The Celtic Gods

Discussion in 'Role Play' started by gibble410, Aug 24, 2016.

1. Erik-the-Enchanter!

Erik-the-Enchanter! Banned Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Love Poems
    It took Blodeuwedd a moment to realize the fight was over. He was breathing hard and his head jerked around wildly, looking for the next threat. "Are they all perished?" Blodeuwedd growled in a voice that was half animal and half human. Oldowan landed on his shoulder and hooted softly, snuggling his head against Blodeuwedd's. The God of Owls looked at the barn owl with an angry snarl and raised his knife like he was going to kill it, but then he froze and a calm expression came over his face. He shivered and the feathers that had sprouted all over his body retreated under his ruddy brown skin. The last thing to change was his creepy owl eyes: he blinked and they went back to normal.

"I'm sorry, dear friend," Blodeuwedd whispered, stroking Oldowan's soft plumage. "You know I would never hurt you." The owl bobbed its head and then took off, following Gwydion down to the boat. It hooted loudly as if it was telling Blodeuwedd to keep up. Blodeuwedd grinned and rolled his eyes, amused by his favorite owl, but there was still something different about him. A twitchy, desperate anger that is usually only exhibited by people who have been abused.

And even as Blodeuwedd climbed onto the boat, he did not put away his knives. He held them tightly in his hands, so tightly that his knuckles shone white through his skin.

2. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

Aidan wondered why the boat wasn't moving , 'Damn it Gwydion" he thought , "we'll be up to our arse in shadow warriors before much longer , and we can't hold them forever....

3. gibble410

gibble410 Contributor Contributor

Gwydion led the others aboard and then went to her Captain Cabin, where Scrol was waiting. Scrol was a scroll that would show Gwydion anything she asked.

Passing through the bookshelf laden room, she arrived at her desk where she picked up Scrol. "Show me a path to the Church of Ireland." She asked, and the second she finished, ink spread from the very center of the scroll outward, like a spiderweb. Once the map was complete, she set it down, and opened a chest at the foot of the four poster bed.

Immediately, white lights popped out and spread all over the ship, taking up positions as rowers and swashbucklers and masters. Walking to the dining hall, she found that four loafs or bread and a pig were waiting to be eaten. Reaching for sone bread, Gwydion fell onto her loaf as the giant ship lurched into the ocean. They were off!

4. halisme

halisme Contributor Contributor

Corrin was the last on the boat, having jogged from his spot on land. Running felt pointless, they weren't being chased from what he could see, that and he needed to grab the boar meat. He'd hunted it and skinned. He refused to let that effort go to waste. He hoped there was a kitchen somewhere on the boat. It would need cooking, lest it rot and it be wasted. Fortunately, it appeared to be the case, and he set about cooking it. He placed his spear and shield to the side as worked, using his flaying knife to cut the meat into strips.

"Anyone have a net, or a rope even?" He asked over his shoulder, before focusing on his work.

5. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

Aidan could feel the saliva running in his mouth at the scent of cooking boar, raw fish hadnt really done it for him, and he cursed silently that he hadn't realised he could have cooked the salmon first.

He joined Corrin in the galley "I have some leather thong, my freind" he said unwinding it from his waist , "don't worry , weeks have passed since I last garrotted a troll, and I clean it after each use... you have to, as the blood stench alerts them otherwise."

Last edited: Sep 1, 2016
  6. I.A. By the Barn

I.A. By the Barn A very lost time traveller Contributor

Caer also went to the gallery, the snake pulling her that way. Her feet ached, brusied and cut from many journeys. The pain was keeping her awake though, fighting against the roll of waves that sent her to sleep to easily.
    Corrin was there with Aidan, but she mainly focused on Corrin. He seemed full of secrets. Caer glided her hands over the shield and spear, well used. Many dreams and lives had ended on that spear. But did he enjoy it? Did he have cares?
    She fell down with a clatter, the shield falling with her. Caer grabbed her feet instantly, trying to hide them from the men and blushed.

7. halisme

"I apologise, but neither are quite suited to my purpose. My plan was to hang it off the side and use it to gather some salt. Could cure it so it would last longer." He finished, flipping the strips over so they'd cook a little more evenly. "This amount of meat'd probably rot before it could all be eaten."

