Tales of VenShara

Discussion in 'Archive' started by Exzalia, Aug 29, 2013.

1. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

This is a test post only. Trying to help with edits issue here in the RPG forum.

EDIT ~ New text

Pheonix, JessWrite and Love to Write like this.
  2. Exzalia

Exzalia Banned Contributor

The sacrifice

The horn stopped it’s mournful tune, a voice followed flowing over the city like a wave. “Offer your sacrifices onto Bahamut, show him our devotion, that he may see our faith and bless us.” Jorals voice carried into the wind beyond the temple and to every ear in Pia. As custom the sacrifice began, no blood was spilled, no, only water. Every man took a cup of the precious substance from where ever it maybe be and sprinkled it on the ground. Those not from Pia where shocked by the action, to waste such a precious resource in the worse drought in VenShara’s history.

“What is water to the good favour of our or Bahamut? Here ends the sacred ritual may Bahamut guide you through your dealings today.”

The voice ended, the people went back to their business resuming whatever task they were doing, as if nothing at all had happened. They ignored the ground now damp and muddy, noticed only by thirst Balu who lapped it us desperately. resumed her search for those that would be deemed worthy, she contemplated the great sacrifice only a moment.

“See! See! That is why Bahamut will not save us, we have, the unfaithful in our midst!” a familiar voice rang out rousing the curiosity in some of the people. It was the ragged man again; his beard still frenzy, unkept, his wild eye’s locked on her.

“They refuse to do the sacred ritual, Pia’s own military, the bastions of Bahamuts will spit in his face! There will be no water for as long as such sin is in and among us!”

Hessa turned to face the discomfort at the back of her, a discomfort that came from the eye’s of the crowd around the preacher. They were staring at her, accusingly.

“Exscuse me? How dare you accuse me of such treason? I am as much Bahamuts servant as anyone.”

“She lies, LIES I tell you, she did not perform the great sacrifice! Bahamut will not send rain until every soul in Pia is HUMBLED!” His yelling drew in more people; some were travellers, others warriors, all were staring at her.

Hessa started towards him. “I have had enough of you, we are in the middle of a drought! Why should we waste water on an outdated ritual, invented in a time when water was plentiful? Bahamut will understand, he is all merciful no?”

“LOOK! LOOK AT HOW SHE WOULD DENY BAHAMUT!” he was yelling now, his accusing voice traveled to every ear, all the while he pointed at her, his crooked finger damning her, his lips would not rest, his eye’s pierced her more than any sword. “Rise up ye people, Pia will perish as long as Heathens like her are in power! They are in the palace, they are in our very temples, and they are the cause of this drought! RISE RISE against them! For venShara, for Pia, for Baham- GAAAAHHH!”

Panic sweeps the crowed as crimson taints the ground, the man falls back clutching his now incomplete arm screaming in shock. The flash of silver, was so quick and clean, her steps so smooth and graceful, one could almost call it a fine art. The crowd steps away from her, and away from the now severed hand still twitching, spawning an ever growing pool of blood.

“Anyone else want to start a rebellion?” Hessa asked coldly observing her thin blade, now dressed in red. The crowd said nothing.

Suddenly a thought came to her, the commotion had attracted the attention of a sizable crowd, many where the type of people she was looking for, now was her chance. “Ahem, I am Hessa, daughter of Jakem high priest of Bahamuts temple, hear ye Bahamut will all ye travellers. We have information on the God speaker that you will find useful, all those who believe them self the steel to brave the wilds of Venshara, and my own judgment. Let him come to the temple hub, there you will be tested, if you are deemed worthy, you will garner the help of the high priests in your search, no one knows the ways of the God speaker better then they, indeed it may be the only way to ever find him.”

At once many in the crowd made way for the temple square where Jakem would be waiting. Flicking her blade to the side, changed it from crimson to silver once again, “Any questions?” She added after a moment.

“What happened to my hand!” the Preacher shouted, still in shock, his mind struggling to keep up with the sudden change. Hessa smirked, “Oh yes… that, that is what happens when little birds piss off dragons. Someone get this man a doctor.”

The temple loomed ahead, large and beautiful in all its array of gold and white, one could spend hours walking the length of the temple and not reach the other end, such was its size. The hub was a large room with a diner, and rooms for lodging, there Jakem sipped his tea awaiting the would be God seekers. First came a fairy, then, an old woman and a lad. Jakem chuckled.

"I ask for warriors, Hessa sends me a two children and an old woman...honestly."

Last edited: Sep 2, 2013
    mmarage likes this.
  3. Crumpets

Crumpets Senior Member

Withered leaves covered the pathway through what once was a vibrant garden. Szmierc leaned down and gently plucked a flower from the side of the road. With a smile, he lifted the flower to beneath his hood and sniffed it, causing what few petals remained before to fall off. "What a beautiful day!"

