Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CDRW

CDRW Contributor Contributor

A comparison of photography and writing.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by CDRW, Oct 14, 2009.

I frequent both a writing forum and a photography forum, and I can’t help but notice some things.

Similarities:

Both hobbies are extremely creative, time cheap for those who don’t want to do much, but time intensive for those who want to be professional quality, and attractive for people who want to turn their hobby into their job.

Both hobbies are easy to get into but very difficult to perfect.

For those who want to turn it into a profession, both are very difficult to break into; and both are very unstable, unreliable, low paying (unless you're a big name), stressful jobs.

Differences:

One is a visual medium and one is a written medium.

Writing is more time intensive, but less cost intensive.

Writing is a private activity while a large chunk of photography requires, or at least encourages social interaction.

One keeps you inside while the other kicks you outside.

One requires mechanical skills bordering on engineering in order to perfect, while the other is almost purely cerebral.

Observations:

The photography forums have a larger membership, and a higher percentage of professionals among its membership.

The photography forum membership is more apt to give “how to” tips, while the Writing Forum membership is more apt to give general advice on needed skill sets.

The writing forum membership is more courteous and supporting than the photography forum membership.

Disclaimer: My observations are based mostly off of two specific forums, but I have looked around enough to think that they are representative. I’m sure there are places out there that don’t fit with my observations though.

Question: Why is the atmosphere and disposition of the two different groups so different when there are so many significant similarities?

2. Rei

Rei Contributor Contributor

One requires language, the other doesn't. Although it helps in the learning process, one does not require ANY language for taking pictures, whereas you need to have good language skills to be a writer.

3. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Most forums are pirhana tanks, so I don't think the forum temperament reflects directly on the type of creative art. We are fortunate here in that Daniel established this site with a prime directive of maintaining civility.

With photography, everything comes down to the planning. The execution takes place in a moment, unless you are doing some postprocessing.

With writing, the planning may help, but the execution is where nearly all the work and creativity takes place.

4. Torana

Torana Contributor Contributor

CDRW, I myself have noticed that some of your observations are very similar to the ones I have made with other places I frequent, or used to frequent.

I think that the main reason why the atmosphere is so different, is because each forum has different members. If all the members of this forum, where in fact members of another forum, the atmosphere would be pretty similar. But because the member base is completely different, so is the atmosphere.

You will also find that different photography forums vary in atmosphere and same with animal forums and other writing forums. It all comes down to the member base and how the forums are run. Some places are far too laid back with the rules and what not, other places are far too strict and it is more like boot camp where you are not allowed to have individual thoughts and opinions without being thrown into solitary confinement.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.