The Book of Ellid

Discussion in 'Archive' started by Earphone, Jul 26, 2011.

1. Earphone

Earphone Active Member

"I won't ask you to stay, nor accompany me." The monk said softly, his voice nevertheless carrying through the perfectly silent courtyard, "But I ask that you just hear what I have to say... I know that the cure is out there, and I'm sure that we could find it."

"What will we do, Terel leader?" Chan'i asked quietly, as the Faun approached their group.

"We leave, Short-horn." He said briskly, not looking at her. Chan'i's face stung at his remark, but she kept her silence.

Led by Terel, the other Fauns began their departure from the courtyard. One turned back when he noticed the Chan'i hadn't moved.

"Coming, Short-horn?" He asked.

"No..." Chan'i said, hugging herself slightly, and staring at the courtyard. She shook slightly, as she heard the other Fauns continue without another word.

She did a double take at the giant orange frog that was now standing right next to her.

“Pleased to make your acquaintance my dear, the great Archanos would inquire of your name and ancestry.” It said in a pompous voice.

Chan'i was lost for words, and could only stare for some time. "C...Chan'i." She finally managed to say.

2. Earphone

Earphone Active Member

"Through dirt or air, through mud or stone the bravest gnomes will be there." Spoke a Gnome above a boar steed.

"This be a fool's errand me'lad." Grshnel said, as he waddled into the group of Gnomes, many of which were now walking toward the gates of the courtyard, "Stay if you pleases, and more earth for you. I shall not partake in this quest."

"Good king." Qarkar said, bowing as Grshnel walked past, "Might I stay as well?"

"You be a good digger." Grshnel said with a frown, "But if you feels that must must, then stay as well."

"I must." Qarkar said, bowing again. Grshnel shrugged, then with a nod to those remaining he left.

Qarkar moved to the Gnome astride his boar, and pulled a hip flask from his belt, before taking a heavy swig. "Qarkar Tic, and you be?"

3. Forgotten_Memories

Forgotten_Memories Active Member

People were leaving. The fauns had turned away, leaving only the scrawny female behind, but they never liked to meddle in human affairs anyway. The Gnomes had gone too, except a tiny peppering, they had suffered enough from the plague already. Annie had to admit that it didn't seem like the most promising of quests, but then again, things to do with the plague were generally vague at best. There was no response from any of the humans so far, but King Elthidius seemed to be all for it - why else would he have called this meeting? And then there were the elementi. Another had arrived, and they all stood in the courtyard, ready to embark on the mission at any moment.

Annie didn't mind that the instructions had been so vague. The worst that could happen was that everyone got the plague and died, but that was always a possibility. The chance to find a cure was always welcome in Annie's mind, and even if they didn't, she could possibly obtain knowledge and information for her many experiments.

She started to make her way forward, to where the king, monk, and the Elementi stood, as if to signify that she would be staying.

4. Mr Mr

Mr Mr Active Member

Etri watched disapointedly as the other gnomes filed out, led by the so called 'king'. What would people think of gnomes now? That they were cowards now doubt. Well he was not going to be a coward, he would go on the quest. The gnomes had lost enough to the plague and here was a chance to rid the land of it. He was about to head towards the elementi when someone spoke to his side.

"Qarkar Tic, and you be?" Said a chubby gnome swigging from a flask.

"Etri Finjon. I see your one of the few not leaving. Why not?" He asked heading towards the elementi.

5. Earphone

Earphone Active Member

"Etri Finjon. I see your one of the few not leaving. Why not?" The Gnome asked, guiding his steed to where the Elementi stood.

"The plague's gone on long enough, hasn't it?" Qarkar huffed, half jogging to keep up with the inquirer, "A fool's errand be better than none at all, eh?"

Having finished his answer, he broke off, and headed to where the monk stood with the king.

"Qarkar Tic, m'lords." He said, with as close to a bow as he could manage, "I'd like to hear what you have to say, sir monk. Think you any more be stayin'?"

"That's wait I'm waiting for." The monk said sadly, his shoulders slumping slightly as he sighed. He had lost all the previous enthusiasm that he had demonstrated, "I'm sorry, Qarkar was it? I'm afraid I'll have to ask you to wait a bit longer, until everyone has decided and gathered."

"Umph." Qarkar said, waddling to where the few humans that had gathered stood together, "You be comin' or a-goin'? Hurry up, I don't like to be a-waitin'!"

6. Shadow Reeves

Shadow Reeves Active Member

On a plane filled with Motherf**king Snakes.
    Yossel Pickerton

The King was not as impressive as Yossel had hoped. for one he looked old and sick. his words were short and only mildly inspiring which was probably why so many people were leaving, and the Kings own people had not yet answered to the call.
    Yossel stood at the front of the congregation with many of the other Gnomes in order to witness the proceedings.

There was no Fanfare or men of staff in brightly coloured robes to announce the king. there was barely a security detail to stop the crowd rushing towards the king. which did come to yossel's mind. It was the monk who appeared to lead the congregation in the story of the plague.
    "he couldn't lead three sheep" yossel said quietly with a chuckle, but quickly became quiet as other gnomes around him stared.

"Thank you." Arliar said, turning to the diminishing courtyard, "Will any others stay?"

Yossel was not very sure, it did sound like folly to follow a book with no directions to find something that no one knows what it looks like to cure a plague that...that was killing everything.
    and although this thought process had more or less made up his mind, things started to happen in a rather interesting fashion.
    The great trees begun to pull themselves from their roots and walk towards the diminishing party. at this event all stopped in awe to see a mightly tree take a human-ish shape and trundle over towards us. A thrilling shiver of excitement ran down Yossels spine at witnessing this. it would have to be the 6th no no 5th most exciting thing he had ever seen.
    a whisper seemed to drag his attention back towards the king as a man slowly formed FROM NOTHING! it was almost as amazing as the tree man.

