Tags:
  1. SnowWhiteBriBri

SnowWhiteBriBri Member

Hello from Arizona!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by SnowWhiteBriBri, Feb 18, 2020.

I completely missed this area in my pursuit of knowledge here in this wonderful forum! So for that, my most humble apologies.

I came here with the initial intention of using mostly the Research area. I am in the middle of writing my first official novel-length work. When I mention I am writing to anyone in the real world, the inevitable question of "What are you writing?" always throws me because I am somewhat embarrassed to answer. I am writing a fanfiction. I'm not saying that I should be ashamed, just that I am. A bit. Because it's a typical BBC Sherlock-inspired Johnlock/Mystrade monstrosity that many people just don't want to read. Well, at least the people that I surround myself with. But I felt it in my bones and one day I just started writing. I had to get it out. As I continued to write it, I became more enthralled in the case fiction. I spent many hours plotting or researching murder and mayhem. I think my ultimate goal is to finish my romantic fanfic and then go back through and edit it to make it just a case fiction, without all of the fluff and smut. My main issue with my story is that I have not had any reliable readers to critique my work. Friends and family are ignorant in either the original story (TV Series) or how to critique writing as a whole. My husband has no interest in my story, but was able to give some feedback in flow and word choices. My mother read the first 3 chapters but was lost due to her lack of knowledge of the original story. She also, unfortunately, had no insight into grammar/sentence structure/flow.

So, a bit of a background on me: I graduated with a BFA in Creative and Professional Writing (and Minor in Visual Arts) back in 2009. I also have a background in Biology, which is what I intended to major in before switching to English. I never did anything with my degree after school, in fact, I went into retail and then into IT sales, and also Animal Welfare. After moving around the country a bit, my husband and I ended up in AZ where I now work for a wonderful organization (Arizona Humane Society) and I have finally started writing more. I wrote a children's book but have not done anything with it yet because I wanted to create my own illustrations and just never found the full motivation to do so. I am working on it now to help ease my writer's block when I get it.

BTW, I'm a panster, not a planner. Not sure if those are common terms in the writing world, but I heard them once and realized that I do not plan well with writing, but I prefer to write 'by the seat of my pants', as it were.

Anyway, long story short, I'm here to learn and get inspiration, as well as help out wherever I can!

It's lovely to meet you all, it's been YEARS since I used a forum, the last one being a pet owner's forum that was for bird owners (I used to breed pet birds and basically lived on that forum during my college days).

2. SethLoki

SethLoki Retired Autodidact Contributor

Interesting bio. You've got quite the toolbox to make a good job of forthcoming endeavours. :)

SnowWhiteBriBri likes this.
  3. OB2611

OB2611 Member

Hi fellow New Member – Great to meet you. I share you despair in terms of family reads. Mine is that, for some reason I can take hardball critique from other writers but the rule for family members is that it has to be "You are a special snowflake" or I am crushed. (pathetic!!!)
    Warm wishes from Spain via London.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2020
  4. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

Ah, I was wondering why your name seemed familiar to me. You're the 'bullpen' lady! :)

I'm one of the forum Moderators and I want to extend a warm welcome to our forum. You sound like an incredibly interesting person, and it's nice to see such a well-rounded New Member Introduction entry here. I already feel as if I know you a bit. You're a pantser (so am I.) An English major. (So was I ...I have a BA in English from way back in the previous century!) You like animals. So do I. And I like the fact that you seem very dedicated to writing. You will fit in here very well indeed, I'm sure.

Is it the overall stories of Sherlock Holmes that drew you to that subject, or was it the TV series? I'm assuming it's the one with Benedict Cummerbatch and Martin Freeman? I've only seen a couple of episodes (as I don't watch TV at all any more) but it seemed to be a really interesting show. And anything with Martin Freeman in it will certainly get my attention. There are certain roles that seem tailor-made for that guy.

Anyway, let me direct you to a few links that might help you get even more settled here ...if you haven't already checked them out.

New Member Quick Start

Forum Rules

and our contest section.
    https://www.writingforums.org/writing-contests/

We encourage new members to check out our contests. Votes are always very welcome, and it's fun reading the entries and voting for your favourite. Plus it gives you a good indication of what our members write about. You are more than welcome to enter any of them yourself. The entries are submitted anonymously, but after the voting is over we get to see who wrote what. It's a really good place to start your acquaintance with our forum members.

If you encounter any problems getting settled, please don't hesitate to start a conversation with me (click my owl avatar and follow the signs) and I'll do my best to help.

I am really looking forward to seeing you and some sample of your work on the forum threads. So have fun getting to know us, while we get to know you.

Cheers for now,
    Jan

5. SnowWhiteBriBri

SnowWhiteBriBri Member

Haha, that cracks me up! Normally, I'm known for strange things but this one is new :)

The concept of the Sherlock Holmes character always interested me, but the BBC show definitely got my attention. I like anything with the same aspect, including the American TV show Bones and I'm a little hesitant to say, I also like Elementary, the American TV version of the story. I think I just fell in love with the character and wanted more, which is why I chose to write the fanfic. Now that I'm reading the ACD books, I'm even more entrenched.

Thank you for all the info, I have read a bit of the rules and the quick start, which I found in another post :D

And thank you all for the warm welcome!

jannert likes this.
  6. Xoic

Xoic Prognosticator of Arcana Ridiculosum Contributor Blogerator

You have snow in your name, but I wonder if you have any in Arizona? It's damn cold here in Illinois!! No actual snow at the moment, but there's been lots.

On the Sherlock front, I haven't seen any of the shows you mention (like Jan I stopped watching commercial television a few years ago) but I'm a junkie for House (I think it was originally called Dr. House MD or something?) He's a misanthropic genius doctor who specializes in cases that nobody else can figure out (a medical detective in other words), and he loves to badger his only friend Dr Wilson. Sound vaguely familiar? House instead of Holmes, Wilson instead of Watson. Oh, and he plays a Rickenbacker bass and a piano, loves him some jazz and classical, and is addicted to the painkiller Vicodin. He's known for maintaining that "Everybody Lies" and he likes to prove it every chance he gets, and he also likes to test the faith of his religious patients. Was one of my favorite shows toward the end of my TV watching phase.

SnowWhiteBriBri and jannert like this.
  7. Alan Aspie

Alan Aspie Banned Contributor

Sherlock Holmes fans are always welcome.

It's a pity we haven't seen all the British ones here in Finland.

Elementary... Characters and casting are good. Scripts... Well... "The rich guy is a killer. You know from the fact that he's rich. If he's rich he must be dishonest. And if he's dishonest, he must be a killer."

But the characters can often save poor scripts.

British ones use to be well written, well casted, well directed, well... excellent.

8. Wariforever14

Wariforever14 New Member

A fellow Zoni! Welcome :)

Also: BBC Sherlock is fantastic!