1. Infel

Infel Contributor Contributor

Website for Short Stories and Art

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Infel, Feb 28, 2017.

Hey there guys.

I was thinking the other day; I know plenty of websites for online comics. Telling a story through little illustrated squares and dialogue bubbles is pretty common online.

But does anyone know any websites that are like... databases for people's individual worlds? Are there websites where people have just set up a corner for their creations? A personal wikipedia full of whatever they happen to write--or create in general? Maybe there are maps or drawings, stories to accompany them and legends they happen to write in an afternoon. A sort of digital library comprised only of works related to their universe?

Does anyone know of any site like that? Do those kinds of places have a name? I'd love to be directed to some good ones to read.

2. Spencer1990

Spencer1990 Contributor Contributor

I think you've just described a blog.

I'm not really into the whole blog scene, but Tumblr and WordPress seem to be popular ones.

OurJud and Iain Aschendale like this.
  3. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Telemachus Sneezed
    Does Deviantart allow text as well?

Cave Troll and Spencer1990 like this.
  4. Spencer1990

Spencer1990 Contributor Contributor

I believe they do.

Infel likes this.
  5. Infel

Hmm, I know deviantart does allow text, but I was hoping for something different than a blog...

More like, maybe, a personal wikipedia? A website of digital light-novels?

Basically a web-comic, but sans the illustrations and two times the lore.

6. Murray Walker

Murray Walker New Member

Hmmm...not sure if this is helpful but I found a short story site called www.story2script.com. It's a little less commercial than the other sites mentioned.

7. 8Bit Bob

8Bit Bob Here ;) Contributor

I mean you could always just make it yourself! If you're looking to make a wiki I think Wikimedia has open source software that anyone can use. You could also start a Blogspot page or something similar.

You could also take the more time consuming rout and actually just write a webpage of your own and buy a domain to put it on. Although I assume that is more effort then you want to put into something like this :p

8. OurJud

OurJud Contributor Contributor

What is it with all these zombie threads lately?? Must be cos Halloween's on its way!

9. 8Bit Bob

Oh crud, you're right... I really need to check to see if a thread is a necro before I go posting on it :oops::p

10. OurJud

Well I think most of us don't glance much beyond the last post, so seeing that was yesterday I wouldn't say you're to blame :)

8Bit Bob likes this.
  11. 8Bit Bob

You know, while I'm here though, this is an interesting idea. I think it would be cool to have a website and just come up with stories/art/lore/etc. for one central world on it. It's not like many people would see it, but it sounds like a interesting project idea :p

12. OurJud

But it's like @Spencer1990 said 18 months ago :) - we already have them and they're called blogs.

deadrats likes this.
  13. 8Bit Bob

Yeah, that's one way of doing it. I mean you could also use a wiki or something, couldn't you? blog vs. wiki vs. whatever would really only be the method of organizing all the information (if I'm understanding this correctly).

14. Infel

Well, since this thread got resurrected anyway! Thanks you guys for all of your responses!

I actually ended up going the most complicated way and created a website. It's not much now, but it'll grow! Blogs are awesome, but I think the format is a bit more... chronological? Rather than a series of posts, I think a static, navigable website is the best for a sort of...

Gosh, I can't even really describe what I was looking for. The League of Legends "Universe" site does a great job of it: it's just a vault of all of their lore, and character stories, and art, and short stories. It just looks so cool, I'm sure any author would love a room to just throw all of their creations into!

Here's a link to the League page. You'll see what I mean: https://universe.leagueoflegends.com/en_US/

Maybe someone else has done something similar? I'd love to see it!

8Bit Bob likes this.
  15. 8Bit Bob

I see what you mean now. I would consider doing it, but there would be no reason for me to, considering I don't really have an audience for it. If I wanted to write stories and poems that take place in the same world I could just make a folder on my computer and keep them all in there. If I ever started publishing my work and had people who actually read my stuff, then I might consider it ;)

16. Infel

You can do it! I'm sure you've got some things people would be excited to read!

8Bit Bob likes this.
  17. OurJud

Do it. They're useful in that they provide a slight incentive, as well as a simple means of backing-up your work should your PC ever explode.

I have a tumblr for my poems. It's nice when you get a 'like' but I don't kid myself anyone's following it with any real interest.

If you go into these things hoping for a huge following, you're going to get despondent very soon.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2018
    8Bit Bob likes this.
  18. 8Bit Bob

Well, you guys have definitely given me something to think about. Plus I could share it with you guys on here... I'll have to think on this some more ;):p

OurJud likes this.