"Oh to the gods that listen. This is the bestmostamazingday of my life!" Yossel squeeked not too loudly, but just loud enough for the gods to hear. then ran towards the direction of the tree man, dodging Hoof and foot.

7. Vamp_fan22

Vamp_fan22 New Member

Eli scowled. His head ached and no one seemed to be aware of how much he was putting himself out. He didn't serve this king. He would defend his land but what had this king ever done for him? For his people? Nothing. His family had suffered dreadfully and the king had done nothing. His father had been in poor health when he had died, his mother even more so. "I'll stay" he said softly, still clutching his gold pendant. At least he had the pendant. He didn't feel poor or out of place here wearing something so valuable. He licked his cut lip which was no longer bleeding but throbbed faintly. He just wanted to find a nice inn and sleep in a nice warm bed. How long had it been since he'd had a nice bed to sleep in? Yet he knew he couldn't do that. He was here for a reason.

8. losthawken

losthawken Author J. Aurel Guay Role Play Moderator Contributor

"C...Chan'i."

“Chani, hmmm. Your horns don’t look that short to me, but I guess I’m not a faun,” Tumblefoot tipped his head and eyed her with one bulbous black orb. “I seem to remember a Faun of similar build some years back that went by Cha’noi. Likely a distant aunt of yours no doubt.”

“Cha’noi was a valiant creature, despite her title of ‘No Horn’." Archanos spoke to the frog’s mind.

“Very well, miss Chan’i,” finished Tumblefoot with a bow, “Very nice to meet you and all that.”

The frog waddled away mumbling to himself.

“I will never understand why you persist in associating with these transient mortals Archanos. You need nothing from these creatures to search out the mystery of this plague.”

“That may be true Tumblefoot. But as I have said before, there is much to be learned in the journey, your own journey AND that of others. The greater secret we seek lies among the mortals I am sure of it.” came the calm reply of his master.

The frog was still grumbling as he made his way over to the group of gnomes to finish his appointed task when he nearly bumped into the dark haired, bespectacled human girl. The girl was approaching the group where the monk and other elementi awaited further instruction. It was clear that she was interested in the mission.

“My apologies my dear, my apologies,” he croaked, “If I may, my master has an incomprehensible interest in the names and lineages of mortals far inferior to him. May I ask yours?”
    ---------------------

"Oh to the gods that listen. This is the bestmostamazingday of my life!"

Archanos stared at the little gnome that wore crumpled hat of grass as it ran through the sunlit courtyard. How curious the children of earth could be. The elementi glanced toward its own elders who were busy in discussion. The tree-spirit knew how to be patient.

Returning his attention to the gnome the tall avatar leaned over and stooped, its wooded core and branches groaned and scraped softly as it altered its shape ssuch that it could bring its mask-like face level with that of the approaching gnome. His oval face was not greatly smaller than that of the gnome himself, but the elementi maintained a deep interest in the habits and natures of mortal creatures that was uncommmon to his kind.

9. Earphone

Earphone Active Member

“Very well, miss Chan’i,” The frog said with a bow, “Very nice to meet you and all that.”

He began hobbling away, muttering to himself, and nearly ran into a bespectacled girl. Still unsure of what to do, Chan'i walked slowly to a spot close to the monk, very conscious of the loud sounds her hooves were making. She said nothing, but watched the monk silently. He interested her, and she wanted to hear the rest of his story. Whether she went on the quest or not, she still hadn't decided.

"Hello." The monk said, taking notice of her staring, "I'm Arliar, and yourself? Are you staying?"

"Chan'i." She answered, shrugging slightly.

Arliar smiled faintly, as he turned to gaze at the group that had gathered.

"Thank you for giving this a chance, brave Chan'i." He said, staring distractedly at the Elementi.

Chan'i was glad his attention was averted, as her face turned a brilliant shade of red.

"I think we're ready." Arliar said in a soft unsure voice to the king, who nodded, and beckoned for the remaining humans to approach.

10. Forgotten_Memories

A large frog stumbled into her. A familiar no doubt. Annie had seen it standing by its master - a great plant-like man - while the monk was speaking.

“My apologies my dear, If I may, my master has an incomprehensible interest in the names and lineages of mortals far inferior to him. May I ask yours?”

"Anniette Kaspara," she said, trying to take the last part of the frog's sentence as a joke rather than an insult. Normally, such a remark would have lit her short fuse, but she had much respect for the Elementi. "I come from a long line of noble physicians. Although, I wouldn't call them that." She pushed her spectacles up her nose and kept a straight face. There was no use being coy, here she could be herself for once. "I would much appreciate an introduction with your master, kind sir. And your name is?"

11. losthawken

"Anniette Kaspara, I would much appreciate an introduction with your master, kind sir. And your name is?"

“Kaspara, yes, yes. I am the one called Tumblefoot, if you were not listening earlier,” The spirit-frog glanced toward his master and at the gnome running towards him. Was that the gnome Archanos had wanted? Tumblefoot wasn't sure, but a gnome is a gnome and he declared his objective complete.

He looked back at the dark haired girl and blinked his eyes, which for him looked as though they sunk into his head only to reemerge. “I speak in my master's stead since most of him resides in another realm. But since you so boldly insist on an audience with his greatness, I will oblige. As I said he does have some interest such little ones as yourself.”

Without waiting for a response the frog turned and waddled steadily back to his master.

12. Earphone

Earphone Active Member

Chan'i observed the activity throughout the courtyard. Those that had remained were interacting with each other, though it still seemed there were several undecided; mainly humans.

