That Moment...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Lewdog, Jul 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

TMW a few minutes ago I had an idea for my fantasy's finale that involved my main character (Mishu), a Wild Devonian (basically a nude cat-woman), an army of the undead, and fishers/anglers fighting off a small invading force they spotted coming toward the shorelines, holding them off until the actual navy can come.

TMW I realize how stupid and absurd it is that I literally go forward it to the main Facebook pages of Volition and Saints Row thinking they could use it if they ever decide to make a Saints Row game that makes fun of fantasy tropes.

2. Laurin Kelly

Laurin Kelly Contributor Contributor

TMW you have to get on a plane for a stressful overnight business trip when you'd really rather stay home and write.

3. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

TMW you realise how much interesting stuff has been posted in the lounge over the years. With my ETB head on I'm engaged in pulling the best bits out into resources - its a long job because of having to check every link and such - but there's some really interesting/useful/thought provoking stuff out there

4. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

closely followed by TMW when you realise that in the period 2009 and back there would be lot of useful stuff if most of the links weren't broken

Iain Aschendale likes this.
  5. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

TMW you can feel your brain get deader and deader as you watch disaster coverage on TV:

Erin (news anchor): John, given the record-setting floods in Houston due to Harvey, and the fact that it's still raining and the water is still rising, and that the emergency services are overtaxed, and there's no power or water or working sewers or cell-phone towers in service, and we're already thirty-six hours into this disaster and there's no end in sight, John, how bad is it?

John (correspondent on location in Houston): Erin, it's bad. Really bad.

6. Spencer1990

Spencer1990 Contributor Contributor

What I'm wondering is whether or not the people on the fucking boats who are filming the rescues wouldn't be of better use doing other things, like, you know, helping...instead of filming other people helping.

7. big soft moose

They'd be better off fucking of back to whether they came from leaving their boats to be used by people who know what they are doing... when we had bad flood in somerset a few years back I took a RHIB over to help and the media boats were a total liability - only surpassed by their helicopters which liked to hover right over us blowing water and flood residue all over the place while we were trying to pick residents up from flooded houses, or rescue livestock and what have you. If you've got a cow in your RHIB , and the cow really doesn't want to be there, the last thing you need is a fucking helicopter hovering above you.

8. Stormsong07

Stormsong07 Contributor Contributor

heb.jpg

Catrin Lewis and Cave Troll like this.
  9. HisSweetheart

HisSweetheart Member

The sheriff had gotten arrested for "targeting Latinos" simply because he pulled a Latino over. He's been one of the main ones in his state for sending illegals to jail for being, well, illegal. Well, some liberal who wants all the illegals to stay told Arpaio he couldn't "target Latinos" anymore and then got him arrested for doing his job. Well, thankfully Trump decided that was ridiculous and pardoned Arpaio.

10. big soft moose

From wikipedia (my underlining)

Arpaio styled himself as "America's Toughest Sheriff".[2][3] Starting in 2005, he took an outspoken stance against illegal immigration. In 2010, he became a flashpoint for opposition to Arizona's SB1070 anti-illegal immigrant law, which was largely struck down by the U.S. Supreme Court.[4][5][6][7] Arpaio is also known for his investigation of former U.S. President Barack Obama's birth certificate, and, as of 2016, he continued to claim that it was forged.[8][9]

Arpaio has been accused of various types of police misconduct, including abuse of power; misuse of funds; failure to investigate sex crimes; improper clearance of cases; unlawful enforcement of immigration laws; and election law violations. A Federal court monitor was appointed to oversee his office's operations because of complaints of racial profiling. The U.S. Department of Justice concluded that Arpaio oversaw the worst pattern of racial profiling in U.S. history, and subsequently filed suit against him for unlawful discriminatory police conduct.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Arpaio

Thats a bit more than pulling over a hispanic driver

Shenanigator likes this.
  11. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Telemachus Sneezed
    16uoqn.jpg

Cave Troll, KaTrian and Trish like this.
  12. big soft moose

Hell no, I'm not going in there. Every time I cross that there state line I turn into a raging gobshite ... its like being a Weremoose at fullmoon

Trish and Iain Aschendale like this.
  13. Iain Aschendale

Telemachus Sneezed
    I know the feeling; I end up angry at the people I agree with in there, but that's where political discussions belong.

14. big soft moose

True - but i'm not going to have a political discussion here - numbers wanted to know who sherrif joe is, that link tells him ... no mass debating necessary

Iain Aschendale likes this.
  15. HisSweetheart

HisSweetheart Member

Ok, so Wikipedia says that, but I can go on Wikipedia and edit it to say what I want it to. Did you know public schools don't count Wikipedia as a credible source because it's open for anybody to edit?

Catrin Lewis likes this.
  16. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

PLEASE TAKE ALL POLITICAL DISCUSSIONS TO THE DEBATE ROOM.

Political posts made in this thread may be deleted and their authors issued warning points. We don't want it to come to that.

This has been a good thread. Let's keep it that way.

17. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    TMW you crack a joke about your tire issues on a monthly basis being your
    version of having your period. Though in this context I would not mind
    missing it the rest of the damn year. :D

18. big soft moose

you need a truck dude - there's no way anyone should have this many tire issues

Cave Troll likes this.
  19. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    No, people need to stop losing nails/screws on the road.

20. Earp

Earp Contributor Contributor

TMW, as you're starting to feel like one of the cool kids, your nose is rubbed in the fact that you aren't.

21. Trish

Trish Damned if I do and damned if I don't Contributor

TMW your mother calls you to say that she took a facebook past life test and it said she was a demon. You laugh - a lot - and then realize she's genuinely upset. Then she makes you take the test so it can say you were a demon, but instead it says you were a wolf. She gets more upset, and you wonder if she really is your mom or if you were found on a doorstep or something.

22. Laurin Kelly

TMW the person who was hired instead of you for a supervisory position comes to ask you a question, and in doing so reveals that even after almost one full year on the job he has almost zero understanding of how our facility actually works.

Catrin Lewis and Cave Troll like this.
  23. Iain Aschendale

Telemachus Sneezed
    If you were so inclined, you could, just maybe, have some fun with that, fun that resulted in said supervisor's ignorance being dramatically revealed to their supervisors.

Just sayin'.

24. Laurin Kelly

Picture if you worked at a hamburger factory, and someone stopped by your desk to ask why the teapots we make are always blue, and you’re just staring because we don’t make teapots, we make hamburgers. Yeah, it was kind of like that.

Unfortunately in my company, his manager would just say, "He asked you about teapots! Why are you talking about hamburgers?" They reward idiocy for some bizarre reason. *sigh*

Iain Aschendale and Cave Troll like this.
  25. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

Shit always floats to the top.

Cave Troll likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.