It was then that he noticed Caer. He tilted his head to the side, looking a little concerned and offering her a hand. "Might I ask why you were touching my belongings?"

8. Domino355

Domino355 Senior Member

Faer stepped on the ship, taking in the smell of cooked meat. His mouth watered and he forgot how hungry he was. Aidan and Corrin were fussing with the dead boar, seemed like they didn't beed help.
    Faer went over to the dining hall, took a slice of cooked pig, and began eating.

9. I.A. By the Barn

Caer took Corrin's hand and it took all of her control not to smile.
    She did not answer and instead asked another question, "Do they mean a lot to you?"

10. Erik-the-Enchanter!

Love Poems
    Blodeuwedd tore the bread into pieces and put them on a plate. "Not in the mood for meat," he grumbled to himself. Even though the shadows had been insubstantial wraiths, Blodeuwedd couldn't eat meat for days after a battle. With blood spurting everywhere and all that, it disgusted him deeply.

He peaked around discreetly. No one else seemed to have a problem with eating meat. No one else seemed to have any kind of problems at all. It seemed like they were all seasoned warriors, accustomed to battle and the horrors it bred. Blodeuwedd was probably older than all of them, but he abhorred violence of any kind. He wondered what was wrong with him, but then he thought, Maybe they're the ones with the problem.

"So, Gwydion," Blodeuwedd asked the goddess between bites of bread. "Do you have any idea what might have happened to the Big Three? I'm sure you have one or two theories." Oldowan hopped onto the table and pecked at the meat. Blodeuwedd ripped off a strip and laid it the side for him to eat. Then he turned to Gwydion and waited patiently for her reply.

11. halisme

He pulled her back onto her foot, before taking his hand back and focusing on the meat. "That's my third shield this year, so no. The spears a tool like any other. Had it longer, but if it needs replacing I would." He answered, before looking around for anything he could use to flavour the meat. "Anyone have a bucket?"

12. gibble410

Tearing little pieces off her bread loaf, she studied Bloduwedd and Faer closely. After swallowing the rest of the bread, she fiddled with her fingers as Slì teleported around the room. "Well...." She said slowly, "I know a god must have taken them. Or...Gods."

"I believe that they were attacked because they had the three stones, they power that the stones contain is enough to even erase a god. I think they are trying to dispel the world into darkness with the stones." Gwydion walked over to Slì who was atop an empty torch bracket. After picking him up and heading to the table, she continued.

"Cailleach is the god I suspect, the god of plague and disease, and of course shadows." She said while rolling Slì onto his back and tickling his belly softly, "Do you guys have any views?"

13. I.A. By the Barn

Caer nodded in thanks to Corrin but gave a small frown at the weapons. She went over to the table and found Gwydion talking about Cailleach.
    "I like shadows, they send people to sleep," she said looking at Corrin. And they keep me awake. "But yes, it is a possibility." She paused again, looking down. She was unsure whether she should admit her true thoughts on him. "He is quite funny sometimes. His diseases make me induce some of the best dreams."
    Caer raised her eyes with a smile.

14. zoupskim

zoupskim Contributor Contributor

Ben settled close to the fire, cloak around him, sword setting on his lap beneath. The smell reminded him of home, a pleasant memory. The company reminded him of the past, setting him on guard. The cruel irony of the gods did not fail his notice. Despite all he had done to escape, he was now called to a company of warriors on their way to fight in a war he did not understand. Was this all he was good for? Wreched past, insufferable future, sword sharp, mind on edge.

Was he always here?

Gwydion's question worried him, and he shook his head. If the gods did not know what was wrong, what chance did he have?

Last edited: Sep 1, 2016
    I.A. By the Barn likes this.
  15. Erik-the-Enchanter!

Love Poems
    Blodeuwedd nodded at Gwydion. "Cailleach is definitely the one who sent those shadow minions," he grumbled. "I never liked Cailleach. I mean, I can understand loving the dark and all that, but I was never into making humans suffer unnecessarily. I've killed a few psychopaths in my heyday, but never just for fun." Blodeuwedd took out one of his daggers and inspected the incredibly sharp blade. "Maybe it's time I dealt with the God of Disease...personally."

