Tavern's Member Picture Gallery.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Raven, Apr 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

beanie babies ... tamigotchis (remember them)... woodland friends.... those little china houses etc - not to mention perpetual bonds (which were the stock market equivalent - bonds that never matured which had value because people said they did... until they didn't)

'Not wanting to sound like a jerk here' but if you want to pay through the nose for some made in china plastic figures because they are collectible ... feel free... just don't think of it as an investment (as Wreybies said on a different thread collect things you like because you may get stuck with them)

Mind you I recall some guy some years ago paid ten grand real money for a magic sword in WoW... which doesnt even exist outside of the Wow servers.

2. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

I heard somewhere that a fool and his money are soon parted. This is Exhibit A.

big soft moose and Trish like this.
  3. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

personally i collect soft moose .. I have no illusions they are worth anything, i just like them

Iain Aschendale likes this.
  4. Trish

Trish Damned if I do and damned if I don't Contributor

There was a game called Furry Pawz (it might still exist Idk) but you had a kennel of dogs and you could show them and win stuff (all in game crap). Well I had a very low number account (16 I think) that had been given to me. I needed money and someone said I should sell it, which I though was absurd, but okay whatever. I wasn't playing I'd take the 5 bucks.

3k is what somebody paid - three thousand dollars - for a logon for a game so they could have the 'status' of a low number account when accounts numbered in the tens of thousands. People are crazy. (I mean, I took his money, but I didn't respect him in the morning)

5. Lewdog

Lewdog Come ova here and give me kisses! Supporter Contributor

And? That doesn't change the fact of how irresponsible it is to make blanket statements about something you have no clue about. How much did it cost to make a 1910 Honus Wagner baseball card? An item that came FREE with tobacco? How much is it worth today?

Then you made the logical fallacy leap from what I mentioned to a digital item.

Let me break something down for you, right now the smartest financial investors in the world have gone on record as saying that it is a better long term investment to buy rare collectible sports cards and comic books than stocks. Even Legos... a simple piece of plastic as you would put it, are now a good investment.

6. big soft moose

I'm not looking for an argument but I'd say its more irresponsible to promote the investment in things with no intrinsic value ... at least with lego you can play with it if you can't sell it (also you have jumped to the conclusion I know nothing rather too quickly - I'm not an expert on japanese collectibles true, but I do know fair bit about investment strategy)

I'm fairly sure the best financial advisors in the world aren't saying anything of sort... get out of stocks sure because the market is volatile with trump/brexit etc, but invest in collectibles with no intrinsic value rather than say gold, jewels or land /property etc I somehow doubt.

EOTD theres no need to argue , and I'm sure wrey and co would prefer we didnt - if you like your japanese figures then good for you, I hope they bring you joy ( I know a bloke who collects Pez dispensers and another that collects star wars action figures that's fine it takes all sorts). But you won't convince me that its a sound investment (beyond the joy it brings you) so lets just agree to differ

Last edited: Jul 22, 2017
  7. big soft moose

oh and BTW ebay tells us that honus wagner cards are worth anywhere from jack to about 3 grand ... EOTD they are worth what someone will pay (theres a three card set for $9.99 or a single card for $2800)

8. Lewdog

The only problem I have with your argument is that you take your opinions that aren't based on facts and state them as facts. What you are doing right now is one of my biggest pet peeves about people, when they make negative comments about something they don't know anything about, and take their time to expend energy making those negative comments rather than actually taking the time to learn about the subject before commenting on it.

Also, just to prove you don't even know what they are, yet you are making statements about them, Funko Pops cover a wide arrange of things and are not "Japanese figures."

https://money.usnews.com/investing/articles/2016-10-31/consider-collectibles-in-your-portfolio

9. Lewdog

It does? Man... just stop. You have NO CLUE what you are talking about.

"The card ultimately sold for $2,105,770.50, including the buyer's premium, a record price for a baseball card in a public auction.[80]"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T206_Honus_Wagner

10. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

:stop:

There is no point to this conversation and it is diverting the thread from its initial intention.

