Tags:
  1. GuardianWynn

GuardianWynn Contributor Contributor

Terrorist Network

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by GuardianWynn, Oct 28, 2015.

So in my WIP I have a terrorist network.

I never thought about naming it before. But I am realizing that was a mistake. I mean sort of. For my purposes all they are is a terrorist network. A group of villains. But I think a reader is going to want more to grab onto than that.

So I thought maybe you guys could help me brainstorm a name! :D

Some context to them.

They were started by a group of politicians and one elite soldier down on his luck. The politicians provided that soldier with intel and money. He used this to find more like him. More people down on there luck, some soldiers, some not. They built an empire of soldiers. Training those that needed. Everyone taking their role. The politicians are still considered the real bosses as they give information of corruption. The idea being, when someone dodges the law, they see it. They inform the terrorist network and they plan and think of a way to handle it. Usually by killing the man who escaped.

The soldiers mostly believe something like this;
    "We are broken. We accept that. We dedicate the rest of our lives to the sake of the mission. To purify the world and prevent more people from breaking as we have. We are not heroes but as such we are not bond by the heroes code."

So what do you guys think?

@dreamersky1212
    @Jillie415
    @Lady Marmalade

2. NiallRoach

NiallRoach Contributor Contributor

The future planning committee.

3. Robert Musil

Robert Musil Comparativist Contributor

So, they go after people who break the law? They sound more like vigilantes than terrorists, TBH.

It occurs to me that one question to think about is whether this group tries to have a public face, and claim their attacks, or whether they want to keep their existence a secret. If it's the former, they'll want to come up with a name that will help their marketing/branding, if it's the latter they might use a name that is meaningful to them but no one else.

Also, in some cases organizations become better known by a name that the media gives them, that they don't even choose for themselves. This was the case with Takfir wa-l Hijra in Egypt, which just called itself "Society of Muslims" but was labelled differently in the press, and the name stuck.

So, I guess my point is that the name needs to come organically out of the story, and how this organiztion develops/sees itself and how everyone else (who knows about it) also sees it.

Simpson17866 and GuardianWynn like this.
  4. theoriginalmonsterman

theoriginalmonsterman Pickle Contributor

I would love to help, but could you give me the nationality of the terrorist group?

5. GuardianWynn

That is a good question.

Personally, I think they would have a nice. More for moral if nothing else. As for public image. I don't think the could completely hide. So I think they would mix it up. Shout when they can't be invisible, and by having a shouting record, making it easier to be invisible by not shouting when they need to be. If that makes sense?

They don't have a nationality. They grew there members out of finding homeless people they turned into warriors. Race made now difference to them. They are working out of UK area in the story, but that by no means limits there roaster list.

6. wellthatsnice

wellthatsnice Active Member

Couple off the top of my head, hope they help.

The Damaged Good
    - play on the common phrase "damaged goods", and the idea that they are damaged members of society attempting to do the world some good before their time comes.

Guardian Angle's

i 4 i (eye for an eye) -
    common payback/justice saying turn into group name

Simpson17866 and GuardianWynn like this.
  7. Simpson17866

Simpson17866 Contributor Contributor

All terrorists think that's what they're doing. That doesn't stop them from being terrorists themselves.

This is perfect.

GuardianWynn likes this.
  8. GuardianWynn

I like Damaged Good, except it sounds more like a motto than a name.

I dunno, for me? A name needs something you can scream at the top of your lungs! lol. If that makes sense? Thanks for the suggestions though.

9. Simpson17866

Simpson17866 Contributor Contributor

That depends on wether it's supposed to be a secret society or not ;)

10. GuardianWynn

Well, yes and no. Yeah obviously if your secretive you don't run to the field and scream "COBRA!" But even a secret society can scream their name in a private meeting for moral reasons. lol.

Right? lol