Out of the corner of his eye, Blodeuwedd saw Ben settle down and shake his head. He looked at him thoughtfully. "A warrior with a conscience," he said slowly. "A rare combination in these times. Are you a follower of mine? If not, at least tell me you like owls?" Oldowan looked up when he said 'owls' and looked at Ben curiously.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2016
    zoupskim likes this.
  16. big soft moose

Aidan looked at Ben and thought of offering him some words of comfort, but he quailed when he realised there was nothing he could say that would make it better.

Ben was one hell of a warrior he thought, possibly even Aidan's equal with a blade, and that wasn't an accolade he gave lightly, but his skill didn't seem to make him happy. Aidan wondered what it would be like to want anything other than sword joy of a hard fought battle and the exhilaration of being alive afterwards, but he couldn't comprehend it.

Perhaps the only difference between them was that Aidan had embraced his violent nature and let the darkness become a way of life, after all you don't miss, what you've never had. For him to hang up his sword and live a simple life until he was old and feeble and the straw death came to take him was anathema. He'd rather die on his feet, with a sword in his hand and the battle chant of Tarranis in his heart.

He realised that sharing any of this with Ben would only worsen his pain however so he instead turned away and instead went and sat with Faer. " I know you are worried about the churchmen, brother " he said quietly "but fear not I won't let them harm you, or any member of our company , not while I have breath still in my chest "

17. zoupskim

zoupskim Contributor Contributor

"Respect, wise one." Ben had watched the bestial avatars of Blodeuwedd before, perched among the trees and around his forest. Aidan was not so afraid of the deity, so maybe Ben was safe. "My sister loves watching your servants, but I have never prayed to your forms. I apologize." He dared to look up at the god. "How is it you and yours do not know of these attackers? Aren't all the gods peers?" To much? He did not know how to talk to gods. Might as well charge in.

18. gibble410

The Mirage luxuriously sailed around in the vast emptiness of water, about a day away from the destination. The ships main protectors, the lights, circled the ship as if guarding it, ready to attack anyone who dared try and attack. All the action they had seen was maybe a couple of fish, or a shark. This trip would be quiet.

Suddenly, something on the horizon sped into veiw, moving very, very, fast. So fast that the white lights didn't even notice him as he ran accros the water, up the side of the boat, and into the boat.

He sped through the ship, occasionally stopping to look at something. He passed by Corrin, grabbed some of the boar meat, ate it, dropped the bone, and sped away in the time it took Corrin to blink.

Caber, god of speed, had arrived.

19. Erik-the-Enchanter!

Love Poems
    Blodeuwedd grinned when Ben mentioned his sister watching owls, but his entire body stiffened when he asked whether all the gods were peers. "That is a complicated question," he said after a long pause, his body slowly relaxing. "I am somewhat of an outsider among the gods. I haven't spoken to any of them in about ninety years. I did not condone some of their...habits...so I removed myself from their company. Most of them were not sad to see me go. I lived among the humans for a while, imparting sage advice and helping them develop their crude technology, but in the end, they also grew tired of my presence.

"You see...I'm smart, but I'm also a smart-ass," he continued with a wry smile. "Oldowan here--" (he stroked his barn owl) "--is trying to teach me people skills, but I'm afraid I'm a hopeless cause." A note of sadness came into his voice and his smile faded.

When the God of Speed blurred through the ship, taking some meat with him, Blodeuwedd rolled his eyes and frowned in disapproval. "What a show-off," he grumbled darkly. "If he comes back in here, can someone please trip him? I would be eternally grateful."

I.A. By the Barn and gibble410 like this.
  20. Domino355

Domino355 Senior Member

Faer didn't join the conversation. He didn't know much about gods, about their scemes, and ways. Also, he didn't fit with the human warriors, the champions of the gods. Better let the big boys do the planning, he thought.
    He edged slightly, uncomfortably, when Aidan moved over to him. What did that man want? Then Aidan offered him comfort. Faer looked at the bounty hunter sceptically.
    "Why?" he asked. "I know your type of people. Don't mistake, I have killed my share of trolls, but you hunt my kind for money. What makes now any different?"
    Then a flash of white light came, and when it was gone, a piece of boar was taken with it.
    "What in the world was that?" he asked.