"I think we're ready." Arliar repeated, louder and more confidently than before, though Chan'i wondered if any in the courtyard heard him. "Pardon me!" Arliar said, even louder, "If everyone could please come closer, I will explain our mission."

A fat gnome came running over from the group of humans, and situated himself in front of the young monk.

"Do ye think that we be enough to complete this mission?" He asked in a deep baritone.

"I do." Arliar said, with a faint smile.

"Are you..." Chan'i muttered softly.

Arliar turned to stare at her expectantly, "Am I...?"

"Are you the only monk that came?" She finished.

A look of deep sorrow entered the young man's face. Silently, he nodded, and turned away from Chan'i.

13. Depressing Jester

Depressing Jester New Member

The lord of storms knelt silently amongst the hectic gathering. For the abruptness of his entrance, for the most part he went unnoticed. He could feel the gaping eyes of the few who took notice, but Ryynevaur paid them little heed. He could hear shouting, words whose tones reflected anger or disappointment. But try as he might they felt so distant, the sounds carrying little meaning to him. Only one voice had such impact to him.

“Your late.”

The words of his Mistress were harsh and cold, the sound seemingly cutting into the very edge of his psyche, telling him far more than the words could.

“My apologizes Mistress. It appears my invitation was delayed.” he said in an almost toneless voice. His stormy turned downwards to the cold stone floor.

“I sent Lyrian for you four night falls past.” came a ghostly voice to the Elementi right. A growing chill crept up his spine as frost bit at his oh-so-human skin. Zin the Hunter perched itself at its master's side. Its canine features pulled into a slight amused snarl. In his mind, Ryynevaur heard the hiss of a serpent backed into a corner. For once, he shared the spirit's discomfort.

The hunter seemed to take a sick enjoyment at his discomfort, its snarl becoming more akin to a grin, revealing rows of ghastly fangs. “The other was not so difficult a contact.” it spoke, motioning its head behind him. Ryynevaur had no need to avert his eyes, for he had felt the aura of Archanos as soon as he had reached this place. His involvement did not surprise Ryynevaur, the master of nature was often taking part in the affairs of mortals. The storm Elementi had some respect for his kin though, Archanos's power was not something to question, his bond with nature was great, a sense of unity that dwarfed even Ryynevaur's bond. Such a power demanded respect.

“Ah, I see our good friend Ryynevaur has arrived.” came a bloated voice to his thoughts. If there was something to dislike of the nature Elementi, Tumblefoot was easily it. He could feel the toad spirit's approach, readying to unleash a slew of idle boasts no doubt. Through his connection to his own familiar, he felt Quetzanctil's own ire. He could see the serpent angrily licking at its fangs, its body coiling tight. Before he could reprimand the spirit, he could feel a voice a calm as the summer wind lace through the air. The toad grimaced visibly before tottering back to its master. Ryynevaur gave another rare smile that day.

“As I was saying...” continued the spirit, drawing back his attention. Ryynevaur turned his gaze towards Ireil, who was content to let her familiar speak for her. Such a shame.

“Your very lucky we didn't just lock you away with the other Lords of the Four Winds, Ryynevaur of the West.”

Outrage flashed through out the Elementi's cool exterior. A wave of rage and revulsion that utterly consumed his psyche. Subconsciously he felt sparks of energy arc from his body. He felt Quetzanctil's voice slithering through out his mind, and for one brief instant, they wanted the same thing.

Suddenly it all stopped. A gauntlet rose from the ground beneath the Ryynevaur, clutching the Elementi in an unbreakable grip. He thrashed violently, but his efforts were for vain. The serpent hissed spitefully, ready to strike out at anything threatening its uncaring master.

“Watch your temper, youngling.” said Ireil. The full force of the command splashing over Ryynevaur, still desperately struggling within the stone fist.

“I do not expect you to understand, child of the West Winds. But I also will not have you questioning me either.” she said in a tone that implied there would be no debate.

“But...why?”

She turned away from him for a moment, casting her ebony eyes over the motley assembly that littered the courtyard. Without looking to him she spoke.

“This plague has changed everything.” she began, a slight trace of despair on her words. “The elements themselves suffer under its wake. It is something completely alien to this world, it is something wrong.”

She turned back towards him, eyes glittering with resolve. “You will accompany these people, along with Archanos. And you will stop whatever the source of this wrongness.”

With a look of resentment, the storm elementi nodded. At the act he felt the stone hand release him, slowly seeping back into the ground.

“You were always so hard to find Ryynevaur, even more so than the other winds. I am glad that your friend was able...”

“It is not my friend, Mistress. Not anymore.”

She nodded slightly at the information, but the oldest of the Elementi was far from empathetic. She cared for few things beyond her mountain.

“But why lock away my brethren? Why strip them of the sky? They will surely die if locked away too long.”

“Consider the second question to be encouragement to see to it this quest is completed quickly.” she said as she walked closer to him, offering a hand to help him up. Ryynevaur refused it.

“And to the first...?” he asked.

The queen of the Elementi smiled at him. “Plague travels fastest on the wind....”

14. Earphone

Earphone Active Member

Arliar waited patiently for all to approach, and he pulled several rolls of parchment from his satchel. He would be more organized this time, he didn't want more to leave.

"Again." He said distractedly as the others approached, feverishly unfolding a map across the stone, "Thank you to all who chose to stay."

Begin human, I grow weary of this ceaseless pleasantry.

Arliar paled slightly at the wolf's words, and began flipping through the book of Ellid's pages. "We monks of the Ternus monastery have dedicated our lives to the research of this book." He began, "We examined words, phrases, anything for a clue to what the text at the beginning might mean." He turned to the first page, and pointed at the short message.