I actually DO have a clue as to what I'm talking about. I worked in the antiques and collectibles trade for a number of years while attending U.F., as stated, at Turkey Creek Auction. It's a speculative market at best. What sells for a mint today can't be given away tomorrow, and vice versa. When I first got into the trade, New York Empire furniture was all the rage. Before the year was out, Dave, the auctioneer, started refusing New York Empire because it just wasn't selling anymore. The market had moved on to all things Stickley and Van Erp, and Prairie School was the hot new thing. Little old ladies would come in with their Hummel figurine collections and price guides clutched to their chests and we had turn them away because Dave didn't want to deal - emotionally - with watching these ladies get no better than $10 to $15 dollars for figurines they thought would sell for hundreds of dollars apiece because that's what it said in the books. Goebel, the company that makes Hummels to this day, watched their figurines amass value in the market as collectibles, and then the company itself started buying collections of vintage pieces and hoarding them. When the market hit a peak, they unloaded their hoarded collections, flooding the market and value took a total nosedive, never to recover.

The entire trade is called speculative for a reason.

And that is the end of this conversation in this thread. I will delete any further posts that are not on-venue without warning.

Iain Aschendale likes this.
  11. Laurin Kelly

Laurin Kelly Contributor Contributor

I got me a pretty new oilslick/peacock underlayer at the hair salon tonight!

result 2.JPG
    result.JPG

Attached Files:

Fernando.C, VynniL, KaTrian and 4 others like this.
  12. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Telemachus Sneezed
    Ah, the coloring options you have these days. When I was of an age to color my hair unnaturally, we had Halloween spray can stuff, and some goopy junk the consistency of toothpaste, both of which washed out on the first use.

Jealous I am....

Trish and Laurin Kelly like this.
  13. Iain Aschendale

Telemachus Sneezed
    This ad appeared where I'm used to seeing members' Amazon books advertised. For a moment, I was very interested:

_20170801_162936.JPG

14. Wreybies

Silly photo from Ripley's Believe It Or Not.
    yourphoto.jpg

15. Iain Aschendale

Telemachus Sneezed
    I don't think we're in Dorothy anymore, Toto.

Fernando.C, Trish and Shadowfax like this.
  16. Wreybies

No, no, never. I've only every been a friend of Dorothy. ;) People always assume we're dating because we're joined at the hip, but... no. :whistle:

Fernando.C, Laurin Kelly and Trish like this.
  17. Iain Aschendale

Telemachus Sneezed
    Joined at the hip= close friends.

Joined at the hips, well...

18. Wreybies

More silly pics from Ripley's. It's rare for people to take photos of me. Not really sure why it's a thing, but it is. My niece and her mom in these photos.

IMG_2110.JPG

IMG_2109.JPG

19. obsidian_cicatrix

obsidian_cicatrix I ink, therefore I am. Contributor

tree and mural_pin.jpg
    A mural from Sunflower Fest

Rained out of play_pin.jpg
    Speaks for itself.

Bottoms Up_2.jpg

Singer toasts the memory of her sister before launching into their seminal, festival classic, 'I Don't Want to Die in Big Knickers.' :D

20. Iain Aschendale

Telemachus Sneezed
    This popped up in my feed again. It's just sooo cute.

Until you think it through.

80f0fcd35ba8982a7ff70a3baf09454a.jpg

Moon, Wreybies and KaTrian like this.
  21. KaTrian

KaTrian A foolish little beast. Contributor

@Iain Aschendale That is positively disturbing...

@Wreybies Someone's been lifting weights. :eek: Do you bench trucks on the regular?

22. Wreybies

I've been taking it easy lately. Just sedans and coupes. ;)

23. obsidian_cicatrix

obsidian_cicatrix I ink, therefore I am. Contributor

KID: But Muum... Why can't I have the Minion bed for Xmas? I've been really good."

MOTHER: Beat your fists off that floor one more time and you might just get your wish."

Sorry, sorry, in bad taste, I know, but if I don't find humour in it somehow, I'm likely to break down crying.

KaTrian and Iain Aschendale like this.
  24. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

So yah... my dog hates thunder. IMG_0288.JPG

MythMachine, Moon, Fernando.C and 2 others like this.
  25. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

So does one of mine. If I say "kaboom", even quietly, she freaks out. :p

I sit with them in thunder storms, on the 4th and on New Years.

Fernando.C and Link the Writer like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.