1. thiefacrobat286

thiefacrobat286 Member

The Catlord's Writing Journal

Discussion in 'Progress Journals' started by thiefacrobat286, Jun 23, 2019.

I've been feeling very much trapped in my own mind recently. I have one main project that's on hold indefinitely while I work on a side project to get my mind off things. Lately I've been feeling very conflicted about my narrative topics, and I keep going over various scenarios in my head--I'm just kind of dumping everything in my side project for now, because I feel utterly toasted with my main project.

This is not gonna be a full disclosure about my life on my first post, however just a few things: I'm 29 and living and home currently and I've been working on my debut novel for several years now; I was learning the ropes during my early 20s and until like last year really, I've finally found my "routine" and "gotten a hang of things". My literary bio rhythm, just w/e.

I don't play video games at all, but I sometimes still watch them for TV viewing purposes. I spend my times instead on MUDs (Multi User Dungeons); which are a lot more Narrativist than graphic MMOs; and likewise tend to be more like Tabletop than Gaming. The reason for this is so I can feel like I'm somewhere else, some fantasy world perhaps, rather than at my desk. They're entirely text based. I can't get into gaming (or even anime really, which I used to completely love) at all anymore. Totally grown out of it. That said, I still like the anime art style, and it did influence me considerably growing up; I'm just saying, for years by now really--more than several--I just can't take it all that seriously anymore. Both gaming and anime, even if they were influential on me back when I was in school.

I actually tried college during my very early 20s and completely sucked and failed at it. I have a bad lifelong relationship with Formal Education; and it's been a habit with me since childhood to kind of just teach myself, and ignore my teachers. Temperamental reasons? Well w/e. That's over now, so who care's I guess. I tried it and learned it's not for everyone the hard way apparently.

My side project is a Sword and Sorcery novel, whereas my main Project is Sword and Sorcery with more pronounced JRPG and Anime influences. This side project is to destress from that debut novel I've been struggling with for several years and haven't gotten the hang of writing until like this year or w/e. One step at a time.

It's kind of like every day I'm tackling a different major piece of the puzzle with whatever literary phase I am going through.

2. thiefacrobat286

thiefacrobat286 Member

Hey lugs, OK, so I've made a considerable amount of changes in my plans since I made my entry journal post.

I've condensed all of the story ideas I've been having these last several years (ages 23-30) into a single 20 chapter narrative. Furthermore, I have 3 other stand alone novel ideas developing in my noggin. It'll be a very considerable time however until they're ripe for writing, most likely not until I've finished my debut book at least.

The Delaigo Chronicles (My debut novel) (Era 5 and Era 6)
    The Perseid Dynasty (Era 2)
    Ultra Fighters (Era 8)
    Legend of the Omnimancer (Era 6)

In case you are wondering what any of this jargon means:

Era 1: Mythic
    Era 2: Hyborean
    Era 3: Classical
    Era 4: Medieval
    Era 5: Clockpunk
    Era 6: Steampunk
    Era 7: Deizelpunk
    Era 8: Cyberpunk

I'm a Fantasy author, and I don't wanna detail settings that are too overtly futuristic. I'm more of a Past-oriented rather than a Future-oriented individual in my worldview and historical outlook, hence my creative writing gravitates very strongly more towards Fantasy as opposed to true Science Fiction. In my worldview Fantasy and Science Fiction are the same literary genre with the pivotal difference just kind of being Fantasy is Science Fiction occurring within the Past whereas Science Fiction is just Fantasy occurring within the Future. When stories get overly Futuristic in their focus, I get really weirded out; whereas Wizards running around slinging fireballs at golems and nomadic swordsman going a yonder hacking of the heads of imps and demons is just totally normal to me; far more so than the formally outfitted dudes piloting spaceships and traversing the stars at light speed or whatever, anyway. That's just who I roll, I suppose.

Anyway, I had no idea how to measure the size of my content when I was developing these ideas, but it was freakishly detailed, and I suppose that's what made it so painful, kind of like pregnancy is supposed to be. I'm drafting my debut novel currently, and it's a lot easier now that I've navigated the scenes--also, I've hacked away some of the excessive plot details; and I've simplified the plot a bit while I'm writing this thing along; it's been a very painful and arduous literary process for me overall, but it's strangely very easy now that all the mental brunt work is over. I don't have a real outline beyond a Table of Contents (Chapter Listing). There are 20 chapters in this novel, and I've named them after very pivotal concepts, scenes, or themes.

I'll begin work on those 3 other novels sometime when this book is through. I'm glad I'm finally making substantial progress. I'll keep you guys up in how the drafting is going, landmarks I make on my Writer's Journey; just whatever, you get the idea.

I've been writing a lot of Poetry these last few months too. Eventually I wanna start producing short stories, but as for now, there is no pressure. Poetry for me is good for for sketching literary concepts. I'm following in the Imageist tradition, albeit with Fantasy Setting material instead of Real Life.

marshipan likes this.