Alavina was in this very garden tending to her wounds before she headed off to the temple. She'd made a green paste out of the herbs that Hessa had given her. They worked amazingly to kill the pain. However, there was one stop on her back, right in between her wings that she couldn't reach. She'd cut that spot when she rolled over a rock after being brutally hit by Hessa. She was wondering how she was going to reach it when she heard someone shuffling by near the dying garden. He smelled a flower before exclaiming how beautiful a day it was.
    He was covered from head to toe in a robe but he seemed nice enough to Alavina decided to take a chance. "Excuse me, mister. May I have your assistance momentarily?"

Szmierc froze when the small voice piped up from behind him and slowly turned. As he towered over the fairy, his very shadow seemed to grow and the air around him grew colder. May I have your assistance, she asks? The stem fell limply from between his fingers to the ground, asking futilely for salvation. With slow steps, Szmierc approached Alavina. Then, with the most sinister purpose, he stooped down to match her height. "Whyyyyyy yes you can, little girl! What do you need?"

Alavina’s eyes widened slightly in fear at his voice and tone. And…were those teeth glimmering from underneath his hood? And his scent, was he…a ferral? Aly suddenly regretted drawing his attention. If this creature was a ferral then she was likely his next meal. She slowly reached into her bag behind her and grabbed hold of a paralysis needle. “Uh, nevermind. I figured it out. Thankyou though.” She said, her wings quivered nervously, ready to take flight if he made a sudden move.

"Oh, okay." Well this was strange. Ifrits are really weird. "Well, if you ever need help, I'm Szmierc," his scarred hand shot out of his sleeve but stopped short, remaining open in a pending handshake. "Nice to meet you."

Aly jerked, as the hand shot towards her. She barely managed to keep herself from flying off in fright. Needless to say, she left the hand untouched. "Uh, the temple...I think...the high priest has information...or something." The fairy stuttered. The tattoo on her face sparkled as it reflected the sunlight.

"The temple! Very good! Thank youuuuuuuuuu very much." With a salute and a bow, Szmierc turned around, walked into a tree, turned back to face the fairy once more, and walked towards the bakery. It took only a few steps for him to halt and return to the fairy. "...wait a second. What's the temple look like?"

Alavina shrugged. "I don't know. I just got here myself."

"More importantly," his face hovered uncomfortably near Alavnia's, "who is the temple for? The king? The queen? Food?!"

Aly turned her face away trying not to breath in his stinky breath. This guy was seriously strange and she was becoming more tempted by the minute to stab him with one of her paralysis needles. “I don’t live here but I assume its for the all-mighty-amazing-fish-god they worship.” The disdain for the god was clear in her voice.

"Fish god?" Szmierc stroked his chin. "Sounds tasty. Where do I get one?"

“Why don’t you go ask the priest?” She smirked. “Excuse me, I have to go.” Without waiting for answer Aly took off into the sky and towards the largest, shiniest building she could find. The Temple. She'd find someone to help with her back there.

"Therein lies the crux of my problem. Where can I find th- damn." By the time Szmierc turned to glance at the fairy, she was gone. With a coin toss and a spinning bottle, Szmierc set out for the center of town.

4. Love to Write

Love to Write I'm a lover of writing. What else is to be said? Contributor

Alavina landed on the steps of the temple and was led to an elderly human who looked like he was about ready to be put in the earth...from her perspective. The room was beautiful and rich and she was just starting to feel at home when he said, "I ask for warriors, and Hessa sends me a two children and an old woman...honestly."

"I can fight too...honestly." Aly mocked in annoyance. She was already on edge first from her fight with Hessa, then from her encounter with the ferral and now an old human who probably couldn't hold a ball of eather, judging her just because she wasn't of age. It irritated her. But her wiser side reminded her that this man and his daughter were the key to finding the GodSpeaker and getting her father back. She bowed hastily and grimaced at the pain it caused her back, "Forgive my impertinence, priest. I am honored that Hessa thought me worthy of joining your expedition." The words tasted sour on her tongue, but if it meant getting his approval then she was willing to grovel a little.

5. Exzalia

"If she did then you must be one hell of a progedy, I am Jakem, pleased to meet you." A loud bang sounded behind them, Jakem casually looked back at the two men sparring, one recovering from being thrown to the ground in full armor. "We are still testing new comers, so don't mind the ruckus."

Pouring some tea and pointing to the seat he handed it to all of them. "So? while we wait for the others, tell me about your selfs."

6. AnonyMouse

AnonyMouse Contributor Contributor

The desert was usually a very lonely place. Tsubael knew this all too well; she'd been walking across it for two weeks, day and night, stopping only to top off her water supply. The city of Pia was little more than a golden dome on the horizon when she realized she was not alone. Another traveler -- the first she'd seen in quite some time -- was headed the same way. At this range, she doubted he could see her. Even with her exceptional eyesight, he was little more than a speck to her.

