The Celtic Gods

Discussion in 'Role Play' started by gibble410, Aug 24, 2016.

1. gibble410

gibble410 Contributor Contributor

"He probably wants us to remember that no one can beat him," Gwydion said, "My brother was always a show off." After smiling somehwhat, Gwydion replied to Faer. "I'd prefer to remain out of sight until the battle starts. If you remain a secret, that's one more advamtadge we have." She muttered, as if talking to the air.

Then she sat and waited for the others to join them.

2. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

Aidan strolled up to the church doors, trying to remain inconspicuous despite his armour dripping with the rich red blood which was also spattered across his face and arms. he grinned at the others waiting there looking open mouthed at his appearance "Don't worry brothers, the blood isn't mine. So would anyone care to add a long bow to their weaponry ?, I have two here whose owners no longer need them" he cast the two bow staves and quivers full of arrows onto the cobbles with a clatter.

He turned to Bloduewed " Oldowan will be safe to come out now if you wish ", he assured him , " it has been ... explained... to the locals that shooting at defenceless birds is neither kind nor clever "

3. zoupskim

zoupskim Contributor Contributor

Ben was shocked at Aidan's actions. None of the town seemed to notice, yet. Ben had eaten some of his own food on the ship, started to pray to Caer, then remembered she was here. His sword was outside his clothes, bow nocked and hidden beneath the cloak. He'd be ready this time. For man or spirit, he would be ready.

"Aidan, this is too much." He searched Gwydion's face for agreement.

4. halisme

halisme Contributor Contributor

Corrin was surprised no one responded to his statement. He'd just called one of the gods relatively powerless. If that wasn't an insult to one of them he didn't know what was. As he walked around town, shield and bow on his back, spear in hand, he examined the prices of goods, his mind drifting back to his youth for a moment before returning to the present. He continued to scout the area,now examining as much as he could and planning a route in his head in case they needed to make a quick escape. Griff was by his side all the while, clearly happy to be around so many people and to receive a fuss from passersby.

Once he was finished he headed up to the church, spotting Aidan and noting the blood. He felt the urge to cuff him, doubly so upon hearing him speak. "I know this might sound a little peculiar, but how about talking instead of violence. Does the world wonders. Not to mention I'd hardly call an owl defenseless. Nor are longbows particularly accurate."

5. Erik-the-Enchanter!

Erik-the-Enchanter! Banned Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Love Poems
    Blodeuwedd looked down his nose at Corrin. This mortal was getting on his nerves. But what did he expect from a brute that lugs the carcass of a dead boar to their first meeting? I mean, seriously. Dramatic much? Why didn't the fool just eat before he left to follow the medallion? Some people just couldn't resist the dramatic entrance, covered in blood and whatnot. Just look at Caber, speeding around like a damn fool, without any care that someone will notice. Gwydion might be annoying, but at least she was wise enough not to flaunt her godhood. Her brother, on the other hand, needed a good slap upside the head.

Is this really about Caber's behavior? Blodeuwedd thought to himself. Or are you just jealous that Caber is faster than you are? He can zip around anywhere he likes, while you can only move at super-speed from one spot to another spot, and you have to see where you're going, unlike Caber. The God of Owls' nose wrinkled at the thought that he could be jealous of that idiot. He shook his head and tried to distract himself by talking to the others.

"Aidan, your actions were extreme," he told the bloodied warrior. "Hopefully, they won't attract unwanted attention, from humans or from wondering beasts that scent the stench of blood on you. I thought you were wiser than this." Then he lifted his head and, from far away, a shadow came rushing out of the sky and pulled up at the last minute, swooping to land on his outstretched arm. Oldowan hooted in greeting and rubbed his head against Blodeuwedd's temple.

"As for you, Corrin," Blodeuwedd said, turning to the upstart hunter. "Insulting a god is never wise. You might end up as a common housefly for the rest of your miserable life."

6. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

"Talking " Aidan snarled back at Corinn" Talking ? What are you a milksop or a warrior ? , you heard the goddess , we're expecting a battle here, not a bunch of old women gossiping in the market place... when the dark forces come boiling up against us would you prefer that we meet them with cold steel , or maybe we should try to 'understand' them ? , may be remember they have rights too ? May be offer to break bread with them ? , I'm sure they'll be most welcoming of that , right before they spear your soul across the bridge of swords."