"Then we noticed something. Everywhere else in this book when they describe a place of rest or aid, they refer to it as a 'House of Ternus'." He flipped to another page in the book, "'Ave'ly built for all a House of Ternus.' Ellid doesn't describe these buildings in any way, only referring to them as 'Houses'. In only one other verse in this book does he mention a sanctuary." Arliar flipped through the book, all too aware of the eyes upon him.

"Here!" He said triumphantly, pointing to the untranslated text, not realizing that none of the others could read it, "Remu's servants shall force upon many the will of their master. In the forgotten lands, only in the sanctuary shall Ternus' followers find peace."

"It's referring to the great prosecution." Arliar said, unrolling several texts in his hands, "When the king Thal'thadine tried to convert the nations to Remu, the 'god of mercy' by force. How ironic." Arliar paused to chuckle slightly, "When his forces began moving through the kingdom, a group of Ternus' followers fled to the hills to the North-East." He circled a general area on the map, "There they built a hidden monastery, or 'sanctuary', and there they hid Ternus' followers from the king. No one knows exactly where the monastery lies, because we only know about it from letters sent by the monks there to the churches of Ternus across the land. They described a large stone temple, and they mentioned a race that had previously been unrecorded. Soon after, the plague broke out, and no one has heard from the monastery since."

Arliar stopped, and waited for any questions. Everyone remained silent. "I'm sure that this monastery is to what the text refers. Two key verses mentioning a beacon of hope."

"And also some forgotten what'sit's." Spoke Qarkar, "What do we knows about them?"

"Nothing, other than what was said in the letters." Arliar admitted, "They were never given a proper description."

"Be that all we have to go on then?" Qarkar asked.

Slowly, Arliar nodded.

"That's more than I had hoped for." Spoke the tall monolithic Elementi, "And these two shall accompany you on your journey, Archanos, and Ryynevaur. I myself must ponder your words, and speak to the Aged Elementi for information regarding this forgotten race."

I am glad, that we shall be parting ways with them, they are weak.

"Silence Zin!" For the second time that day, the stones of the courtyard shook, and all fell silent. "Again, I must apologize for the insolence of my counterpart. I must leave now, but I would first like some words in private with the other Elementi."

The large Elementi turned to the other two, "Come!" It commanded, and sunk into the ground. The blue specter wolf turned to grin one last time at the audience, then leaped into the ground after its master.

In the silence following the Elementi's departure, Arliar began packing his satchel with the many parchments. "I suppose now is the time to decide whether or not to go-"

Arliar broke off as an arrow pierced his chest. Several more arrows flew in, slaying the Gnome Yossel, and striking Chan'i in the arm.

Pandemonium broke out, as all turned about, weapons at the ready, trying to find the shooters.

"T-there!" Chan'i screamed, pointing to the guardhouses on either end of the courtyard gates. Upon the roofs of the buildings stood brown robed archers, wielding crossbows.

"I'll get us up there, follow me!" Qarkar boomed, bustling as quickly as he could to the guardhouses, ducking arrows all the way.

"C-Chan'i." Arliar gasped, holding his satchel out, "Take the book, Chan'i! Whatever you do, don't let them have it!"

Letting out a whimper, Chan'i curled down, covering her head with her hands. "I can't, I can't! I want to go home!"

"Take it!" Arliar bellowed, blood flying from his mouth, and his face chalk white, "Make sure you find the monastery!" The monk fell back, dead before his body hit the ground.

15. Earphone

Earphone Active Member

Qarkar ran as fast as his short legs would take him, arrows flying past his face at every moment. He dodged and weaved, as several humans were struck down by the ceaseless rain of arrows, and continued his sprint to the guardhouses, unsure if any were following. How had these people gotten here? How had no one noticed?

When he reached the wall of the left guardhouse, he leaped into the air, and slammed his feet into the ground, causing a ripple in the stone. He began pulling the earth from beneath himself, forming a kind of ramp; which rose slowly until it was directly under the roof ledge. Qarkar pulled his shovel from his pack, and turned to see the rat-faced Gnome from earlier at his side.

"Back to earth we all must fall." Qarkar said, patting the Gnome's back.

"Stand tall, Gnome, and give them hell." The Gnome finished, and the two leaped upon the roof, as the ramp rose to stand even with the ledge.

Qarkar swung his shovel wildly, always keeping one firm foot on the ground to control the stone beneath him. He sent rocks flying around, bashing into the skulls of the enemies. Soon, Qarkar and the other were the only two remaining. Archers always had the disadvantage at close quarters. Qarkar had barely begun saluting his comrade, when the Gnome was struck in the throat by an arrow launched from the opposite tower.

Cursing, Qarkar fell to the stones, and crawled to the ledge for cover. Peering over the edge, he saw the mayhem taking place in the courtyard. Those that hadn't been slain were milling about mindlessly, none more so than the Faun girl, who was ducking behind any cover she could get, be it living or not.

"We needs to get out of here." Qarkar said, an idea forming in his mind. He jumped onto his ramp, and sent it plummeting to the ground below, slowing it down just before impact to avoid injury. He threw open the door to the guardhouse, and beckoned to the others.

"Get yourselves in here!" He shouted. They would need to hurry if this was going to work. He didn't know if more brown robed forces would be coming. The Faun girl shot in, and Qarkar continued waving for the rest, wincing as an arrow glanced his cheek.

16. Mr Mr

Mr Mr Active Member

Panic broke out as arrows started flying. Etri was almost bucked off as an arrow struck Tusk in the rump. He drew his pickaxe and tapped the earth, it leapt up covering him and Tusk like armour. Looking up he spotted one of the archers aiming at two of the other gnomes. A rock went flying off in his direction, but it was too late. The arrow struck the gnome in the throat killing him instantly.

Quarker, the gnome he had met earlier, leapt from the roof. Throwing open the guardhouse he beckoned for others to come over. Etri patted Tusk and they hurtled towards the door, reaching it moment after the faun girl.

