Tattoo's and opinions.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by thalorin19, Jan 9, 2012.

1. Jhunter

Jhunter Mmm, bacon. Contributor

I just noticed he has a giant marijuana leaf on his upper stomach.

2. Felipe

Felipe Active Member

They have all been covered with Christian tattoos now. He is the vice president of a Christian motorcycle club and does a prison ministry.

3. CH878

CH878 Active Member

I think it's a shame that in the UK tattoos have become synonymous with a lesser intelligence. I would like to get one myself, but probably never will because of how it would make other people view me.

4. Jhunter

Don't get me wrong. I wasn't judging him at all. While I don't partake in marijuana anymore, I live in California where it is basically legal for everyone now. Most of my friends work at or frequent "medicinal clinics."

So I have absolutely nothing against it.

But that is cool that he found a different direction in life, that I am sure he is much more happy with.

5. Jhunter

Get one where people cant see it?

6. CH878

CH878 Active Member

Unfortunately I quite fancy having one on my forearm or hand, but you're right, that would be a possibility.

7. jazzabel

jazzabel Agent Provocateur Contributor

I don't think it's quite true. It's the prison tattoos that people recognise and then have the usual prejudices. Professionally done tattoos are quite common and I don't think that they evoke the same response as they did 20 or 30 years ago.

8. CH878

CH878 Active Member

You have a point, and tattoos are quite common, but as an example of what I mean, a six-former at my school got a tattoo and was expelled because of it.

9. Flowerfairy

Flowerfairy Member

I have a tattoo of a fairy reaching out to the sun. It is inked a few inches on top of my bum. On my right ankle is small tattoo. Actually it's the name of my late twin.

10. jazzabel

Aww, that's terrible! Was it a private or public school? When did that happen? Was the tatoo visible in full clothing or was it hidden? I know they can be pretty hung up on attire rules in schools, and they may have the rule that students can't have obvious tattoos, piercings etc just like they can insist on uniforms. Personally, I think those kinds of rules should be considered discriminatory and unacceptable, but since we have a case law, until someone sues a school in this context they'll (schools) will be able to do things like this. But having said that, I think that if it was brought before courts, the school would lose, because it is really not justifiable to interfere with personal choices to that degree, and I hope that in this day and age, most schools wouldn't have done something like that.
    But yes, it sucks...

11. CH878

CH878 Active Member

It was before my time there, probably about ten years ago maybe, so I'm not sure about details, but I guess it must have been visible for them to find out about it. The school isn't a private school, it's a state grammar, and to be fair to them they do make it clear in the rules about what is and isn't allowed in terms of appearance. I think that these days they would probably let it go so long as it wasn't on your face or something.

12. spklvr

spklvr Contributor Contributor

I have an ANBU tattoo on the back of my calf. A not painful place to put it, apparently. I thought it hurt well enough... I thought long and hard about it. Actually, I drew it on there for a few months with permanent marker before I actually went and got it. I didn't get it because I love Naruto all that much, but because I adore the design, and I feel it represents everything geeky and childish about me. The things that I love and I'm terrified I'll grow out of.

http://images.wikia.com/denaruto3/de/images/a/a7/AnbuTattoo01.png

13. jazzabel

Haha, yes :) Times have changed.

14. D-Doc

D-Doc Active Member

I'm tatted up like a junk monkey straight out of the pen.

15. Snoopingaround

Snoopingaround Banned

You only got one life. So why not tattoo yourself silly? On the other hand, you only got one body, so if you do that then you can't change your mind. So bascially this is a conundrum. Personally I think tattoos are pretty ghetto, and that kind of reflects on the person with them as well (in that they could be ghetto style people, though not necessarily). If you have any hesitation or any doubts, then do not get any tattoos. You must 100% confident and certain before you get any. Otherwise, wait on it, or forgot about it altogether.

16. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

There's more than one way to skin a tat.

But if you never ink yourself, you'll never need to.

17. RomanticRose

RomanticRose Active Member

You've been waiting through four pages of this thread for the opening to make that pun, haven't you?

18. RusticOnion

RusticOnion New Member

I honestly don't get it.

God I feel stupid.

19. shaylyn

shaylyn New Member

I have two birds, one on each shoulder blade and the word "faith" written on my wrist. I don't regret either because I thought about them each for at least 6 months before getting them. I've wanted to get more (a small raindrop behind my ear representing my business and a peacock feather on my foot) but I don't know if I will get them. My husband doesn't like tattoos all that much and even though I already have two, I would much rather he be happy with my skin :)

Also, I attended private school and got my first tattoo in the last months before I graduated high school. It was against the rules so they just made me wear a jacket or shirt that didn't show my back. It wasn't a big deal as long as I kept it covered, which kinda sucked while it was healing :p

20. RusticOnion

RusticOnion New Member

I've been thinking lately and I kinda want to get Ryuk and Light Yagami's (Death Note) faces halved and pushed together, with a Crow/Raven/Rook with its talon resting on light's head and pulling his eye out of the socket, except halfway along the optical nerve turns into a flower stem, and the eye itself into a flower of some variety (lily or sunflower) with purple petals and a black centre.

21. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Actually, no.

I came, I saw, I punned.

It's like breathing for me.

22. Jhunter

Tattoos are not permanent anymore. I say live in the now and get what you want. You can always get it removed later fairly inexpensively nowadays.

23. Newfable

Newfable New Member

There's one that I'd really like to get, primarily because it's the only one I've thought about for a great deal of time. I'd like to get in white text, "Curiouser and Curiouser," wrapped around my right wrist.

I also thought about getting a small keyhole on both my arms or so, but I haven't thought about that one as much as I'd like to yet.

24. Mallory

Mallory Contributor Contributor

I have one in mind that I plan to get when 1) I can afford it, and 2) when I have the design figured out enough that I know exactly how I want it. I'm still figuring out the details. I want two old-school quill feather pens crossed over like swords in a way that also makes them sort of look like wings, and writing out the words "live free" or "stay free" and surrounded by flames.

It represents the two biggest parts of my identity -- writing, and my value of freedom/independence -- so it's something that will always stay meaningful. I think it would be stupid to get something like a cutesy heart or flower just for the hell of it. I'm not the cutesy type, but even if I was, I'd probably get sick of something like that so fast.

25. RusticOnion

RusticOnion New Member

Why the flames?

Can the stem of the quills have biceps?