Aidan spat onto the ground at Corrin's feet "that's what I say to talking"

Aidan turned to the others breathing heavilly, knowing that his loss of temper would have caused alarm , forcing himself to be calm he knelt to Blodeuwed and Gwydion "If my actions have offended you God of owls , and Goddess, then I apologise, please understand that the way of the sword is all I know. Fiacre is my brother just as this fellowship " he swept his arm arround the group" are my brothers , when someone threatens my brother he threatens me , and if I am threatened then I respond" Aidan swallowed hard before continuing " as to jeapordising the quest, they won't be missed or found, I dismembered their bodies and dropped them in a midden, - and this blood stench upon me will soon fade as it dries , believe me I have smelt worse "

7. Domino355

Domino355 Senior Member

Faer kept to the shadows, keeping within eyesight of the group. He didn't like what Aidan has done. Not that he cared about those humans. But from experience he knew that acts like this always carry retribution, and when humans took revenge they were as ruthless as any of the Sidhe. Something that the proud warrior had just actually proved.
    Corrin's arrogance angered him as well. The gods were meant to be respected. Their power was unquestioned, even if did not always come to battle. He shook his feline head. He had a bad feeling about the group's fate, and was determined not to fall for it, should things get out of hand. Aidan may have sworn to put his life before Faer's, but he made no such promose back. In this world, he learned, he must care for himself. Always.
    Faer nombly climbed the walls of the church to the high windows, and looked for an opening where he could sneak inside.

8. gibble410

Gwydion stood up and tried to separate everyone. "Killing men was partly unnecessary, but so is insulting a god." She said to Corrine and Aidan. "But we have bigger matters at hand, we have arrived at the church! Can we put our differences aside until we have acquired the stone?" She asked, as she opened the great doors.

Leading the way into the church, she waved a subtle gesture for Faer to follow. The church was huge! Seams of light drifted around as it came through the multi-colured windows. Pews stretched around everywhere, and near the door a giant bell rope hung, waiting to be rung. A grand staircase lead up to a second floor, but the thing that attracted Gwydion was the stone floating above the alter, encased in a blue light. "Let's go!" She whispered!

9. zoupskim

Ben moved in along the back wall. He pulled his bow out from under the furs, looking across the pews and walls for distances. If someone showed themselves who was not one of his comrades, he would shoot first.

10. halisme

"I apologise, master, I insult the unwise and the thoughtless, not the gods as a whole." Corrin spoke to Blodeuwedd, bowing his head for a moment. "All I advocate is that we not cause the locals to turn against us. I've almost been at the end of a pitchfork one too many times in my life already." He murmured as they entered. When he spotted the pews he started to maneuver some on the right side. He pushed alternating ends so that they were in a zig-zagging line, the ends going between two pillars so that anyone who wanted to get to the area he was in would have to leap. While he was working, Griff sat against the wall, keeping watch with his mouth slightly open and a pleased look on his face.

11. Domino355

Domino355 Senior Member

Faer finally found a window slightly open, around the second floor. Better to come inside through here, he thought. In case someone was waiting to surprise the group around.
    He entered through the window and jumped silently to the floor, still meeping to the shadows. He looled around.

12. Erik-the-Enchanter!

Love Poems
    Blodeuwedd did not buy Aidan's apology. The man knew what he had done was wrong, even if he wouldn't admit it. The God of Owls narrowed his eyes and silently turned away. He let Gwydion preach unity and oneness, while he wondered if he would have done what Aidan had done if he was a mere mortal. As a god, he held himself to a higher standard, but if he was human...Blodeuwedd could not say what he would have done. If those men had killed his favorite owl, Oldowan, Blodeuwedd would probably have slaughtered the one who shot the arrow, but would he kill the others? Blodeuwedd sighed.

Once they entered the church, Blodeuwedd stood next to Aidan and whispered, "You did what you thought was right, no one can blame you for that, but I think you need to think about the team. I myself am not used to working with a team, but you make me look like the God of Communication." He laughed at his own joke and wiped away an imaginary tear. "Anyway, just do better. A great warrior tempers his blade with compassion."

That said, Blodeuwedd looked up at the stone and frowned. That light was unnatural. He took out his daggers and threw one of them directly into the light, over the stone, to see what would happen.

