1. BREEZER

BREEZER Member

Spelling shoosher or shusher

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by BREEZER, Mar 18, 2017.

Character nickname

Shoosher or shusher

thanks

2. Spencer1990

Spencer1990 Contributor Contributor

Depends on the sound you want, I think.

Shoosher, to me, sounds like shoe-sher.

Shusher sounds like Shush-er. Kind of like when you tell your 5 year old kid to "shush" because you don't want to say something like "shut the fuck up for once, man."

3. BREEZER

BREEZER Member

I'm after shoe sher.

Shoosher as in Push (pusher) as opposed to hush (husher)

oosh not Ah-sh

Haha.. oh yeah my 5 year old.. To her face, I say quiet please darling, In my head I say shut the fuck up.

Spencer1990 likes this.
  4. Spencer1990

Are you sure you're after "Shoe-sher?"

To me, that doesn't sound like Pusher. It would be more like "Pooh-sher" which is not how I say pusher.

If you want it to sound like Pusher, I'd go with Shusher. In my ear, Shusher rhymes with Pusher.

5. BREEZER

BREEZER Member

Sorry, I'm making a mess of this.

So you're saying the spelling of shusher rhymes with pusher?

If that's the case, then I'm going with shusher.

To my ears though shusher rhymes with Husher and shoosher rhymes with pusher.

o_Oo_O:confused:

6. Spencer1990

I think someone else will have to comment because I don't pronounce "shusher" the same way I would pronounce "husher" with an S added to the front. For me, with the added S, the vowel (U) takes on a bit of a different sound, closer to the sound it makes in "pusher."

So, for me, and this might just be a failure on my part, if you wanted the name to phonetically sound like "Pusher" you would need to spell it "Shusher" rather than "Shoosher."

7. BREEZER

BREEZER Member

I think you're right Spencer, thank you. I'm going with Shusher.

8. Pinkymcfiddle

Pinkymcfiddle Banned

Just to stir this up again, to me shusher rhymes with flusher (shush also rhymes with flush rather than push).

9. BayView

BayView Huh. Interesting. Contributor

My votes:

Shoosher: shoe-sher, which would rhyme with ... nothing I can think of

Shusher: husher with an "s" added, but no change to the vowel sound. so rhymes with husher, musher, gusher, etc. Not with pusher, though. Not sure why pusher gets its own vowel sound from that group, but it does, at least in my dialect.

(Ontario, Canada accent)

10. BREEZER

BREEZER Member

hahaha oh ffs :confused:

Yes I thought shusher was husher, gusher, lusher, usher. I want shoosher. As in pusher.

So I'm back to Shoosher??

Can someone please explain why pusher is pusher and husher us husher. ????

hahaha o_O

11. matwoolf

matwoolf Banned Contributor

Shoosher sounds like 'shoe shine.' Also, you got the double shush going down, it's not right. How about 'Thrasher' or 'Thrush' the snitch, how he tweets..

12. BayView

I honestly can't think of a way to spell it so that it would rhyme with pusher. That's a weird sound, that u in pusher. Where's @Wreybies when you need him? A little linguistics help, here? What the hell is that u sound in pusher? sheusher? That's as close as I can get, I think, but I feel like I might put the accent on the second syllable if I read that word without context....

13. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

The U of pusher is a strange sound. Breezer and I are from two very different speaking regions, so we've got that between us as well. I can't think of a spelling for the needful word that would give it the U of pusher. Shoosher gives me the U of shoe and shusher gives me the U of cup. It's a character's nickname, not a rhyme for a poem, so I would personally go with Shusher and just accept the fact that not everyone is going to pronounce it exactly right. I think Shoosher takes it further from the mark, and more obligatorily than Shusher.

BREEZER likes this.
  14. OurJud

OurJud Contributor Contributor

But 'shoosher' doesn't rhyme with 'pusher'. Where on earth are you from? You must have one very strange accent!

:confused: indeed!

'Shusher', 'Husher', and 'Pusher' all rhyme. 'Shoosher' does not. How can you not hear that???

15. Spencer1990

Maybe I'm strange, but when I add an S to "husher" to make it "shusher" it gets the same vowel sound as "pusher."

Could be regional. I don't say shush the same way I say hush. I say shush to rhyme with push.

BayView likes this.
  16. OurJud

This is getting like the Twilight Zone. I can only imagine it IS regional and am beginning to think I owe @BREEZER an apology for my show of frustration.

Where I come from, 'shush' and 'hush' are perfect rhymes, as is 'push'.

I'm quite intrigued now. @Spencer1990, if you don't say 'shush' and 'hush' the same way, how the hell ARE you saying them? There's only one letter different so I'm mystified as to why you don't sound them the same way.

BREEZER and Spencer1990 like this.
  17. BayView

So it's the pronunciation of "shush" that's different, not the pronounciation of "push"... but, no, not for @OurJud, who's getting strangely aggressive about this... it's just different accents, Jud!

Ontario, Canada - shush, hush, mush, lush -they rhyme. Push is a different sound. More of a gutteral, back-of-the-mouth vowel sound.

ETA: Crossposted with @OurJud's moment of realization!

OurJud and Spencer1990 like this.
  18. Spencer1990

@OurJud

For me, hush gets the standard "uh" sound from the u.

But, shush gets the strange inflected one that appears in push (and I know I'm not crazy on this because @BayView and @Wreybies both acknowledged that it does have a strange sound, haha).

I can't imagine saying shush in a way that rhymes with hush, using the standard "uh" sound from the u. That sounds forced to my ear.

Edited: I mean that I'm not crazy on the inflection in "push." I may very well be crazy on shush, because, to me, it does not rhyme with mush, lush, etc.

OurJud likes this.
  19. OurJud

Yes, apologies. I do tend to get frustrated over stuff like this. Maybe I need to see more of the world.

However, I'm still mystified. @Spencer1990, would you kindly spell, phonetically for your accent, the three words 'hush, shush and push' ?

I need a fellow Englishman to come and back me up on this.

20. Spencer1990

I can't really spell them phonetically in a way that would make any more sense, especially because I'm on my phone, but...

Shush and push make the same vowel sound. Oh and we can throw bush in this group, too. And also tush, apparently. (All of these have the strange, inflected u sound that Wrey and Bay talked about.)

Hush, mush, lush make the same vowel sounds, but different from the above group. (Normal uh sound from the vowel.)

It should also be said that I'm from the South West (of non-Hispanic decent). My accent is extremely neutral as far as American accents go. I can't be placed by my accent like a lot of the country.

21. OurJud

Mmm, none-the-wiser. If anything I'm more confused.

So you say you pronounce 'push' and 'shush' with an 'oh' sound? If I do that with those words I get 'posh' and 'shosh' (not that 'shosh' is a word as far as I'm aware)

I'm going to come to America and ask random people to say these words so that I can laug... I mean understand it better.

22. Spencer1990

No, not with an oh sound like in posh and shosh. It's still a u sound, but it's a strange inflected one.

23. Pinkymcfiddle

Pinkymcfiddle Banned

So hang on, now you're saying you pronounce push and shush like colonoscopy?

Spencer1990 likes this.
  24. Spencer1990

Closer to enema, but yes. Very similar.

25. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

shush, hush, mush, lush all get the U of cup for me

push, put, foot all get the U of... well... of each other because I can't think of another word, but they don't rhyme with the prior words for me :-D

My hubby would think we're all crazy because he's got a heck of a time with the subtle vowel differences in English. Spanish vowels each do one job and one job only. My hubby cannot pronounce feet and fit differently, nor beat and bit. :bigconfused: