1. Ciara jaramillo

Ciara jaramillo New Member

Tell Me About Your Favorite Stephen King Books

Discussion in 'Book Discussion' started by Ciara jaramillo, Mar 7, 2019.

I have been an avid reader of Stephen King for about a year now and I really enjoy him, I would like to know what you guys like about him and your favorite memories of his books and when you discovered him.

2. EFMingo

EFMingo A Nefarious Flamingo Contributor

I think he's better at short stories than novels. That being said Nightmares and Dreamscapes or The Skeleton Key may be the best bets for his work. The abridged version of the Stand I found alright.

I will have to say for his novels, the body of them are written well, but the endings are almost always badly put together. There are moments in the middle of his novels I think are very well written, but they get lost in the clutter, or are offset negatively by the ending.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2019
  3. Zeppo595

Zeppo595 Member

Carrie is close to being a masterpiece. But he ruins it with the ending.

As EFMingo says, this is a very common theme with King. His set ups are amazing, that's why they make such good movies. And he usually advances the plot well. But his final thirds are always disappointing.

The Stand was great, except ...that ending.

Misery was quite good.

I struggled to find Salem's Lot much more of a chore to get through.

Skeleton Key had some compelling stories for sure.

The Tommyknockers - worth a read if you're interested in how genius can get lost in overwriting and need editing. It has some stunning stuff in it. But it's a total mess. It gave me some hope that this managed to get published at a certain time in my life where I was silly enough to forget that King was a bankable name at this point in his career.

I tried The Shining. And never liking the movie much, I also found the far too dragged out plot a bore in it's novelised form.

Despite not loving it, I have to admit Misery really influenced my writing. I started using the italicised first person in third person narratives after I read that book. Plus, I studied closely how he was able to extend scenes lengthwise from a premise that looked really limiting. I should study more books like this. But I read this one at the beginning of my writing life, and the mood just took me back then in a way it hasn't since.

EFMingo likes this.
  4. Aceldama

Aceldama Active Member

I'm not a fan of horror. I don't like slasher movies. Death metal sounds like garbage to me. Halloween is a joke of a holiday etc.

One day after I had moved to Oklahoma I found a Stephen King book in a box of a bunch of random items. Out of curiosity I started to read and found myself pretty engrossed. I think he has a fantastic way of creating very living characters. I never got to finish it cause it got water logged one day. But I am reading the deadzone right now and again, he's displaying his character building to be second to none.

5. Naomasa298

Naomasa298 Active Member

I read a lot of his earlier work, like Salem's Lot, Carrie, Pet Sematary etc. I stopped though at Misery.

My favourite is Salem's Lot, but that's probably because the film scared the crap out of me when I was about 9. It sill creeps me out now.

OmniTense likes this.
  6. Raven484

Raven484 Contributor Contributor

Salem's Lot was the first book I read outside of school. I read it non-stop for two days. The Talisman was probably my second favorite.

7. OmniTense

OmniTense Member

King's stuff can be really good. But I feel a lot of his fame outweighs his talent. Not that he isn't talented and I can't claim to be able to do what he can with characters; but I've caught him doing the same thing too many times. His short stories are beyond compare, though. They hang with the best short stories in all of horror literature.

If I had to pick a favorite to pick up and read, it'd prolly be the only one that I have a hardback copy of: The Shining. IT is a classic, but it's not one that I've found warrants a second read.

As for short stories:

The Bogeyman,
    Graveyard Shift,
    The Ledge,
    Survivor Type,
    Strawberry Spring,
    Uncle Otto's Truck

The Bogeyman remains one of the most frightening stories I've read in all my life.

-SIN

Seven Crowns likes this.
  8. Not the Territory

Not the Territory New Member

King's best writing, in my personal opinion, is when incipient sadness/loss underlies the immediate conflict.

Lisey's story is damn sad and haunting. It's not hard to see the metaphorical connection to mental illness, which gives some serration to the knife; who doesn't know love someone who's struggling?

Talisman/Black House, Duma Key, and Dreamcatcher are quite good as well, with the latter being on the pulpier end.

The Dark Tower has an underwater lake of this doom throughout, which is probably why it's my favourite book series.

Tommynockers was an oversight. It should not have been published IMO. Unless you can appreciate it in some form meta fashion, in which case it's a bit like Kerouac's Big Sur: "Depression and Mortal Struggle, The Book."

I personally like most of his endings, because while sometimes seen as an unsatisfactory betrayal to the reader, they are always very loyal to the story itself. Specifically, The Stand is a fantastic example of this.

9. Rockatansky

Rockatansky Member

Never read a book, like it watch the movie version.

So maybe red rose, or whichever one had the Haunted Mansion

10. Moon

Moon The Hero Of Bacon Contributor

His short works are best. Night Shift had many good ones.

Longer works....eh.... Salems Lot was good. Should've ended sooner than it did, but that seems to be the norm when it comes to Kings works.

OmniTense likes this.
  11. NobodySpecial

NobodySpecial Contributor Contributor

I'd have to give it a toss up between Apt Pupil and The Ballad of the Flexible Bullet. Of course, I like Doctor Sleep if only for the glaring error he made, proving that even the big names, the ones who can sign a cocktail napkin and have it be a best seller, make mistakes. (And just how vital judicious research can be.)

Last edited: Dec 3, 2019
  12. Richach

Richach Active Member

I have only read The Body / Stand by Me. Rita Heyworth and the Shawshank Redemption. I always avoided reading his books as I thought he just wrote horror. I am continually surprised at how many well know stories he has written. The good thing is that I have plenty more to read.

It is interesting what some of you folks say about the final thirds and endings being weak. I guess when I watched both IT films I found myself thinking the same thing. The two books I have read are both Novellas and I think they were amazing all the way through.

13. Mish

Mish Active Member

The Mist is my all time King favorite. Although it's technically a novella, part of his "Skeleton Crew" collection.

Seven Crowns and EFMingo like this.
  14. EFMingo

EFMingo A Nefarious Flamingo Contributor

I love the open ended finish of that one. I think that one is definitely worthwhile.

Mish likes this.