13. halisme

Corrin frowned as his patron seemed to totally ignore his words, instead talking to the man covered in blood. What was the point in worshipping a god who paid more attention to those that worshipped others than those who followed him? He rolled his shoulders back, chuckling to himself. None. The boy covered in blood was apparently preferred over himself. Corrin settled against the wall, putting his shield and spear by his side while readying his bow. No, there was no point in following the owl god.

14. gibble410

As the dagger sped towards the light, a bolt of electricity rose up and struck it, turning it to ash. The stones shield seemed to him for a bit, before returning to a somewhat passive lookin state.

"Idiot," a voice sneered behind them. "Only a god can remove the Stone, and penetrate the shield of resistance!"

Gwydion whirled around and spotted Goibhniu, God of Blacksmiths. He wore tall, obsidian armour, and he wielded two iron swords encrusted with gems and other precious materials. A couple of shadows emerged behind him. When he looked at Gwydion, she felt her blood chill.
    "Thank you my dear, for leading me to the Stone, my master will be pleased."

He and the Shadows charged forward, Goibhniu charged straight for Gwydion, and she flicked her wrists. Two daggers appeared in her hands, and as the Shadows raced towards the others, she chard towards Goibhniu. "BLODUWEDD, GET THE STONE," She screeched.

15. big soft moose

"would anyone like to try reason this time ?" Aidan enquired mockingly " or shall we rely once more on throwing our iron about ?"

Ripping his sword out of its scabbard, he screamed an incoherent war cry and threw himself at the nearest shadow warrior.

16. Domino355

Domino355 Senior Member

Faer found the upstairs part of the church empty. He took another look around when he heard the noise from downstairs. His friends were in trouble.
    He reached the ground level. At an altar there was a stone, floating above it.it was being guarded by those shadow creatures. A man in armour appeared to lead them, and he was charging towards Gwydion.
    Faer was still in cat form, and it seemed as if the shafow creatures didn't notice him, just yet. He ran as silent as well, a cat, across the floor until he reached the armoured man. Wolf form wouldn't help him here. At the last moment he changed to human form, striking the man with a spear from behind. He suddenly realised, in horror, that he was attacking a god

17. zoupskim

So long ago, even the most drunken warriors in his clan home had described Goibhniu as a god of mighty, but kind hospitality. His hearth welcome to gods and mortals alike. How evil he seemed, the image Ben had imagined darkened by evil curves and weapons. The artist had become a killer, a real avatar of the shadow around this quest.

Ben sent an arrow at Aidan's opponent, hoping to addle and confuse the creature, setting off balance for an easy kill. As he set his next arrow he glanced at Goibhniu. Faer was already at its back. His next arrow would land on the god.

18. big soft moose

Aidan was momentarily startled as an arrow slammed into his opponent , it crossed his mind that it might have been aimed at him by that hunter until he saw that Ben has loosed it and was redrawing his bow for a second shot. As the shadow warrior staggered back Aidan slashed into it his whirling sword cutting it again and again almost too fast to see or follow. the shadow crumbled away as it unmade itself from the mortal plane.

The second shadow had gone left, maybe Corinn would bore it to death with a treatise on the rights of man ,Aidan thought, but whatever he would have to look after himself , assuming he didn't decide to hide behind Caers skirts like a frightened child of course.

Aidan knew he was being unfair , Corrin had fought bravely in their first battle, it was just that Aidan hated being told that he was wrong, the more so that the man might have a point, he had acted hastily and without thought for the wider mission in killing the bowmen...

Pushing that thought away he watched horrified as Faer attacked the god of the smiths from behind. Realising that he couldn't allow a sword brother to take on a god alone he flung himself forward to aid Faer in the fight

Last edited: Sep 7, 2016
  19. zoupskim

Arrow flew. Shaft Nocked. Ben had never spent arrows in such a way; Three with no harvest to collect, iron spent on death alone. Two warriors, Aidan and Faer, to a single foe would mean sure victory. But, this was a not a man, but a dark god.

His sword was ready. Should the god prove too much, he was ready to charge.

So, he was here. His first 'battle' as the clansmen called it. This was what he had rejected.

20. Erik-the-Enchanter!

Love Poems
    Using his godlike speed, Blodeuwedd ran through all the fighting to the stone, reached out and grabbed it, and then immediately sped to Gwydion's side. One of his daggers was destroyed, but he raised the other one and slashed at Goibhniu's armor with all of his strength. "You are a god!" Blodeuwedd screamed as black feathers prickled through brown skin. "You are a god and you're acting like a mere mortal! We're supposed to be better than them! You're a DISGRACE!"

21. gibble410

Goibhniu charged towards Gwydion,murder in his eyes, but when Faer attacked him, he arched his back, surprised. Turning, he attempted to grab ahold of Faer, but Bens arrow flew through his hand. Letting out a ungodly scream, a Shadow threw itself at Ben, attacking.

When Bloduwedd attacked, he left deep incisors on his armour, but Goibhniu turned around and grabbed his throat. "I act like no mortal," He hissed "I am a god, of forges and blacksmiths, and you God of Owls, are bothering me!" With that, he attempted to smash Blodeuwedd into the ground.

Caber moved with an animal like grace, keeping three Shadows busy at once. He might not a sound as he threw himself around and around, making a vortex for the Shadows.

"Quick!" Gwydion hissed to herself as she worked her magic. "Before Goibhniu notices the stone is gone!" She was waving her hands as if doing a dance, and suddenly the Stone appeared back onto the alter, protective bubble in place. After that, she threw herself towards the nearest Shadow, and weaved around him, penetrating her knives in whenever she got the chance.

22. Domino355

Domino355 Senior Member

Faer felt as if he could kiss his stars goodbye, when an arrow distracted the smith god, and he let go of him. The god then grabbed Blodeuwedd. Attempting to smash the god of owls against the floor. Faer struck with his spear again and again, having lost the element of surprise, desperate to survive.

23. big soft moose

Aidan charged into the fray screaming meaningless words, hoping to distract the god from faer, white fleks of foam spitting from the corners of his mouth as the battle madness seized him. A cut from the god of smith's sword rattled his armour , almost stilling his heart with it ferocity, but in the same instant Aidan's own sword cut into the arm holding Bloduewed allowing the god of owls to drop to the floor.

Rejoicing in this small victory Aidan swivelled on the ball of right foot scything a back cut at Goibhniu's throat, but was shocked at a bejewlled sword flashed across to parry his blade the shock striking sparks and sending his sword sailing out of his hand to clatter against a pew, out of reach

With the horible realisation that the fight had turned against him, Aidan yanked his small eating dagger from its sheath on his belt and dropped into a warriors crouch , holding it low in his left hand. If this was the end, then at least he would make his death one the bards would sing....

Last edited: Sep 8, 2016
  24. I.A. By the Barn

I.A. By the Barn A very lost time traveller Contributor

Caer stood by Corrin, seeing a change within his eyes. The battle did not interest her but she still stood ready with her spear by her side, watching.
    "There is no need to ready your bow, Corrin, " she whispered only to him. "I shall solve this." Caer did not know how, though. She didn't know what he wanted. Right now he wanted this battle to be over, but in the long term, she didn't know.
    The battle wasn't going well for the one called Aidan, but he still didn't interest her. He looked like he was getting some of what he wished for anyway, she smiled to herself.
    Ben, the one to be reclaimed had prayed to her this morning, even though she was no longer his goddess. That was promising. He wanted nightmares removed, and he looked like he was working through a waking one as he prepared himself.
    What shall I do?
    Aidan did look as if he was going to reach his end. Sighing, she tilted her spear and a burst of energy ripped across the battle, slamming straight into Goibhniu.

25. big soft moose

A bright blue flash seared past Aidan and crashed into Goibhniu's armour, knocking him backwards. Aidan felt disorientated, he'd been saying his prayer to Agronna asking for a good death, but now a repreive ?

Instinctively he flung himself towards his sword, roling hard on his shoulder and snatching it from the stone floor with his right hand. Coming swiftly back to his feet he looked about him for threats, seeing Caer's spear still aimed at Goibhniu he brought his sword to his brow in a quick salute "my thanks , Goddess " he shouted over the battle din " I worship only Agronna, but I shall make an offering at your temple when the time allows", he turned away and headed for the shadow warriors facing Ben , let the gods fight the god he thought