Her calculations indicated they shared the same destination, despite vastly different trajectories. Their paths would converge in Pia, but her rate of travel was constant, while his was decreasing at an exponential rate, suggesting a malfunction in his motive systems. She estimated he would cease functions entirely in approximately five hours and thirty-seven minutes, with a ten minute margin of error.

Five hours and twenty-nine minutes after she noticed the stranger, he collapsed face-down in the sand, less than a mile outside of Pia's gates. Tsubael continued at a constant rate, but opened her large black tome and began to write. Her hand moved quickly and precisely, like the hammers of an inari typewriter. An inkwell in her fingertip penned the traveler's demise in excruciating detail.

Then she shut the book and kept on walking.

Tsubael's fingers could not move fast enough as she watched the water sacrifice. She filled half a dozen pages with it, making sure to include every little detail. Not one drop of water was spared a place in the annals of time. The man in rags, the female soldier, and every single bystander was recorded.

The ink well in her right hand was bone dry by the time she was done. After checking to make sure no one was watching, Tsubael ejected the tiny vial of ink from her wrist, replaced it with a fresh one, and filled another page with a detailed illustration of the scene. Her hand scrambled back and forth across the page, quickly filling it. Within a minute, the scene was immortalized in ink.

The image depicted a shocked man, sans one hand, and a bold female warrior, her sword still dripping with his blood, as the caption read: "Hessa, daughter of Jakem, smites a malcontent in the streets of Pia."

Satisfied, Tsubael shut her book and left via a back alley. The hunt for the God speaker was beginning. She'd chosen her destination wisely. History was being made every second.

The flow of people moving toward the hub grew thicker as she went. Clearly, Hessa's public display had made an impression. Tsubael carefully made her way through the crowd, while trying to ignore all the warning signs that she shouldn't be here. Surely, there had to be a safe vantage point, where she could watch without being in the thick of it all.

She got more than a few strange looks from the hardened warriors. She wore a faded blue gown, which had once belonged to an inari princess centuries ago. Its long frilly sleeves and lace trimmings concealed her metal parts. A tattered gray hooded cloak and scarf did the rest. But, even if she could hide what she was, a little princess in a dirty dress, carrying a sack the size of a small goat, while wearing a fox mask, would always look out of place, no matter how hard she tried.

Her knowledge of Bahamut was limited, but Tsubael learned a few things on her way to Pia. She doubted anyone had seen an automaton before, but she was quite certain the clergymen and pious townsfolk wouldn't look kindly on an artificial life form. The probability of her being an abomination in the eyes of their god: Very high. The probability of them tearing her limb from limb: Very high.

7. Keitsumah

Keitsumah The Dream-Walker Contributor

"Alright boy man chicken thing." Ishmael said remembering the white creature he saw. "You've tried my patience and tried my armor. But as you said sorry, I shall accept it." He said with a grin.

Illudes swallowed audibly, "I-I'm not a chicken." he muttered, looking at his hands. " . . . don't know what i am . . ."

Suddenly he jumped, blinking several times. The mirage of the human boy didn't seem to move otherwise, but in reality Illudes's ears were swiveling about to catch a sound.

The thump of a hand hitting the ground after the chop of a blade had him bolting into the nearest shop in a panic. he crashed into a stall on the way, but luckily nothing fell out. Instead, he grunted, clutching his bruised side, muttering apologies before backing up into a wall.

His face turned white as bone with everyone staring at him, and he slid down the sandstone surface until he hit the floor, then curled up in a shadow to make himself look as small as possible.

"Chicken indeed -at least they don't have to worry about being scared . . ." he breathed.

8. mmarage

mmarage The Detective Contributor

I had been walking through the desert for days now, clutching a large leather book to my chest, a golden pendant with a blood red gem gleaming in the sunlight, my robe flowing in the breeze, I had the hood drawn up, partially hiding my face and my expression. The heat would have been unbearable if it hadn't been for my robe. Thanks to it I felt comfortably cool, helping me stave off dehydration and heat stroke. I was heading for the city of Pia for my first stop. I was planning on meeting a few people to journey with. I knew that I was capable enough to defend myself, but not capable enough to go through a whole journey by myself. I could see Pia in the distance, but I noticed something... no someone on the ground!

"Oh my, I hope they're alright!" I thought as I ran toward the figure, eventually coming to a halt next to the man. I knelt down and put my fingers on his wrist, right over his veins. "Still alive." I thought, feeling a pulse, I stood up straight. "Redeeming light which shines so bright, please lend me strength to help one fight!" I said, as I began the chant my robe began flowing behind me, light surrounded my body, the book I had been holding had opened and the pages began flowing of their own accord. Beams of light flowed out from my body, swirling around me and all at once sunk into the man, reinvigorating him and sealing most wounds.

