Tavern's General Life Issues Corner.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Raven, Apr 30, 2008.

1. Carmina

Carmina Contributor Contributor

Sound like she needs to grow the heck up. The world doesn't revolve around her and neither does the family.

2. SonnehLee

SonnehLee Contributor Contributor

The ironic thing is she calls me immature all the time. I've really just moved to a point of reclusiveness where I rarely leave my room and try to avoid trouble. But, in a minivan, that will be much harder. So, I don't know. I'm really hoping that I hit it off with Gram or Pop (haven't seen them since I was about four) and I can focus on that. But the rides there and back are what worry me. A friend's lending me her ipod, but I really need a way to pass time as silently as possible.

3. Ashleigh

Ashleigh Contributor Contributor

In the comfort of my stubborn little mind.
    My advice is to just give no response to her.
    If she starts, just say you're not in the mood for her attitude and leave it at that.
    She can only play the game as long as you can after all.

4. Ashleigh

he's gonna kill you over two c's when you get B's and A's?!?!

he should be worshipping you! You've done amazingly well, dont forget it!

5. Ashleigh

God, they expect so much of you.
    If i was you my parents would be making gold statues of me.
    Actually,that's a lie.
    but they SHOULD make gold statues.
    of you.
    :p

6. Ti Odio E Ti Amo

Ti Odio E Ti Amo New Member

My dad's even worse lol. He thinks his children are the smartest borne grifts in this time, so he expects all A's- even in a freaking AP course. Luckily my mom disagrees and thinks "as long as you try your best," taking my side haha. I mean, a B in an AP class is good enough for me.

7. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Well, it's not for nought that they refer to folks like me as "Type A personalities." That's why I still kick myself over the four A- grades on my college transcript.

But at least it's pressure I put on myself, not something imposed by someone else.

8. Carmina

My grandmother was one of those "why is that an A- not an A" kinda parents. My mom was careful not to do that to us. However, I put enough pressure on myself. I still regret graduating college Magna instead of Suma.

9. Ashleigh

^ My dad's like that. He never has any praise for me, not the kind from the heart anyway. It's always that sort of "yeah but shouldnt you be doing better?" kind of thing.

10. Carmina

My parents were very supportive. My dad even came to see the show I did in college where I had to make out with a girl on stage. (keep in mind he paid for 13 years of catholic school for me). I think I lucked out.

11. SonnehLee

What does magna and suma mean?

12. Carmina

Levels of honors based on grade point average. I graduated with a 3.85 so I got Magna. If I had gotten 3.9 would have been Summa. It is Cum Laude, Magna Cum Laude and the Summa Cum Laude for the really smart or dedicated ones.

13. SonnehLee

ohh. okay. :) I've learned something new today.

14. Neha

Neha Beyond Infinity. Contributor

my parents have always been pressurizing, but they where to back off, though there are tms when I'm jealous of my sis. Petty of me, but I envy that she gets away with C and C-, whereas 'm expected to stick to A+ gradiency. I have a conc. problem. and dunno what 'm gong to do this coming March.

15. soujiroseta

soujiroseta Contributor Contributor

i recently realized that im going to graduate next year... i mean im going to GRADUATE! my whole life so far my parents have been making big decisions for me and recently when i spoke to my father i asked him what i should do once im finished, he told me that its all up to me. this was near the end of january, ever since then ive been unable to sleep because of the thought of being on my own has freaked me out so much. i am actually trying to find out what i''ll do but i cant think of it. i know what i want to do but the execution is something else. i dont know. anyone ever felt like this before or have some advice on my situation.

16. Carmina

It happens to all of us at some point. For me...it was when I graduated college. Find good supports. For me...my aunt and uncle really were good guides into the adult world. It is rough, but necessary.

17. soujiroseta

soujiroseta Contributor Contributor

i suppose so but i guess its one of those defining moments in a persons life...stepping up to adulthood...man i dont want to grow up!

18. Carmina

Who does? I totally understand and relate. Parts of it are going to totally suck, but there is such an opportunity for growth and experience. You trade security for freedom. It is a difficult trade, but it is worth it in the end.

19. Speedy

Speedy Contributor Contributor

[FONT=&quot]Personally I loved the idea of growing up. Don’t get me wrong; I still like “being a kid” and being young at heart. But the whole idea of being independent couldn’t come soon enough (I broke away from family when I was 14, still lived at home, but made sure I had a job and paid for everything myself before I turned 15). I understand everyone is different, but the fact my family never had the opportunity to have any attachments (apart from being family) I truly thrived off it. Sadly my girlfriend is (was) different, she let her parents help pay for a vocation years ago, and she still owes them a lot of money (that im paying back).[/FONT]

20. SonnehLee

I am trying to convince my parent's to let me spend a semester in Austria as a foreign exchange student. I'm scared outta my wits that they're going to say no.

21. Mcarpenter

Mcarpenter New Member

Let me know if you meet an Ava Hoffman while you're there. ;) She was my Austrian penpal 16 years ago. I had penpals from Switzerland, Japan, England and Austria (back in the dark ages before the light of the internet made it possible to correspond regularly with folks from all over the world...)

BTW...these really nice Nigerian guys in Yahoo Chat keep asking me if I'll invite them to stay with me here in America...Do you think I should? :confused:
    LOL.

22. ScHaLl

ScHaLl New Member

My girlfriend left me today...
    I had a bad month, my grandma may not have much longer to live, my parents may get divorced, my band left me sitting on my ass when they broke up, nothing works. So I turned to her, more than usually. Yeah, I wanted to spend time with her, I walked after her too much. She never knew why I did so, I didn't want this in my mind when I was with her.
    Now after not quite a month of this, she got tired of it. She said she lost any feeling for me because of this behaviour, she said she couldn't live with me like this. She'd never want me back.

Yesterday she kissed me and said "I love you" in my eyes... last saturday was one of the best days we ever had, we were silly, had so much fun, everything was great.
    Now I'm sitting here and I don't get it. How could she not love me anymore so soon after those good days?

Or maybe... well, may it be she just wants... distance from me for a while? I know I have to give her some time, but is there any chance that she just said "I'll leave you forever" so I wouldn't try to fight for her and annoy even more, so she'd have time on her own, away from me? Do you think.. this love of my life is gone forever? What should I do? I'm hurt... I'm hurt so bad.

23. Xeno

Xeno Mad and Bitey Contributor

Jesus... That's too bad mate, but I know how you feel.

My girlfriend of over a year just walked up to me one day and dumped me, saying that she didn't think I spent enough time with her. This was about an hour before I was taking her out to the pictures and for a romantic dinner afterwards. She never even gave me any warning, just walked right up and dumped me there and then.

Now she wants to get back together with me and although it may sound harsh, my actual reaction to those words, whilst in a room full of my friends who were all staring at me, was a small laugh and:

"Somehow... I don't think so. Bye."

Trust me, if she doesn't want to be with you then that's it. There's no going back now. Just let her go and move on, because I promise you, someone better will come along.

Hope this helps. If not, ignore me. :)

24. ScHaLl

ScHaLl New Member

I don't mean to be harsh, but I'd rather ignore you. The points are different... it's not that she doesn't think I spend enough time with her, she thinks I spend (or want to spend) too much time with her... so maybe she just uses this as a break?

25. Xeno

Xeno Mad and Bitey Contributor

Ok. That's kind of why I suggested you could, in case I'd got it completely wrong. Sorry I couldn't help. :)