1. La_Donna

La_Donna Member

Age of Marriage!!!

Discussion in 'Research' started by La_Donna, Jan 12, 2013.

Okay, I've been trying to find this piece of information EVERYWHERE and I still can't find it!!

What was the legal age of marriage in Nazi Germany, ie. without parents consent, c. 1934-1936?

All I can find is that it was "young" but I cannot find a specific age.

It's really important as the whole plot hinges on the date of marriage, and the couple getting married I want to be between the ages of 16-19, preferably more towards the 16 end of that.

I also don't want the parents consent thing to cause a problem, as their parents disapprove of the marriage, so they need to be older than the age of consent.

Thanks

2. blenderpie

blenderpie Member

All I could find was age of consent (though I did only look for like 5 minutes) which is 14. So, I wouldn't contest if I saw 16 in a novel without parental consent.

Also, my great-grandparents lied about their age on their marriage certificate (they were 17 and said they were 18) and he fought in WWII, so lying might be a feasible option (since the state govt. didn't bother to check up on things).

3. chicagoliz

chicagoliz Contributor Contributor

I agree with blenderpie -- I don't know the age of consent and didn't attempt to look it up. BUT back then, it was much easier to lie about things like one's age. There were many men who lied about their age in order to fight in the war. And in the Third Reich, which placed a huge emphasis on having children for the Fuhrer, I would not expect that they were too stringent on issuing marriage licenses.

4. Scarfe

Scarfe New Member

are you married? did you ask her?

5. Scarfe

Scarfe New Member

oh christ hangon 16 is the answer but for jews in camps it did not matter, happy?

6. chicagoliz

chicagoliz Contributor Contributor

Wow. I am baffled as to what I said that has caused you to be so angry. If you have information that contradicts anything I said, please share it. I would appreciate any enlightenment you can share.

7. live2write

live2write Senior Member

my grandmother says 16 was the european age for adulthood and marriage.

8. Selbbin

Selbbin The Moderating Cat Staff Contributor Contest Winner 2023

I wouldn't bother

9. Scarfe

Scarfe New Member

As far as I can see 21 lowered to 18 in 71.
    #

10. Scarfe

Scarfe New Member

true, but can we put it down to the beer and forget it?

11. JJ_Maxx

JJ_Maxx Banned

Just report the post and ignore, the mods will get it. Yeah I think 14 is the extreme bottom end. I wouldn't doubt 16 or 17 if I read it in a book.

12. Selbbin

So in 1971 the legal age was lowered in Nazi Germany. Fascinating.

13. Scarfe

Scarfe New Member

I am so sorry, I really have no idea, I just do not know what to say

14. Scarfe

Scarfe New Member

I don't know what to say, I didn't make these posts, I know I cannot argue this but...

15. Scarfe

Scarfe New Member

Ok, I do not know what to say, I am sorry everyone, this is insane, I quit, this is mad. Sorry.

16. Macaberz

Macaberz Pay it forward Contributor

Well maybe you should log off then eh? If its your friends or whatever messing around...

17. Selbbin

Anyway, I've been looking but, yeah, no information easily at hand. Your best bet is to contact the history department at a University.

18. Exzalia

Exzalia Banned Contributor

don't worry I belive you, only because the post was out of place and very abrupt. didn't seem like something one would post on purpose

19. Scarfe

Scarfe New Member

Apologies if I annoyed anyone, I had no intention to, not even sure how I did, but sorry.

20. JJ_Maxx

JJ_Maxx Banned

From what I can find, Hitler wanted as many women to have as many children as she could, even to the point where he passed the Law for the Encouragement of Marriage in 1933. Any newlywed couple would get a government loan of about 8 months worth of wages. Depending on how many kids they had, they could have the debt erased. (25% for one kid, 50% for two, etc..)

I think 15-18 is a good range for acceptable marriages.

21. iolair

iolair Active Member

FWIW, After seeing this thread I had a trawl through a few German genealogy pages. The typical age to be married in 1939-1945 seemed to be 19-24 years old, and the youngest I saw was 18. (Not an answer about the law, just a snapshot of what actually happened).

22. La_Donna

La_Donna Member

That's what I suspected - it's not wholly different from the situation in Britain at the time (and Britain is so much easier to research)! I mean the problem I'm coming across is the woman in this relationship (let's call her Zoe) is in love with a Jewish Guy (called Bob) but this other guy (let's call him Fred) is in love with Zoe. Fred blackmails Zoe into going out with him, and then marry him at this young age. She does it to protect Bob, but everyone (her whole family) don't know she loves Bob and assumes she loves Fred, but they are still a bit upset at her marrying that young. So I REALLY need to get the age of marriage right, as she would obviously say "we can't married we are under the age of marriage" to get out of it.