I sighed quietly watching the man, he didn't wake up, I couldn't just leave him here... Pia wasn't too far away, I could probably get him in and get him to a healer, let them take care of him... I grabbed onto his arms and began trying to drag him through the sands with far too much difficulty and let go of him. "Damn he's heavy!... Nah... I'm just weak." I thought sighing, I finally gave up and ran toward Pia, I immediately got some help from the guards, I sent them out to the desert, pointing out where the man was and then parted ways, feeling that the man would be in good hands with the guards.

I looked around the city and sighed. "Where to start looking for a group?" I mumbled, then I thought... what group would want a runaway kid that could barely drag someone into town? Most people would probably just see a weakling and just walk away without seeing if I could be of some use, and if I told them that I was talented with magic, they'd still favor an Ifrit over a human when it came to magic... Still... I had to try right? I began wandering through the city aimlessly, trying my best not to get in anyone's way.

9. Macaberz

Macaberz Pay it forward Contributor

Asrar obediently sat down and accepted the tea handed to her. Ra'if, on the other hand, was visibly put on edge by the priest's mask of calmness. He sniffed his tea but took a careful sip after his grandmother's elbow had landed in his side.

"If she did then you must be one hell of a prodigy, I am Jakem, pleased to meet you."

Ra'if overheard the exchange between the fairy and the high-priest with a mixture of interest and suspicion. Having learned from his earlier encounter with the other girl, he tried not to stare at the fairy and succeeded rather well, instead watching the two man in the back spar.

"Ah, Jakem, I thought it was you," Asrar said as she put her tea down. "You don't remember me do you? I can't blame you, I wasn't a very memorable person when I first met you," she added. She waved her hand dismissively, "never do you mind. My grandson and I can both contribute to your quest in our own way. Only very few places, plants or animals in this world are a mystery to me, and I have many old friends beyond the borders of this city," she said. "As for my grandson, well he's a bit reckless, inexperienced, overeager, arrogant and stubborn." Ra'if frowned at his grandmother, clearly offended by her harsh words. "Doltish really," she added for good measure.

Ra'if opened his mouth to counter his grandmother but she lifted her hand to stop him, "and he's just a Hakim," she added.

Ra'if would've argued with Asrar if it hadn't been for the pride her voice when she'd mentioned his training. Granted, he was no Hakim Master, he wasn't even a full warrior, but he knew every trick in the book. A book which covered about 32 ways to break someone's elbow, 17 different ways of snapping someone's neck, 9 spots to hit and knock someone unconscious in a single blow and -most importantly- over 66 ways to maime, wound or otherwise injure the opponent's vitals.

10. Crumpets

Crumpets Senior Member

Hunger. Szmierc's eyes flicked around the streets as he walked. His stomach felt of only emptiness, and the road to the temple– wherever that was– seemed endless. He hadn't eaten in a while– that is, truly eaten; he'd only had little snacks to fill his stomach for the past few days. Frustratingly, he knew he would at most have a snack today as well, and probably for the next several days. With a resolute breath, Szmierc shook off all thoughts of hunger and continued walki– grumble. Okay fine I'll eat first. No rush, I guess. With this new purpose in mind, Szmierc marched up the grand restaurant steps and found the nearest server, a priestly looking man in white robes. How desperate his family's condition must be for him to still work at such an age! "Excuuuuuuuuuuuuse me sir," Szmierc tapped the priest's shoulder, "cannnnnn I get a table for 1 please? I'm ssssstarving!"

11. Kingtype

Kingtype Banned Contributor

Ishmael gave Illudes another interested look as he ran off, an evil look spread across his face. He'd heard been watching Hessa's actions from where he stood.

Tested? He didn't so much fancy that as it may reveal Samael's presence if he used up to much eather. So if he proved himself another way....he would hopefully be able to squeeze his way into the group.

"Have you gone over any details that could go wrong? I do know what you're planning."

"Well take into account what's the worst that could happen? They throw me in prison lying to them or they get a good look at chicken man here and let me join them for my good service."

"I believe you're underestimating their intellect. True most people in this city could be considered fanatics. But I can imagine those who seek the God Speaker have their own agenda such as us."

"Look lets just give it try.......but another problem is how do we show them that he's a giant chicken? He can himself look normal I believe."

"He's not a giant chicken and simple. You recall he had trouble maintaining that form under pressure? If insist on doing this simply cause him anxiety in front of the others."

Ishmael nodded and slowly walked into the wrecked store in which Illudes had crashed into. His brown hand went around the neck of Illudes once again easily picked him up.