In side he let the earth armour fall off and waited for others to enter.

17. losthawken

"Come", called the high elementi.

Tumblefoot looked to his devoted master for direction. The tree figure gave him a nod of affirmation and moved to follow the woman and the blue wolf. He walked on dense root legs that moved more like the flow of a robe than the steps of two separate legs.

The frog followed but stopped short at the sound of a shrill cry. The poor faun girl was terrified out of her wits, holding the sacred book. Beside her on the ground lay the slain body of the monk.

"Master!" Tumblefoot cried after Archanos, who seemed not to have noticed. "The little ones are dying!"

"I am aware Tumblefoot. Ieril commands us." The giant didn't waver from his path.

"But my lord!"

"The strong will survive. You must stay with the book. I will join you soon and we will begin the quest."

Panic gripped the remaining crowd like a viper striking from the shadows. Humans and gnomes fell, and the cries of fear reached up the the sky.

"Yes my lord, of course," The frog bowed his gaze to the ground before the great elementi. "Only... I know that you would that the book remain with those who seek its secrets for good. Of these others we know not."

"You speak wisely Tumblefoot," the great tree dryad paused in its deliberate march. Turning toward the court Archanos raised his hand in a strong sweeping motion toward the sky. Immediately a forest of tall slender trees sprouted up and spread their canopy of leaves over the entire courtyard, blocking the rain of arrows. "See to it that the book escapes. I shall return as I have said."

With that the massive tree spun rapidly and burrowed feet first into the ground after Ieril and her servant.

Tumblefoot looked about the now heavily shaded court. Chani was no where to be seen. The doctor woman with whom he had spoken earlier stood nearby, seemingly looking for direction.

"Daughter of Kaspera! We must find the wood daughter; the short horn! She carries the book and the salvation of all your kinds!"

18. losthawken

Archanos followed the cold hard aura of Iriel through the earth. Under the rocky foundations of the castle he traveled, beyond the warm vibrant meadows beyond and on into dark rocky crags. When he arose out of the earth he found himself on a rocky plan high up on a nearby mountain.

Iriel and Zin stood nearby waiting.

“My Lady, I am pleased that you have chosen to aid the mortals,” The elementi bowed low and stepped forward shedding his dryad exterior and exposing himself as the vestigial spirit he was, a mere glimmer of green light to mortal eyes. The tree that had been his habitation lost much of its human like form, under its own volition it backed away from the two elementi and returned to the earth as it had come.

“The mortals are worth nothing,” Growled the blue wolf.

“On the contrary, Fel-one, if the key to this plague lies within the secrets of their history than creatures so far removed from that past are the least likely of all to discern its secrets.” The brief image of an aged man meditating in a quiet garden bubbled to the surface of Archanos' memory. But as quickly as it appeared it burst back into the sea of thoughts and memories of hundreds of years and experiences that had passed since that time.

“You doubt the might of Iriel and Zin?” The spirit snapped through snarled lips. Its shaggy hackles raised like spikes along its spine.

“It is not a matter of power Zin, but of place. And considering yours I have nothing further to discuss,” at these words the spirit lunged at the Archanos. Despite being a specter in this world the familiar could see the greater part of the elementi in the realm beyond and aimed his teeth accordingly.

“ZIN!” the strong female voice shook the mountain. Immediately the wolf spirit halted. “Control yourself familiar. Elementi do no harm to their own kind; and Archanos has served us well.”

A cringe of guilt, fear, and grief, swept through Archanos like a sudden blast of wind through the treetops. The words 'Elementi do no harm to their own kind' echoed in his mind as he recalled the horrific battle with the lost winds, Ryynevaur's brothers.

The terror of the plague was no more severe than when it infected an elementi. Together with Iriel and a few others he had helped bind the sick, deranged wind-spirits. Though it was his duty as elementi of trees and subduer of the more fundamental elements, it was not a memory that he relished.

But, Archanos had more discipline than to dwell on the past. In the future he saw great prospects for preventing more horrific battles between elementi, and not only that, but also the secrets of the realms beyond, “Have you any insights into the lost race of which the mortal book speaks? I have seen such signs written in the memories of the trees but have never encountered such a thing.”

19. Earphone

Earphone Active Member

The Courtyard

The milling crowds within the courtyard suddenly found the rain of arrows interrupted by a canopy of thick leaves. Three humans had been slain by the hail, and five Gnomes; and many more were injured.

Qarkar eyed the aftermath, running a hand through his beard. He didn't know how long this brief respite would last. They needed to hurry.

"Over here!" He called, beckoning once again for the others to come. He wasn't going to wait much longer.

He turned to examine the Gnome and Faun girl who had entered. The Gnome Etri, who he had spoken to earlier, had dismounted his boar steed, and pulling an arrow from it, speaking soothingly as he did so. The boar squealed, and kicked its legs, but remained in its spot. The Faun girl was cowering low against the walls, her arms covering her face, and the monk's satchel hanging from her hands.

"Etri." Qarkar said, and the Gnome looked up from his task, "Could I ask ye to be digging a hole here?"

"How deep?" Etri asked.

"Under the city." Qarkar answered, "We be needing to escape, and under be as good a place as any. Could ye make it slanted so we won't fall?"

"I suppose." Etri said, and began denting the stone beneath him.

"I'll fill it in once we've all gotten in the hole." Qarkar said, staring at the shaking Faun, "Ye going to be alright, Faun girl?" He asked.

She shook her head slightly, but did not speak.

Qarkar turned to gaze exasperatedly out the guardhouse, "Last chance, hurry!" He called.

-------------------------------------------

Mountains

“Have you any insights into the lost race of which the mortal book speaks? I have seen such signs written in the memories of the trees but have never encountered such a thing.” Archanos inquired.

