between his vigerous and successful youth as a warrior and his declining state and lack of success in his old age.

The Iron Throne of the well known Asoiaf series and GoT TV-series symbolize how the power of the king can break his enemies and turn his enemies to servants. Its made from the swords of his enemies and now supports the king after having been reformed by a dragon's fire. But also a message about the dangerous and violent nature of feudal kingship as the king, and his power, rests upon a large number of swords.

Viserion and Cdn Writer like this.
  5. Viserion

Viserion Senior Member

The dragons were ridden by six Lords who, even after defeat, refused to bow. Their dragons and themselves died, and their bones were fused into a symbol of power.

Beloved of Assur likes this.