But this time he simply placed the cowardly creature over his shoulder. He weighed next to nothing for a man like Ishmael.

"Apologies people! This thing is my prisoner." Ishmael said with out batting an eye as he started to take the flickering Illudes.

Ishmael's plan was simple. What better way to prove yourself for a quest then catching a new type of creature? Most of all if it was blood thirsty and you better believe Ishmael would do his best to make Illudes look as such.

After all the God Speaker was at stake.

12. Fan7asticMrFox

Fan7asticMrFox Contributor Contributor

Shae

The sun hadn’t moved. It seemed like hours had passed. Shae lumbered on, heaving the unconscious man through the sizzling heat. The sand clawed at her boots pulling her further down. But the whitestone drawbridge of Venshara loomed in the distance, and two silhouettes pushed through the desert towards her. Finally some help! This guy was getting heavy. She gave a struggled wave and laid the man down, covering him with her cloak. The pair of guards closed in, their steel breastplates gleaming around a mesh of purple cloth.

“Hey! Over here! This man needs assistance!” She yelled. The pair came up with grim looks on their faces, staring down at the injured. Their eyes shifted to the man, then to each other. Shae approached.

“Thank you for your help. I just found him lying in the sa–“

“Shut it, bitch.” Crack.

Caught her blind side, right on the cheek bone. The punch thrust her straight down into the sand; buried into the desert. The pair slunk away from view and her eyes blinked wickedly in shock. Her ears ringing. She rolled over to see one guard fleecing the unconscious man, the gold coins pocketed and the polearm stolen from his hilt.

Where was the other guard though? Shae could feel something entering her boot leg, the cold touch snaking down her calf. Her hidden blade removed. Now the coin pouch on her belt was being rummaged through, the jingle of gold slowly becoming silent. Bastards. Necro would swallow up filth like this.

The guard looked down on the easy prey, grabbing anything of value. He never saw her sit up. A sharp grip tightened around his throat. His eyes went wide. The white blade drove through his squishy stomach. And before he could even make a squeal she slid her hand from throat to mouth, watching the other guard as he continued to pillage completely unawares. One down. She slipped the guard into the sea of sand, burying him underneath.

The last greedy guard forced more and more into his pockets, his eyes gleaming on the man’s brazened chestplate and the plethora of weapons attached. This unconscious chump even had water! My lucky day, the guard thought, unaware of the blade cradling his throat.

Little Sister sends her regards.” She whispered in his ear. Slice.

She buried the second guard far away from the first. Staring at the horizon Shae could already see the sand covering up their bodies. Before they were gone completely she knelt by each body and quietly whispered,

Your hunt is over,

Your time is done,

Caught by the immortal predator,

But be not afraid,

Death now comes,

Your final rest is laid,

Together as one,

You stand in the darkness,

Necro guiding you forever.

And then she left them there. Rearming the unconscious man and slumping him back over her shoulder. Her cheek was cut and her lip was split, the green face mask dotted with blood. She did not care. This man may live yet.

* * *​

The choirs sang their blessed songs and the keepers pruned their gardens, and in the middle of the temple hub, surrounded by cream marble pillars and potential candidates, Jakem made conversation. Koi carp dipped about in the garden pools, their multi coloured skins rippling under the surface. Suddenly they froze, shrinking away into the deep blue. The grand doors crashed open and Shae fumbled in, dragging the unconscious man in under her shoulder.

“H… Help!” She shouted, collapsing with the man in a heap on the floor.

13. Exzalia

Jakem stared at the old one a moment, he smirked. "I was but a wee lad wasn't I? When I first saw you, how could I pass up such wisdom? I am happy to have you."

"Excuuuuuuuuuuuuse me sir," Szmierc tapped the priest's shoulder, "cannnnnn I get a table for 1 please? I'm ssssstarving!"

Jakem looked at the confused Ferral a moment. "My friend I think you are confused, this is where warriors have come to search for the God speaker, you are a Ferral no? perhaps we could use a beast such as you self."

Just then Jakem noticed a woman with a fox mask walk in. "Oh my, this keeps getting stranger and stranger."

And as if On que a call for help sounded, and what looked like a dead man was dragged in. Jakem got to his feet rushing over to the man and the young lady who dragged him. "Goodness was he out side like this?" signaling to two men they took the man to the back room. The high priest sighed then turned to the young lady.

"Did you drag him all the way here? hmmm, you show real promise, tell me are you interested in the God speaker?" he then turned to everyone else who had made it, "Such strange people, is that why you are all here?"

14. Crumpets

Crumpets Senior Member

"Such strange people, is that why you are all here?"

"I'm here because I'm frrrrrrrrrrrreaking hunggggggry!" Szmierc rubbed his neck. "Oh yeah also for the Fishspeaker guy. WHERE THE HELL IS THE GIANT FISH TEMPLE?!"