"Alas, I have no knowledge of this race. I have sent a summons to the Aged Elementi, who have wandered the land with me, long before the humans were born. They will know."

Before Iriel had finished speaking, the mountains began to tremble once more. Streaks of blackness began to float in on the winds, and form themselves into a spiraling shape. Walking out from the black spire, came a brown spirit fox.

Soon after, the snow of the mountains began to fall and melt, gathering around the other Elementi to form an enormous, endlessly running geyser. The sky above was cast into darkness, as a black whale, the size of the mountain itself, materialized; floating above the group below.

Iriel, Queen of the Elementi, bowed to the two before her, "It honors me, that you have met my summons." Zin looked displeased by the presence of the other two, and was staring with what could only be fear at the whale above.

"Why have you called us?" Came a sleek serpentine voice from the black spire, "Surely you do not intend to ask us to join this foolish escapade as well."

"No." Iriel said, "I ask only for information."

"And what could you possibly ask, that you do not know already?" The words came from the geyser, understandable only to the Elementi.

"The human book speaks of an ancient forgotten race. To which race does it refer?"

You were there Iriel, you have seen them, or have you 'forgotten'? Birds for miles around took to the air in fright, as the giant whale chuckled merrily.

"I do not pretend to know, nor remember everything that I have encountered in my time." Iriel said regally, and the whale laughed louder.

They were called the 'Children of the gods', in their existence. The voice came from the brown fox. Mighty creatures, tall and fair. They were vain however, and committed unspeakable crimes against all. Do you remember the Burning of the Sea.

20. Depressing Jester

It is never wise to contain a storm. Such fury, such power, it must have an outlet. There must be release. Never was this more prevalent than in the heart and mind of Ryynevaur the West. Clutched like an infant in a hand of diamond and stone, he trembled. Subconsciously he could feel his shell, his mortal frame, slowly tearing away. The incorporeal essence that was his familiar drifted skillfully through the stone, hovering about him. It seemed to feed off its masters anger, for with each moment its features began to show more and more form. It seemed to become more real.

“My brothers....” came a whisper from his mouth. The world around him began to drift away, his rage heightening his disinterest for it all. Very faintly, he could sense conflict circling his frame, screams of both pain and fury shot their way into his mind, but he pushed them away. Centering himself purely on his own growing passions.

“She stole you from the sky.”

His mind shot through the air around him. Past the courtyard of pale white marble, past the ebony towers and statues of gold. Past the mountains, across the forests and above the seas. In a tongue than none can speak he called for them, whispering their names to the gales and clouds.

“Such absence...”

It came to him softly. Not akin to a whisper on the winds, but of a scream that had been diluted. Pain far beyond the physical shot through the Lord of Storms mind as he chased after the cries. He was blinded, but the air carried his mind's eyes ably. Through cracks in the mountains, through narrow passages of utter blackness. He pushed ever forward, a growing unease of being so far from his element growing within him.

Ryynevaur shuddered when his mind collapsed against the wall. A wall so absolute not even the air itself could pass through. A concept so alien to Ryynevaur that at first he thought himself mad. He collided thrice more against the surface, each time rebuked. A growing rage at such an aberration to all he is was fueled his already blazing fury. To be so contained....The Old One has gone too far.

“Ireal!” he screamed with a voice like thunder across the heavens. A shockwave burst from him as he floated, arms outstretched, before the smoldering crater around him. He trembled slightly at the release, relieved to once more be free. The words of his queen echoed in his head, pulling his thoughts away from the mass destruction his familiar whispered.

“I will find the book.” he said to the sky. “I will free them.”

21. Depressing Jester

It is never wise to contain a storm. Such fury, such power, it must have an outlet. There must be release. Never was this more prevalent than in the heart and mind of Ryynevaur the West. Clutched like an infant in a hand of diamond and stone, he trembled. Subconsciously he could feel his shell, his mortal frame, slowly tearing away. The incorporeal essence that was his familiar drifted skillfully through the stone, hovering about him. It seemed to feed off its masters anger, for with each moment its features began to show more and more form. It seemed to become more real.

“My brothers....” came a whisper from his mouth. The world around him began to drift away, his rage heightening his disinterest for it all. Very faintly, he could sense conflict circling his frame, screams of both pain and fury shot their way into his mind, but he pushed them away. Centering himself purely on his own growing passions.

“She stole you from the sky.”

His mind shot through the air around him. Past the courtyard of pale white marble, past the ebony towers and statues of gold. Past the mountains, across the forests and above the seas. In a tongue than none can speak he called for them, whispering their names to the gales and clouds.

“Such absence...”

It came to him softly. Not akin to a whisper on the winds, but of a scream that had been diluted. Pain far beyond the physical shot through the Lord of Storms mind as he chased after the cries. He was blinded, but the air carried his mind's eyes ably. Through cracks in the mountains, through narrow passages of utter blackness. He pushed ever forward, a growing unease of being so far from his element growing within him.

Ryynevaur shuddered when his mind collapsed against the wall. A wall so absolute not even the air itself could pass through. A concept so alien to Ryynevaur that at first he thought himself mad. He collided thrice more against the surface, each time rebuked. A growing rage at such an aberration to all he is was fueled his already blazing fury. To be so contained....The Old One has gone too far.

“Ireal!” he screamed with a voice like thunder across the heavens. A shockwave burst from him as he floated, arms outstretched, before the smoldering crater around him. He trembled slightly at the release, relieved to once more be free. The words of his queen echoed in his head, pulling his thoughts away from the mass destruction his familiar whispered.

“I will find the book.” he said to the sky. “I will free them.”

