1. lipton_lover

lipton_lover New Member

a few ideas

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by lipton_lover, Nov 17, 2008.

I was just thinking randomly and came up with some possible ideas for the site... all three are along the same lines, but are still different.

1. I know we already have the weekly competition, but I think we either need to revise it, add to it, or start something new. I would love to have a competition that has a different sort of topic. One that's more specific, for learning purposes. Like, for instance, one week could be telepathy. Whoever submits would learn how to handle a telepathic conversation. I use that example because there's a debate going on in general writing on how to do it right now. The best way to find out how you can do it is to write a telepathic piece I think.

2. This one is pretty simple. Have designated experts on certain topics. Then, new users could contact them if they need expert help on something. This would require the user to WANT to be available like that, but if they did then it could be great. I don't know about this one, though, since we have the general writing section where users can just ask the whole forum, but still. We could at least have titles for these users.

3. Finally, a new tutorial forum. I know tutorials don't seem right for writing, but I think it could work. Users could start new threads for tutorials on how to describe things, etc..

I don't think any of these will work on the surface, but maybe something can happen.
    Thanks for listening, Nate

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

The basic problem in common is that there are no real experts on the site. Everyone is learning. And some things, like telepathic dialogue, are matters of opinion more than authoritative fact. Still, in the past we have added challenges along with topics in the Short Story Competition. For instance, if the competition theme were "Dreams", a challenge might be to write it to contain a three-way dialogue. The challenge therefore is not related to the theme, but suggests ways for the writer to attempt different writing approaches than he or she might normally choose.

People do post tutorials of sorts, particularly in teh Writing Issues forums. I've also written a couple of them in my blog. They aren't necessarily authoritative, but presumably whoever writes one has done some amount of research before doing so.

As for experts, some people like mammamaia stand out by virtue of what they post. When there are script formatting questions or publishing questions, I usually wait for her to respond, because I know she will post a clear and knowledgeable answer. At the least, I will offer what I know but recommend getting the full answer from her.

But just because I recognize her sagacity, that doesn't mean that anyone else need do so. Everyone has to choose for themselves whether they trust one person's answer on a given topic over someone else's.

Good thoughts, however.

3. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

i agree those are good thoughts, even if not practicable... 'good onya' for tossing us your two cents, LL...

and much as i'm honored by your kind words, cog, i definitely agree that i [or anyone else] should NOT be 'titled' as that would smack a bit or more of 'elitism' which this site has wonderfully avoided sinking to thus far...

love and hugs, [just] maia ;-)

4. Speedy

Speedy Contributor Contributor

[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Maybe it would be interesting if every week, or month a topic was chosen (stickied then when done, unstickued) be it on writing, plot development, character development). Something that might be viewed differently by others on the forum (or even agreed upon, but where it can be discussed greatly on thoughts). Something newer members and those common around here can. Just an area that can be really discussed over (rather then just the odd thread where someone will ask a simple question and have it answered by a few people.

Geez i ramble and make little sense in the mornings (without coffee)[/FONT]

5. lipton_lover

lipton_lover New Member

I guess what I really want is just some 'pool of knowledge' if you will. It doesn't, and shouldn't, have just one point of view, but a more condensed general writing sort of area that covers anything you can think of would be nice.
    Nate