15. Macaberz

Ra'if rubbed his eyes, within the span of mere minutes they'd gone from drinking tea to a feral craving for attention in ways that only a spoiled child could, and a woman collapsing on the floor a few feet away from them. He ignored the feral's loud pleas for attention, though he kept his hand close to his sword, and instead turned to face the woman. Asrar shuffled past him and bend over the heap of human limbs in front of her.
    "Did you drag him all the way here? hmmm, you show real promise, tell me are you interested in the God speaker?"

"Manners, Jakem. Do they look fit for recruiting?" Asrar reprimanded. "Ra'if," she gestured for her grandson. Ra'if obeyed immediately. He jogged towards the man and checked his breath and pulse.

"He's still alive," Ra'if concluded, holding the man's limp wrist between his fingers. The man's skin felt familiar to his touch, though he couldn't tell why. Not thinking too much of it, he supported the man's head and looked up at Asrar and Jakem.

"He's alive, but he won't be much longer unless we do something."

"Very well," Asrar said, then turned towards Jakem. "I'll be needing dried grassroot, blue-blossom cherries and some hot gin and water."

"And a bed to put him in," Ra'if suggested.

16. Love to Write

What in the forests of Exzalia just happened! I'm like a bird in a dragon's den. Aly thought as she sat in the rafters of the temple. She'd flown up there the moment the ferral had arrived exclaiming how hungry he was.
    Gods, what if he wants to eat me? Why would the priest let him in here? And why are all these strange people arriving all of a sudden. Are they all here seeking the godspeaker? How am I supposed to get the reward when there are so many others going after him?
    Her face firmed in determination. Don't worry, Father. I'll rescue you. Even if its the last thing I do.

"Such strange people, is that why you are all here?" The priest asked looking around at everyone.
    Well I am. But no way he's going to accept me if I stay up here in the rafters like a scared chick.
    With a great deal of self-prodding Aly slowly lowered herself from the rafters, but she remained suspended in mid-air just above the rest of the group and out of reach of the ferral. Her green-wings moved so quickly they were hard to see. "I am sir. I need to find him at all cost." She said with more determination than she felt.

17. Fan7asticMrFox

Fan7asticMrFox Contributor Contributor

Shae kept quiet as one of the keepers dabbed a cloth on her cheek. Taking a pew by the marble pools, she glanced her hand across the serene waters. The keeper followed her, determined to mend the wounds on her face. Hopefully the unconscious man would be alright, that’s what mattered. But the God Speaker? She had heard the claps, though they had other meaning to her. And now this group of misfits wanted to traipse across the sea of sands to find them? Tora dea hoe.

This place did not sit well with her either. Being so deep in this holy site unnerved her greatly, the huge granite statues of Bahamut watching her every move. But there was no other option for the man, she had to get him help and this was it. Perhaps she could sneak out before anyone noticed her, but that ship had sailed when she shouted out help. Sevi Vitka! What was she to do?

Last edited: Sep 3, 2013
  18. JessWrite

JessWrite Word Nerd & Proud! Contributor

"300 scales!!!"

Sylvia's mouth dropped open, her plump lips quivering in shock. Was he...or....she, serious? Of course someone with such a fine store would not cheat a woman out of money. The thought was revolting to her, but the people of this city were different compared to her community...what used to be her community.

Sylvia quickly regained her composure, digging into her pocket for ten scales out of the fifty she had. Even ten seemed high in her eyes, but the pomegranate, she could already taste it.

"Please, would ye be so kind as to barter?" Sylvia replied. Her gentle smile continued as she tossed the scales on the counter. While doing so, a loud crash sounded, followed by gasps. Sylvia turned to see a man with his back against a wall, terror written on his handsome face. Before she could react, yet another man rushed into the store.

"Apologies people! This thing is my prisoner." He said without batting an eye. He threw the man over his shoulder, starting towards the door.

Sylvia's smile fell and her brow creased at the sight. If the man was truly a prisoner, she shouldn't get involved...but what had happened? What had he done? Had he been falsely accused? Had it even been his fault? Thoughts of her sister played in her mind; of her screaming and clawing at the ground as she had been dragged out the camp.

"STOP!" Sylvia heard herself shout and rushed after the man, blocking his path. With all eyes staring, she gripped the unpaid for pomegranate tightly between both hands. "Blessed is the man who showeth grace." she quoted.

19. lixAxil

lixAxil Self-Proclaimed Senator of the RPG subforum. Contributor

Kyra stood watching in silence at the events being unfolded in the store. Still smiling he/she thought ...What troublesome clientele we have today!!! I wonder if it's because the sun is too hot?...
    His/her hand reached under the counter, and he/she took two large black gloves, without removing the smile of his/her face; Kyra shook them a little to remove the dust of them and slowly introduced his/her hands in them. The gloves were big, covering his/her whole forearm; he/she flexed his/her fingers, checking if they were well positioned and then stood up.

