1. Yvanung

Yvanung New Member

Devil interested in something other than a soul

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Yvanung, Dec 3, 2015.

In an attempt to portray the devil as different from the conventional Faustian devil, at one point the devil offers to my main character perfect grades for the rest of her life in exchange for something other than a soul. Here the MC trades away her ability to do original research. Now, I understand that such a trade is likely to end up being a poor bargain.

Whether perfect means perfect "in absolute terms", i.e. the maximum score every time, or just As/A+s (depending on whether A+s are awarded or not) after the curve is accounted for, even if the absolute value attached to it is not perfect (e.g. perfect "in relative terms"), is yet to be determined. But the pact's terms do not extend to perfection on standardized tests. I have already settled on the circumstances that made her sign the pact with the devil, as well as its aftermath and its terms.

However, that might explain why the scope of what the devil gets is so limited: because the MC asked for something that is equally limited in scope. A number of explanations I could come up with:

- Hell's government actually needs something other than a soul to remain functional; souls are, under this scenario, a dime a dozen in hell
    - The devil actually has finite resources and needs the MC's research skills to fulfill another contract with someone else
    - The devil asks for souls only when the value of what is being asked is sufficiently high

2. NeighborVoid

NeighborVoid Active Member

The devil needs a spy to gather intel.

3. Robert Musil

Robert Musil Comparativist Contributor

This is an interesting concept.

I don't think you really need to worry too much about the Devil's motivation in this situation. We all sort of know that the Devil is there to tempt people, we don't really need to know why, and the "but he'll do trades for less than a soul" idea is interesting enough on its own. If you do need one, I think the three ideas you came up with all work fine.

Another thought I had was that maybe, in our cynical modern times, the Devil knows that everyone is wise to his soul-trade offer and will refuse it. So he starts by getting people to agree to smaller trades ("It's only your ability to do original research, it's not like I'm asking for your soul or anything!") as a way to get people hooked, addicted to trading away stuff until eventually he works up to their soul. Sort of like how* drug pushers will give you a free sample to get you hooked, and once you're addicted you end up stealing your grandma's VCR to pay for more of the stuff.

*the following is definitely not from personal experience

4. Tom13

Tom13 Member

Is it the devil? if so he is going to want something pretty big. maybe he wants an artefact finding, or destroying?

If it was another magical entity then maybe he/she would want something smaller. even something quintessentially human which they may prize highly for some reason

5. hilal

hilal Active Member

Devil wanting to go back to heaven. I believe that was supposed to be a movie staring Daniel Craig(devil). I myself imagined to be the supporting character in that film.

6. Yvanung

Yvanung New Member

I have another idea: rather than the original MC being, in fact, the MC, the new MC would be the devil that signs not just that particular pact, but also a whole host of pacts that, individually, amount to "but he'll do trades for less than a soul" but for hell, will do a greater effect than these souls.

What is often overlooked is that hell has, in fact, an economy. Actually it's a combination of the above reasons I listed, especially #1 and #3.

My new MC would then be some other malevolent entity (one of Belzebuth or Tiamat) that wishes to wrest control of hell away from Satan or Lucifer. Which one is the guy to dethrone is, as yet, undetermined; however, each (yet-to-be-named) camp in the infernal power games have high-level supporters:

Side A:

- Satan
    - Lucifer
    - Belphegor
    - Mammon
    - Leviathan
    - Baal
    - Mephistopheles

Side B:

- Belzebuth
    - Tiamat
    - Astaroth
    - Asmodeus
    - Abaddon
    - Balberith
    - Behemoth

7. Inks

Inks Senior Member

Or simply that the Devil was the champion of humanity and that he gets things done by bartering people's time and experience for profit and purpose? Is that any different from a soul? You decide.

Devil: Hey, Tom... I'm collecting on that Ferrari I got you.
    Tom: Oh... now? I got so many things to do right now.
    Devil: Same, but a deal is a deal and you to fly to push this "Save the Whales" campaign through.
    Tom: And if I refuse.
    Devil: You cannot! That was part of the deal...
    Tom: #%$&!

Hell is what you make of it.

8. nippy818

nippy818 Senior Member

I use the devil in my book. The reader never knows if he is real or not, but, his intentions are not for souls. He leads the character in the right path, but uses the hero's vanity and greed to lead him. I say go for it, its an interesting concept and i would read on.

9. SuperVenom

SuperVenom Senior Member

Does the reason why the devil takes her research factor into the plot ir can it just be the devil take what hurts them most as a sort of torment . .. or just meh...because lol

10. Sack-a-Doo!

Sack-a-Doo! Contributor Contributor

You know how they say God works in mysterious ways? Well, why not the devil, too?

I think you've got an interesting idea here. The devil's screwing with people and isn't that part of what he's all about?