21. I.A. By the Barn

Caer's smile widened as she felt the god run by.
    "That was a god, puca," she answered. "And Blodeuwedd is right, he should be tripped."
    The serpent was hissing, wanting to strike at Slì so Caer had to do something. She grabbed the snake as if it were a rope and flung it low but hard, hoping it would catch the god. If it didn't it was no matter. Perhaps this time the snake wouldn't return.

22. halisme

Corrin frowned as the meat was taken. While it was cooked in the technical sense that eating it wouldn't kill you, it was still a little pale to his liking. He flipped the strips over again before moving over to the hide.

He set about puncturing it. Making make small holes and cutting out small squares so that water could pass through. After he'd done what he perceived to be enough, he went to the top deck, giving a nod to the ghostly crew before attaching it and casting it off the side and heading back down. "Next time, wait till everything's full cooked."

23. big soft moose

Aidan frowned at Faers words. " You have to understand my friend, I am not what they " he gestured at the others vaguely "would call a 'good' man , but even 'bad' men have lines they won't cross. Yes, I'm a sell sword, but I'm not a bandit , I won't raid villages, nor kill defenseless women or children. Every one of my hundred kills has had a weapon in their hand, or paw, and my blood on their mind " Aidan paused thinking that the true number was far higher than one hundred, that was when he'd stopped counting, over 2 years past now.

" so yes I've hunted Puca, when I've been paid to, but I don't hate your kind anymore than I hate humans. Boar, Deer, Trolls, Men, Puca, Elves, it makes no difference to me, when I take a master's coin I hunt what he wants me to hunt " Aidan shrugged " But you ? what's different is that you and I have faced dark enemies together, and I can no more turn on a sword-brother than tear out my own heart... I don't ask that you trust me, though that may come in time, but just rest easy that should a churchman try to harm you he'll be choking on his own blood, and dying in a pool of his own piss, in less time than it takes to sing one of their tiresome psalms "

Aidan's hand dropped to his sword hilt as a blur shot through the boat , but it was gone before he could draw his blade. " I have no idea what that was my friend" he said "but be easy, if it meant us harm, we'd all be dead by now"

Last edited: Sep 2, 2016
    I.A. By the Barn likes this.
  24. gibble410

Gwydion sat thoughtfully, while feeding Slì some cheese. What can we expect in the Church? If a stone is actually there......

When Caer threw her snake down, the blur passed through the ship, stumbled over it, and did a quick flip in the air before landing. "Come on Caer! You gotta do better than that!" Caber said with a cheeky grin. He was dressed causally, a white leather tunic, white pants, and two golden armbands on his biceps. The only disable weapon was two small daggers in a belt holster around his waist.

"Caber," Gwydion said standing up. "Why are you here?"

Caber just smiled at her. "WellIheardaboutaquestandIhadnothingbettertodosoIamgoingtojoin." He said rather fast.

"Fine." Gwydion said, clearly understanding what the speed god had said. "Slì, get me a map please."

A second later, a map appeared in front of Gwydion. She dipped her quill in ink and placed a dot on the map. "Here is where we are," she said while drawing a line, "And I estimate that we have about 18 more hours left. Why don't you guys get some sleep?"

Caber completely ignored Gwydion, and went over to Caer, where he started chatting up a storm about a "prophetic" dream he had last night. "So I like, remembered I could fly, and took off soaring over my forest. I've been trying but for some reason, my flight dosent work. Is that an omen? A soothsayer costs a fortune these days...."

25. Domino355

Domino355 Senior Member

Faer relaxed slightly about what Aidan said. The man was honest, at least, about his intentions. They would never be friends, he knew, but he could fight by that man's side. Maybe honor had it that he should kill the sellsword for the blood of his kind, but Faer was as alien to the honor of the fae as much as the honor of men. He found home with neither of them.
    "Have you also thought that we were brought to this quest by accident, you and I?" he asked.
    Then the speed god returned. He spoke with Gwydion, so fast that Faer couldn't even understand what language the god was speaking. Gwydion's answer though, about getting some sleep sounded good to him. He went to one of the cabins, became a dog, and fell asleep on the floor.