"Mister Adel!!! we got trouble again, I'm taking care of them, I'll be out of the counter for a while!!!" screamed the young to the owner of the store.

A deep voice replied to Kyra.. "You're going out?, Leidy went to the temple, pass by there and tell her to come back!!" said the store owner who walked to the counter replacing Kyra.

So while the three clients were close to the door, Kyra got close to them, still smiling. His/her hands softly touched the pomegranate and lift it...

"Did I said 300 scales?, I'm sorry I meant 30" said the young smiling to the lady, he/she then put the pomegranate softly into a nearby stall, then raised her hands showing a menacing fist in front of the man who claimed to have a prisoner and said "I'm sorry but we don't apporve slavery in our store, besides you're bothering the other clients, would you kindly accompany me outside?".

20. Exzalia

Jakem raised an eyebrow. "Your standing in it my good fellow." He said to the Ferral.

"Manners, Jakem. Do they look fit for recruiting?" Asrar reprimanded.

"Pardon my rudeness Madam, but you don't look very fit for a dangerous journey your self, as for the others, we shall soon see."

The sounds of metal boots echoed through the hall way, Hessa turned the corner five more men were tailing her. "I have found five others," She said proudly, "We may have more then one group here, I suggest we split them up." Jakem nodded.

"Hessa I think it's time we told them the details, I'm going to assist Asrar in tending to the wounded man in the back.

Hessa hopped upon one of the tables her hand on her blade, she noted the strange faces and the fairy who true to her word had arrived. Strange was good, strange meant diversity, and that meant adaptability. "Thank you for coming, you know who I am, so I'll cut the pleasantries. we are all here in order to find one man, the God speaker, our last hope. To do this we need to work together as an elite team, all over VenShara people are coming together forming parties and companies in order to find him. We must do the same, to that end you all have a trail you must survive."

Hessa paused, thoughts seemed to trouble her, finally she said it. "We will be going to see Zafara, sphinx of Knowledge, the one the lives in sky line pyramid."

"WHAT!" a man yelled, and at that 10 men got up and instantly left. Jakem returned from helping the passed out man. He was waking now, though still slightly groggy. He came just in time to see the men leave he chuckled.

"Yes Zafara, before you all go dashing listen carefully." Hessa nodded. "For those not from Pia, Zafara is a sphinx that lives in one of the grand Pyramids of VenShara, 10 miles north from here she is deadly, but also very, very knowledgeable. Out of all the creatures in VenShara she for one is certain to know exactly where the God speaker is, and how to find him."

"She is also fond of trapping, torturing and then eating mortals!" one of the Ifrit snarled, "Humans and there insanity! I will have no part of this!"

"Then leave coward!" Hessa snapped, "For we are not fond of mewing kittens." Jakem raised his hand quieting the two.

"We do have a plan for getting what we want from the sphinx, we just wanted to let you all know what we are up against. This is your situation, you can wander the wilds of VenShara aimlessly most likely never getting close to the God speaker, or, you can help us in this quest, and know for certain where the God speaker is and how to find him, knowledge no one else in VenShara would know."

"That will be the test." Hessa said, simply put, those who survive the expedition to the lost Pyramid will be chosen for the spot. and of course will be the only ones in Exzalia to know for certain where the God speaker is. Fear not, we have a plan for when we encounter the sphinx, we can do it, what we lack now is the bravery of men. If you are too afraid to face the sphinx, leave now."

"If you are not." Jakem added, "Then stand beside me."

Silence followed, the various warriors began to whisper to one another. "Zafara, was not a company of soldiers lost to her?"

"Is she not the sphinx that reads the thoughts of men, a beast who is all knowing?"

"Do they really think they can trick her? this is Madness." Another added. slowly some began to back away.

21. Crumpets

Crumpets Senior Member

Based on the speech and the distinct lack of food, it was safe to assume that this was, in fact, the Temple of the Great Fish. Szmierc honestly had no idea what a sphinx was, but that made it all the more exciting. The danger, the mystery, and the opportunity to learn! Yes! Learning! SCIENCE! There was only one question remaining... Szmierc raised his hand, "Who are you again?"

22. Macaberz

"Pardon my rudeness Madam, but you don't look very fit for a dangerous journey your self, as for the others, we shall soon see."

"She means to say that trying to recruit him whilst he's barely alive seems to be...well...never mind," Ra'if said, his voice turning to a mere whisper by the time he finished. Jakem brought the ingredients that Asrar had required and they'd found a soft bench nearby to put him on. The high-priest seemed to trust Asrar with the man's life and left. Ra'if smiled as he watched his grandmother's herbs and spells kick into effect. Though he looked groggy and drowsy, the man was already waking.

