1. OurJud

OurJud Contributor Contributor

That Vs Which

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by OurJud, Sep 17, 2017.

I know this has cropped up dozens of times, but I couldn't find anything in a search. The answers on other sites don't make much sense.

Which is correct, please, and why?

There's been nothing in the news bulletins WHICH interrupted the ads cast over every wall and building in the city.

There's been nothing in the news bulletins THAT interrupted the ads cast over every wall and building in the city.

2. Spencer1990

Spencer1990 Contributor Contributor

Laurus, OurJud and Homer Potvin like this.
  3. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

Laurus, OurJud and Spencer1990 like this.
  4. OurJud

@Spencer1990 and @Homer Potvin - that's the exact site I looked at and I don't understand it.

You say if I can remove the 'that/which' without altering the meaning?

Can you give me an example of a sentence that (which??) uses 'which', where the 'which' could be removed and the sentence still make sense, cos that's the part pecking with my head?

5. Homer Potvin

From the writer's digest article (he says it much better than I can):

Our office, which has two lunchrooms, is located in Cincinnati.
    Our office that has two lunchrooms is located in Cincinnati.

These sentences are not the same. The first sentence tells us that you have just one office, and it’s located in Cincinnati. The clause which has two lunchrooms gives us additional information, but it doesn’t change the meaning of the sentence. Remove the clause and the location of our one office would still be clear: Our office is located in Cincinnati.

The second sentence suggests that we have multiple offices, but the office with two lunchrooms is located in Cincinnati. The phrase that has two lunchrooms is known as a restrictive clause because another part of the sentence (our office) depends on it. You can’t remove that clause without changing the meaning of the sentence.

Personally, I go by feel. "That" should always be the default (I think) unless there's a specific reason to use "which." And if there's a comma before the clause in question (for whatever reason) I know to go with "which," though there are probably exceptions.

Fernando.C and OurJud like this.
  6. OurJud

@Homer Potvin, I get this example, but it's only true because the content between commas becomes a clause. My sentence doesn't include a clause.

7. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

OurJud likes this.
  8. Spencer1990

Spencer1990 Contributor Contributor

If I'm understanding what I've read, then your example is correct with 'that' instead of 'which.' Because there's nothing being modified or added, which would necessitate a 'which.'

OurJud likes this.
  9. Homer Potvin

Which means that you're not offering additional information to the essence of the sentence, so you default to "that." (I think)

There's been nothing in the news bulletins THAT interrupted the ads cast over every wall and building in the city.

As opposed to this:

There's been nothing in the news bulletins, WHICH interrupted the ads cast over every wall and building in the city, to suggest that the zombies had reached the city.

The second example adds a third clause THAT offers additional information.

The second example, WHICH offers additional information, adds a third clause.

jannert and OurJud like this.
  10. Seven Crowns

Seven Crowns Moderator Staff Supporter Contributor Contest Winner 2022

You're asking for a non-restrictive which. Non-restrictive means it's not necessary, so it gets commas that set it aside:

The honey badger, which is really pretty badass, eats a house full of bees. Gross!​

But please keep this in mind: which can be substituted for that in a restrictive clause -- Chicago Manual of Style.
    Meaning, you can't do this (because it's non-restrictive):

The honey badger, that is really pretty badass, eats a house full of bees. Gross!​

But you can do this:

Non-restrictive means it's not necessary, so it gets commas which set it aside.​

It's one of those prescriptivist fake-rules from the 19th century (don't split the infinitive, don't end a sentence with a preposition, don't start with a conjunction, etc.). This one's from the 1850s. It gets ignored a lot. I wish I had the percentages, because they're pretty high. If I remember right, American English swaps it out 20% of the time, and Brit English about 50% (they're practically indifferent to it). So other than that bit about that in the non-restrictive clause, it's not much of a rule.

A day which will live in infamy.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 17, 2017
    OurJud and Homer Potvin like this.
  11. OurJud

I'm still confused, but this sounds better anyway. Mine is a bit of a clumsy run-on sentence.

But please, don't ever put zombies in my stories again :D

jannert likes this.
  12. Homer Potvin

There's been nothing in the news bulletins, WHICH interrupted the ads cast over every wall and building in the city, to suggest that the bisexual, nymphomaniac sirens were in any danger of returning home soon.

jannert and OurJud like this.
  13. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

Everybody has at least one bugbear grammar issue, I reckon, and this is one of mine. I understand the difference between restrictive and non-restrictive clauses. What I keep forgetting is which one uses 'which' and which one uses 'that.' I have to keep looking it up. Keeps me humble? More like 'makes me mumble.' :wtf: