1. Slappydappy

Slappydappy New Member

How does Ryan Gosling's character change in Drive?

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by Slappydappy, Apr 9, 2012.

I found Drive to be very powerful. The alternating moments of ultra-violence and peacefulness. The movie stuck with me for days.

Because of the stoic personality of the main character, his motives and drives seem so hard to pin down. This is why I like the story. Because it's almost like we will never really know or understand the character. But here is my take. It is a story of redemption.

I think deep down inside, the Driver wants to be redeemed. He has lived a life of crime, and done horrible things, and it's been tearing at his conscious for a long time. But he hides it. And finally he has a chance to be a real hero, to save the lives of his neighbors. To help his fellow man.

At the end, he seems as if he doesn't care if he dies. He just wants redemption, no matter the cost.

I haven't read the book, but I plan to.

2. Slappydappy

Slappydappy New Member

Even though no one has replied, I wanted to add something.

Whenever he is in the bar, one of his old crime buddies start talking to him about a job. We see the Driver go into an almost pure rage. This is a sign that he no longer wants to be apart of that life. I guess that is one scene I can remember where he has changed.

3. superpsycho

superpsycho New Member

Haven't even heard of it. But you might get more response if this was in the 'movie,movie,movie' thread.

4. Slappydappy

Slappydappy New Member

Woops, I'll go put it over there.