Ra'if stood patiently by the man's side, ready to put him down in his make-shift bed if he were to jolt upright.

"Water," Asrar commanded. Ra'if uncorkced one of the flasks they'd just bought, supported the man's head and put the precious liquid to his lips. He could hear an all too familiar voice talk of a dangerous Sphinx. "It's her?" he mouthed towards Asrar. She shrugged, "you wanted an adventure, now you have one."

His eyes flicked to the side, then back to Asrar, "but she hates me!"

"Then perhaps you've given her reason to."

Ra'if shook his head and left the man in the care of Asrar. It appeared Jakem had just finished talking when Ra'if stood beside him, unknowing that by doing so he'd sealed his own fate.

23. Love to Write

A mystical sphinx who can read minds and is all knowledgeable!? A creature who liked to trap people, torture them then eat them!?
    Aly, what in Exzalia are you getting yourself into? You're just a weak little fairy. Go home...spend whatever time your mother has left with her. Safe and comfortable.
    Then what? She dies...and I'm left alone knowing my father is a slave to human household? That all his suffering is my fault.

Aly reached into her pack and pulled out a pad of paper. She flipped through the pages revealing many well-drawn pictures. Most of her family, some of her home. The last of her father...the way he was now. Her memories brought her back to the last time she'd seen her father. Six months ago. His face had been bruised, and he was much skinnier than normal. The happy, funny and courageous fairy she had once known was replaced with a broken, wounded, and hurting man. That was what she had drawn...so that she could never forget. Though no physical shackles held him there, the responsibility of caring for his family did. She was sure he would even let them kill him if it meant supporting Aly and her mother.

It's not right. He's suffered for too long...trying to support us. I promised him I would get him out of there. I promised. Even if it means risking my life...I have to keep that promise. Else I'll never forgive myself. If there is a god out there, he sure doesn't care about us. And since he isn't going to help our family...I have to help them myself.

Alavina put away the drawing pad and flew over to the man standing beside Jakem. When she landed, the man towered over her four-foot frame. But he didn't look threatening as the the ferral did. If anything, he seemed resigned to his fate. Aly hated awkward silence so she looked up him and said, "I'm Alavina of the Triastar Fairies. Is it rude for me to ask your name?"

24. Cadavar

Cadavar Active Member

Using a hand to shade her eyes from the cruel daylight Ketka scanned the dusty streets for a tavern. She tapped her fingers upon the cool metal surface of her flask, if she had to go to a temple she should go there with mead – mead made everything better.

A man stumbled out of a door in front of her and fell at Ketka’s feet.

“Arfff,” the man slobbered. “cut me arff.”

Ketka looked at the sign above her head the writing was fading several red paint letters beyond reading.

Ketka stepped over the drunk and into the cool of the tavern. The smell of brew and pipe smoke lingered in the air and she wrinkled her nose before reaching the bar and resting the flask on the bench-top.

“Fill her up,” Ketka ordered. The old woman laughed shaking her head.

“You know what one important ingredient goes into liquor, that we don’t got the right to waste?”

Ketka sighed, water…

“What about him out there on the pavement?” she jerked her thumb in the direction of the door.

“What Borris? He’s not drunk he’s hallucinating he hate bad berries outside town. We told him to stop eating things he don’t know about. Borris don’t listen.”

Ketka snatched her flask of the counter and stomped out the door. She moved swiftly along the street. If it wasn’t for that fat pig, she’d find the God Speaker and ask for gold then she’d buy her own damn tavern.

With this in mind she stomped up the steps of the temple and wandered about aimlessly.

"Excuuuuuuuuuuuuse me sir," Szmierc tapped the priest's shoulder, "cannnnnn I get a table for 1 please? I'm ssssstarving!"

They served food here? Ketka smirked, a priest waiting on people, she liked that idea. Ketka hung back watching the people that arrived, and those already present. They should go home already, Ketka would find the god Speaker, and then she’d forget – or kill Bradnt, whichever pleased her at the time.

25. Kingtype

Kingtype Banned Contributor

"He's not a slave. He attacked me outside and I'm placing him under arrest. Besides I'm not quite convinced he's all that human." Ishmael lied about the attacking part. Samael using his own eather to add an edge to his words.

His one then turned to Sylvia and narrowed as she blocked his path. "Blessed be the girl who minds her own business. As for you lady." He said looking at Kyra. "I have no interest in fighting a woman."

"Not a woman." Samael called out. "Nonetheless let us get the temple."

Ishmael blinked in confusion and took another glance at Kyra. Not a woman? Then what the hell was it? Is this entire city filled with cree- Well he wasn't one to talk. Ishmael simply pushed passed Sylvia in an aggressive and started towards the temple.