1. Opalized

Opalized Member

The Character Names Thread

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by Opalized, Nov 19, 2021.

Thought this would be a useful thread for writers like me who spend hours searching for character names, especially with all the name-related threads on here.

This is a thread where you can talk about pretty much anything regarding character names. You can ask for recommendations, tell others about cool names you found, ask for fact-checking with name meanings, etc.

Enjoy! :superwink:

2. Norah Sterling

Norah Sterling Member

In my WIP, there are different groups of people who can control a different element (earth, fire, air, water - yes like avatar haha, but that's as far as the similarities go!), and the people from each of those communities are named after something related to their element. So people who can control earth have names of flowers, trees, etc. Those characters are probably the easiest ones to name, but I'm getting stuck on what would be some cool sounding fire/air/water names, if anyone has suggestions :bigtongue:

3. QueenOfPlants

QueenOfPlants Definitely a hominid

Fire: Flame, Ember, Ashe, Blaze, Heat, Glow, Inferno, etc.

Air: Zephir, Passat, Blow, Jet, Föhn, Mistral, Sirocco, Breeze, etc.

Water: Dew, Creek, Stream, River, Rain, Mist, Surf, Deluge, etc.

Norah Sterling likes this.
  4. QueenOfPlants

QueenOfPlants Definitely a hominid

I'm struggling to name two characters in a low-priority WIP of mine.
    I have already named nearly all the other important characters in that, so it kind of bugs me that those two are unnamed.

One is a young half-orc, half-human man, a real cutiepie. Likes to paint and write poems and has a boyish charm.
    The human culture in this world is roughly based on Germanic cultures. His parents would probably want to choose a name that would work both for that human culture and for the orc culture in terms of how it sounds.
    I was playing around with names like "Hadebrand" or "Halfdan", but it just sounds weird.

The other is a - also young - wood elf. The wood elves are roughly based on (prehistoric) Sibiric hunter-gatherers. He is a solemn person with a (kind of) noble origin who takes his responsibilities towards his mother and sister, his people and his new wife very seriously.
    His mother and sister are named Orostwi and Estwi, but these are the only two names I have for his culture yet.

Does anybody feel struck by inspiration and has an idea?

evild4ve likes this.
  5. Kehlida

Kehlida Member

Currently Reading::
    The Shining / Carrie by Stephen King
    Helphidor, Hendelphi, Hembrand, Trinden, Telphidor / Telphidori?

Sabrish, Sebreti, Aydres, Neoridel / Neoriden?

Quick-fired all the names out in a minute, hopefully it helped you think of something!

QueenOfPlants likes this.
  6. Kalisto

Kalisto Senior Member

My naming method is so advance. I literally pull out a list near the culture of the particular character, spend all of five minutes looking at it and then just say, "Yeah, that one will work."

Opalized likes this.