22. Forgotten_Memories

A barrage of arrows flew over the wall of the courtyard. One struck the monk, Arliar, in the chest. Annie grabbed hold of the hilt of her blade, attached to her hip, and cursed under her breath - she should not have wore a tight-fitting dress to such an occasion. So much was happening, but Annie kept her eyes fixated on the monk. She made her way over in time to see the monk hand the all-powerful book - probably the reason for this ambush - to one of the fauns.

The faun ran off with a couple of the gnomes, leaving Annie alone with the monk. She quickly knelt next to him, dodging an arrow that nearly struck her in the head. She pulled Arliar up by his shoulders, propping him against her knee, quickly, desperately pulling the robes around his neck apart. She put her hand on his bare flesh, warm but no sign of a pulse. The arrow had struck his heart, and it was all over. Annie cursed once more.

"Last chance, hurry!" called one of the gnomes. It came from the guard house, only mere strides away from where Annie stood now. It appeared that that was their escape route. She quickly dropped the deceased monk and ran towards the others and into the guard house, where the gnomes were busy digging a tunnel. Annie smiled. Magical companions were the best of all.

23. losthawken

The Courtyard
    The human girl ran to the wounded Monk's side as though she didn't hear Tumblefoots plea. The familiar was unaccustomed to being ignored and stood dumbfounded at Anniette's insolence. After finding the mortal to be quite dead, something clearly obvious to Tumblefoot, she ran after Chani into the gnome hole.

“Ah, perhaps she heard me after all,” thought the frog to himself. With his self confidence reassured Tumblefoot plodded his way quickly after Anniette. He felt the occasional tickle of an arrow as it passed through his ethereal body, but this wasn't the time for amusement, there was far too much shouting, running, and dying for that.

Once inside the safety of the gnomes dugout Tumblefoot found two of the little creatures hurriedly digging a tunnel.

“You don't suppose there will be more arrows on the other side of your tunnel here do you? Mustn't be too hasty you know.” Spoke Tumblefoot with an air of importance and wisdom.

The Mountains
    The Burning of the Sea. Archanos stood humbly in the presence of the elder elementi as they spoke of tales burned into legend before this ascension. Another species meant more to Archanos than a lost bit of history, it was another piece to the mystery of teh balance of the universe that he was sure would bring him closer to finding what his elemental ascension had not.

“Could creatures so vain and powerful as you say exist in secret my lords?” Asked the green elementi.

24. Ohlookabirdy!

Ohlookabirdy! New Member

The Black Knight (OOC: ALWAYS TRIUMPHS! A hundred cupcakes to those who understand :D)

The way was shut and barred outside of Seaclaw. Having to leave the Blackstone Citadel through a postern door, tail between his legs and squire at his side, Garth Blackstone was spared the suicidal struggle opening the front gates would have caused amongst the infected. Outside the Citadel, however, the crest of the Blackstones carried even less weight than it had before.

The sight of a nobleman did not normally engender love amongst the lowborn. Still, they would at least welcome his commerce and coin when Garth might stop at market or at a wayfarer's rest. His father's cruelty was nearly as legendery as the family wealth, and if the smallfolk weren't eager for his money, they were pissing themselves in fear of displeasing Lord Blackstone or inconveniencing his son. Garth hated such treatment. He always had. It reminded him too much of the weight his last name carried and not his first. The Blackstones seemed cursed to infamy since the foundation of Seaclaw at the dawning of the human kingdoms.

"You're brooding," Garth's friend and squire, Wolfe, said. "Stop your brooding."

"Why should I?" Garth shrugged, rolling the shield strapped to his back over his shoulder blades. "Everyone we've met hasn't stopped talking about 'Mercy m'lord,' 'apologies m'lord,' 'would you like my daughter for the night, m'lord?'"

"It was sweet of the farmer to offer on her behalf," Wolfe chuckled from atop his gelding. "But even sweeter for you to turn him down."

Garth frowned, though inside he did feel a twinge of joy at the memory. Three nights camped on the road and they finally found a lone farmhold as they crossed the southern fields, seeking to cut their journey's time down after encountering too many wayposts on the road- with too many guards eager for a bribe to speed the wait along. The farm was a large one, probably not legally owned by the family of nine that lived there as it sat in a clearing among the massive hunting preserve of the King's woods. "I did what any noble man would do. Not as my brother or sister would have."

Wolfe smiled, his sandy gold hair bouncing as his gelding trotted up the stone road toward the city of Broan. "That you did, m'lord. But we're no longer in your father's lands. Might be that you could smile some more and let your hair down now that your father isn't around to browbeat you."

"The lowborn say 'When a Blackstone smiles, hide the children.'"

Wolfe sighed and clucked his tongue, shaking his head in dismay. "Then maybe it would be prudent to not be a Blackstone outside of court. There is no law that says you must wear the family crest abroad."

It was Garth's turn to smile. The need to display the Blackstone sigil on the way to court was obvious. The rumors that his father was holed up in the Citadel and plotting rebellion needed to be put to rest for good. Still, Wolfe made a good point as he often did. Garth would be happy the day the man received his knightship. Wolfe might have been lately added to the ranks of pages at court, but at least Garth's father granted him that one request all these years.

The two men fell silent, approaching the outskirts of Broan on their horses as life seemed to go on about them, though hushed and muted. There were more guards walking the streets than Garth would have thought needed under anything but wartime, and he could here the temple bells ringing vigorously in the distance. The plague must have been hitting the city just as terribly as it was Seaclaw. Even the gate guards at the city entrance paid them little mind, their thoughts seemingly elsewhere.

"Something's off," Wolfe said. "It's... too loud for the hour, and too quiet for all the commotion. I can't put it any other way."

