1. Mewditto

Mewditto New Member

Is Stephen Kings, "Desperation" OK for a 12 year old boy?

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by Mewditto, Mar 25, 2011.

I want to read one of his books, since I quite like scary horror stuff, although I could never make one myself, but anyway, is it not to inappropriate for me to read? My mom says that she has to check it out first just to make sure, and I really want to get started on reading a book.

2. Arathald

Arathald New Member

I don't think this is the right place to be asking. We're not your parents, and you're going to come across all kind of differing views on this forum. On top of that, we don't know you, and have no idea what kinds of things you might be sensitive to. The issue should be between you and your mom.

A better question would be "what kind of potentially objectionable material does the book have in it?", similar to how movies explain why they are rated PG-13 or R (sexual content, drug use, violence, etc.). This will give you a better idea of what the book is like and if it's appropriate for you.

I also don't think your mom would be too convinced by "hey, mom, a bunch of people on the internet said it was okay".

3. marina

marina Contributor Contributor

If your mom let's you see rated-R movies, she'll be fine with you reading this book. It has a lot of profanity and ridiculously gruesome violence.

4. Tessie

Tessie Contributor Contributor

Yeah, it is your mom's decision. Sorry to sound all authoritive like that, but, you know, we can't just make a poll and say yes or no.

5. Norule

Norule New Member

I would agree that its up to your mom (even though i dont like parental censorship). Though i would say that this particular book is probalby not suited for a twelve year old. Some of Stephen Kings other books sure. But this one (to me atleast) had more description of both gore and violence aswell as sex.

But like everyone said its up to you and your mom.

6. Ellipse

Ellipse Contributor Contributor

And don't look to the movie for guidance either. The movies based on King's books are usually toned down a lot in comparison to the books.

7. Norule

Norule New Member

I havent seen the movie (Is it any good?). I loved the book and while i read it i though this would make a great movie. But when i looked it up i found out it was (like alot of Stephen Kings books) a straight to TV film. With low ratings ( I normally dont care about ratings).

But since i loved the book i didnt want to watch a movie that butchered it. So instead of taking the chance I decided not to watch the movie at all :)

8. Darkjester79

Darkjester79 Member

I would have to agree with everyone of this forum. I'm not your Parent. You would want to ask your mom and maybe see if she is willing to read it first and then have her make the call. Personally, and this is only my opinion, I wouldn't let you read it. It is very descriptive of violence and sex in many places. Being the father of four kids, none of them would be allowed to read it at 12.

9. Malc-Downing

Malc-Downing New Member

The good thing about reading is that you can close the book at anytime. if you find it too scary / graphic, stop reading. I wouldn't read the whole book and then say it was to scary.

And then you have a feel for the book, so you can judge yourself when you are 'ready' to carry on reading.

10. Faust

Faust Active Member

Well having your Mom read it may make you wait longer (And I know the feeling of wanting to tear into a good book) but with Stephen King, and my own experiences speaking here, some of his books start out innocent enough and can quickly grow rather...lewd, for want of a better word.

Having your Mom have the final say might be best, especially since we can't assume your own personal tastes.

11. w176

w176 Contributor Contributor

Sure. You might get scared and you might read about sex, but it wont make you spontaneous self combust into pile of ashes.