1. cswillson

cswillson New Member

"Tell me, Honey. Who do you love?" - Frank Sinatra

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by cswillson, Jan 29, 2013.

Does your most interesting, intriguing and dynamic character have to be the protagonist?

I know I left out a comma, but I'd rather confess than try to hide my error.

2. peachalulu

peachalulu Member Reviewer Contributor

Not neccessarily - I always noticed in teen ya series that there were two ways a story
    could go, especially among friends.
    One - the mc had a strong voice everything he/she did was emotional and exciting.
    Two - the mc was laid back and quiet - but watched her/his friend go through the exciting, emotional stuff.

Then there are romances like Jane Eyre where Jane is rather plain, but Mr. Rochester is exciting.

3. cswillson

cswillson New Member

Killer icon.

Thanks. Tens of thousands of words to change, almost in beta mode, if I have to change protagonist, but I'm leaning toward it.

My MC, 'til now, is just a guy going with the flow, but the woman is a piece of work, IYKWIM.

Historical docudrama, if you will, but she has become quite the center of the piece.

4. peachalulu

peachalulu Member Reviewer Contributor

Thanks - I clipped the woman from a vintage lipstick ad.

Depending on the angle you want to go with - you might not have to rewrite. It really depends
    where you want your focus. Either way it will be on the woman - either via a filter - the guy, or specifically
    through her.
    Ever saw the movie Laura? - the hero is a rather dull detective who falls in love with the supposed murder victim - Laura.
    The story has numerous flashbacks and the woman becomes the center of the piece despite not being the mc.

5. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

no comma missing, csw... relax!

6. cswillson

cswillson New Member

I grew up reading James Fenimore Cooper, so I have a problem with commas, and now with leaving them out.

Mark Twain wrote that JFC once had a sentence that was three paragraphs long. That's a hard habit to break.

7. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

and a damn hard sentence to read!

8. NellaFantasia

NellaFantasia Member

There's nothing wrong with creating exciting and intriguing characters that are not your protagonist. If anything, it makes your world that much more enjoyable to read. I think there's a talent in creating good characters the readers can sympathize with when they're only reading about them through another character's perspective. So if this is what you like to do, go for it.

9. cswillson

cswillson New Member

Not necessarily what I want, but she seems to be the dominatrix.

I started from a short story and decided the ending of the novel before I continued, but she took over the middle. Everyone else is just along for the ride.

10. NellaFantasia

NellaFantasia Member

Some characters are annoying that way. I say sit back and see how it works out.

11. cswillson

cswillson New Member

Generally I'm leaned forward with my forearms on the table and my fingers on the mac. But, we'll see how it works out. I know the end, I just have to figure out how she's going to get me there.