The 80's

Discussion in 'Research' started by Corleone, Apr 3, 2007.

1. Corleone

Corleone New Member

......... (the thing wont let me past all the story in a quote)

Wow, that really was an evil teacher. You'd of thought teachers, of all people, would be paintent and understing and wouldn't let their own personal dislikes for a child interfere with their learning. Just two examples of how wrong you can be.

Haha, I'd strangle her for ya! (my my english teacher while I'm at is who's name, btw is Winton Ankor haha, I'm not kidding!

2. Corleone

Corleone New Member

Haha, don't worry, my mum is on a mission to get the guy sacked! Or at the very least never teaching me again. But, intill then, I'll do as you advise and write about hedge hogs and happy things like rainbows. A bit of drama seems to much for the man.

Thanks, I'll look out for that. Youtube it lol.
    Thats funny because one gangster in my old neighbourhood, not my neighbour but a member of his gang, called himself Antonino Corleone. *cough, Al Pacino fan, cough* It always amused me.

Thats ok, I trust you and my mum trusts me not to give my adress away bla bla bla.

3. Evelyn

Evelyn New Member

rotflmao! :) :) :)
    I've been wondering what the teenagers of now must think of that war ("We came, We shot, We got our @sses handed to us").

Just doing the math:
    WWII ended 17 years before I was born, and my parents were too young to have been very directly involved in it. It was basically history, and already seemed sort of semi-legendary.

But if you were born in '94, that's 19 years after the end of the US in Vietnam. Your mom may even have been to young to know or remember very much about it.

(And, of course, Brits had the privilege of watching the whole thing from a distance - or not watching, if they chose :)

I've posted a question about the first publication rights thing under "General Writing," but I'm also working on a sort of a poem/essay thingo that I'm probably just going to post here regardless - it's likely to be too weird for contests or other sorts of publications anyway :)

Feel free to call me "Aunty Ev" - or not :)

It's perfectly okay to sound your age every once in a while :)
    (Aunty Ev says so ;)

[I'm not supposed to swear when there are kids around, but...]

That rotten son-of-a-b*tch!

He shouldn't even be allowed to teach a *dog* English - or anything else!!!

I think you're right, he is pure evil. Maybe even the anti-Christ himself. (Does his comb-over curl up into little horns over his forehead? Does his B.O. smell like sulphur? By any chance, is your English class held in Room 666? ;)

Hurrah! I'm liking that mum of yours better all the time :)

- Evelyn

4. Evelyn

Evelyn New Member

[duplicate post deleted]

5. Evelyn

Evelyn New Member

She was a piece of work, all right. Although I do have the (albeit rather tarnished when it comes right down to it) silver lining that when I get really frustrated with my crppy tyuping, I can take great joy in blaming it partly on her :)

-Evelyn

6. Evelyn

Evelyn New Member

I thought that might be the case, but what with the world and the internet being what they are, I just wanted to be sure to make the offer.

(Besides, what's the point of being as boring and harmless as I really am if I don't get credit for it? :)

- Evelyn

7. Evelyn

Evelyn New Member

(No, I'm not really doing this all in bits just to get my post numbers up.... :) :) :)

That's quite all right: the story's right here on this thread anyway.
    (Um, sometimes it's better anyway just to quote enough to make it clear which part of a post you're replying to, or just the first and last sentences with and ellipses ("...") in between them to indicate that you've left some parts out. It doesn't matter much for any one post, but if everybody quoted the entire text of every post they replied to, that'd be a lot of text for the server to handle, and we might even start running out of server space after a while.)

There's one other thing about middle school, which is a bit tricky to mention:

In the lower grades, it really doesn't show up very much if a given student has more raw intelligence than his or her teacher: the teacher has all the students pretty well beat on both knowledge and experience (which, while not the same as intelligence per se, can fill in for it pretty well for a time).

But students in middle are starting to catch up to adults in general knowledge and experience, and so the teachers can begin to lose their advantage there.

So sometimes it becomes clear to a middle or high school teacher that Student X or Student Y has more in the pure raw smarts department than the teacher does. There are basically two attitudes for a teacher to take about this:

A) They smile to themselves at having such a bright student, and at the same time breathe a narrow-eyed sigh of apprehension at the fact that the kid's going to be a pain in the neck to teach.
    (It is no fun at all standing up in front of a class having (and losing!) an argument with a student who is running intellectual circles around you:
    Been There, Done That, Did Not Want The T-Shirt :)

2) They see it as a threat to their authority as a teacher and as adult. They mark the student as a smart-aleck and a potential behavioral problem, and ride the kid every chance they get.

And, oddly enough, it's the not-so-excellent teachers, the ones who often wind up in middle school, who most often take the second attitude. (Go figure... :)

If that seems to be the case with any of your teachers, Master W. A. or anyone else, there are basically two courses of action you can take:

The Oh-So-Tempting But WRONG Way:
    Show off how much smarter you are every chance you get. Listen carefully to his lectures so you can trip him up on anything he says that's wrong or even ambiguous. Correct any grammar, punctuation, or spelling mistakes he makes on the blackboard or in hand-outs. Make your attitude in class as insolent as disruptive as possible without actually breaking any rules or doing anything he can write up or punish you for.
    (Been There, Done That, Got A Drawer Full Of The T-Shirts.)

I know that sounds like fun, and at first, it is :). But he's the one assigning the grades and wielding all the other real power, and he can make it a lot less than fun. And once you start playing this game, it's very hard to stop until he's no longer your teacher.

The Hard-As-Steel-Plated-Hell But RIGHT Way:
    Essentially, if there's going to be a mature and reasonable person in this relationship, it has to be you, because it's not going to be him.

But you have to keep that, along with the idea that you're probably smarter than he is, as much of a secret as you can. (You know you're brighter than he is, and that's not gonna change whether anyone else knows it or not :)

Sit quietly in class. Try not to raise your hand much, but answer politely when called upon. If he makes some egregious error you just can't let pass, try to act confused ("Excuse me, Mr. Ankor, but did Shakespeare really write 'From The Passionate Shepherd To His Love'? I thought there was some Christopher Marlowe guy who wrote something like that...?"). Do your work as well, as neatly, and as promptly, as you can; so as not to give him any excuse to come down on you. And pray for the end-of-term to arrive quickly.
    (Been There, Very Nearly Pulled Off Most Of That, Am Damned Proud Of The T-Shirt :)

There's another small advantage to this, in that it's not bad practice for when you're an adult and you're stuck with some petty idiot in a position where he has all the power and you don't (like say, your boss).
    (And if you wind up going into the Secret Service, you'll already be nearly up to speed on the whole keeping-secrets thing :)

Okay, that's enough unsolicited advice from long-winded Auntie Ev :)

- Evelyn

8. sashas

sashas New Member

Evelyn
    That was pretty damn funny..and informative too!

Corleone,
    Watch some 80s movies. Watch 'Grease', "Saturday Night Live' for 80s pop culture. Watch Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure for late 80s catchphrases and slangs.
    Oh, and watch E.T. too

Organized crime? Can't say. Watch The Sporanos for some inside dish.

The music was mostly pathetic. Bon Jovi was GOD. KISS removed their make-up. Ozzy killed his 18 cats. Stayin' Alive was THE anthem.

Watch the Rocky movies too. They give a good feel of the 80s.

And btw, MTV came into existence and destroyed rock n roll forever.