"I agree." Garth kicked at the stirrups of his horse, sending it into a faster trot. Wolfe followed suit, quickly taking his place beside his lord. "Come. We'll make for the palace and get the introductions over with, then sniff around the city."

25. Ohlookabirdy!

Ohlookabirdy! New Member

The Black Knight

Making for the palace was much more difficult than Garth had anticipated it would be. What had been a steady stream of peasants and guardsmen milling about inside Broan’s walls and town square was becoming a small stream of people- all of whom were fleeing something or someone. The palace of the King loomed in the distance, the source of the panic in Broan’s people judging from the way they looked at the structure with fear as they stopped to breathe.

“Something is wrong at the palace,” Marcus said, drawing up beside Garth as the two reached the central square of the city. “Has something happened to the king? The plague?”

“Doubtful. The death of the king would make the sycophants at court wet themselves, but the smallfolk would not bat an eye.”

The panic of the streets was too much of a mirror for the city of Seaclaw. As Garth watched peasants and merchants alike running and collapsing into the homes and inns that lined the streets, he could not help but wonder if some demon had finally come to finish what the plague had started. A silly and superstitious thought, he knew. Magic was as dead as the gods. Only parlor tricks and violence had the power to frighten a man, and an entire city could not be cowed without violence.

As if to confirm his suspicions, a trio of guardsmen came loping down the cobbled roads, the middle man supported by the others as a crossbow bolt hung out of his chest. Blood bubbled up from the man’s lips in a froth, dribbling onto the deep blue of his tunic while his would-be saviors tried to drag the man further into the city.

Garth swung his horse into their path, forcing the men to stop.

“What goes on here?”

The three soldiers were momentarily stunned by Garth’s actions, the tallest of them scowling up at the young lord. It might have come to violence as the man reached for his sword, but Garth raised his shield, the white gem of the Blackstone family emblazoned on its black field. For the first time, Garth was thankful for the fear his family name could instill in others.

“Ambush, m’lorship,” the shorter of the guardsmen, a man with a pinched and rat-like face said, still trying to hold up the weight of their dying comrade. “The king is dead! I sawrs it with me own eyes, I did.”

“King ain’t dead,” the taller brute spat. “The monks and priests o’ the city gone mad- going to finish what the plague star’ed and mean t’ kill us all in the name o’ the gods. The king jus’ run away to save ‘is own hide. It’s treachery both ways.”

Garth nodded, his path suddenly illuminating itself.

Ride into the court, sword flashing and cutting down traitors and faithless fanatics before a bolt takes my neck. Aye, that’d be a fitting end. Something to sing about- if the plague leaves any men alive to sing of it. The Fall of Garth Blackstone.

“Get your man to safety, Sarjent,” Garth said to the taller soldier. “My squire and I have ridden past a hundred of your comrades on this street alone. Get as many of them together as you can and march in force back to the castle, before these men can bar the gates against you all. Marcus- get word of this to my father somehow.”

Garth did not wait for the men to acknowledge what he said, nor for Marcus Wolfe to voice his protest. He had worn his mail shirt beneath the family tunic and carried sword and shield into the city. He felt half naked without the plates for his shoulders, hands and helm but it what he had would be enough. The young lord kicked his boots into the flanks of his silver-colored horse, sending the animal into a run and toward the gates of the castle.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Garth! I’ll not be left behind by you!” Marcus shouted after him as his lord rode through the crowd of fleeing peasants, narrowly missing running down a number of them.

“He’s mad, and I ain’t goin’ back there!” The sarjent grumbled, nodding to the second man to resume their trek.

“You are going back,” Marcus said as he dismounted his gelding and unrolled his saddlebags. “And you will be going back with no less than a hundred men at your back to help us save your king and Garth Blackston- or their corpses.”

“What makes you think we’d die like Finny, here?” The rat-like man snarled as he began to lower their now lifeless friend to the street. “King’d sooner piss on us if it meant savin’ himself. You got better to offer?”

“I have the weight of the Blackstone family at my side, in Garth’s name.” Marcus removed a quiver of arrows from his pack, along with a short-bow to go with his wooden shield and sheathed short-sword.

“Piss on the Blackstones!” The larger man laughed and dropped the dead man- Finny- to the ground. “I’ll be dead of plague ‘afore they can find me or Reds here.”

Marcus finally removed two bags from the bottom of the pack and tied them to his belt, then mounted his horse once more. His fingers slipped inside one of the sacks. “I also have the wealth of Blackstone behind me.” A pair of golden Crowns landed at the lifeless feet of Finny. The live guardsmen each picked one of the coins up. Reds bit his on the few teeth left in his mouth, confirming it was real.

“A dozen crowns for you and every armed man who will follow you to the castle, promised in Garnet Blackstone’s name. I expect you to be following behind me quickly.” Marcus kicked his horse, forcing it to follow after his lord and uncaring if the men followed him. If neither fear nor greed could motivate the soldiers of Broan, then the whole kingdom was doomed to fall.

“Garth Blackstone, you won’t go dying on me yet, you brooding bastard.”

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Garth Blackstone balanced his shield against the left flank of his horse while his right clutched the longsword his father had gifted to him. The steel oddly felt cool to the touch as he raced up the street and into sight of the castle gates.

The ramparts and walls were crowded with cowled archers in brown robes firing down into the courtyard. The gates were opened wide, however the robed figures were already crowding the one entrance, having dropped their weapons to try and pull the heavy doors closed and keep the defenders trapped inside.

“Black Stone!” The words of the Blackstones left his lips unbidden as Garth dug his heels into his horse, sword raised and shield level as he raced through the door, running down a pair of the robed men in a crunch of bones. “Black Heart!” The horse rose on its hind legs, kicking and lashing out at the other men as Garth’s sword rose and fell in a mess of blood, gore and screams. “Black Death!”