Tags:
  1. deadrats

deadrats Contributor Contributor

the climax and the conclusion

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by deadrats, Mar 30, 2019.

How far into your story does the plot peak? I'm making progress with the novel and while tension is building (in quite a mild manner as intended), I'm thinking that the story's climax will come towards the end with the conclusion to come soon after. I think this is typical, no? I'm not quite there yet, but I'm close enough to start thinking about these things. I'm not sure exactly what my climax will be or how the story will end exactly, but structure is something I pay attention to and I feel is one of my strong suits. Can I have both the climax and conclusion in the last chapter or is that too much coming too late? I know there is probably no right answer, but I want to do what most novelist do. I think I could peak the story in the second to last chapter and then still have a final chapter that follows, but I also don't want it to seem like the last chapter was just tacked on for neatness. I don't want every loose end tied up. I could take the last chapter in a completely different direction than it would seem the story is going in. A climax and then an unexpected mind turn of events. I'm just wondering from some of you other writers how you handle the climax and conclusion. How spaced out do you make them? I don't think I am going to need much if any downtime after the climax. Why do I wonder if I'm doing something wrong?

2. TWErvin2

TWErvin2 Contributor Contributor

Often, with my novels, I have the climax, the aftermath/immediate results, and then an epilogue. That's what usually works for me.

Check out books/authors you've enjoyed in the genre you're writing. See how they structured and brought it together at the end. That would probably be your best guide.

3. Dracon

Dracon Contributor Contributor

It depends what you mean by "climax".

I consider there to be two types. One is the traditional climax, the one that we all think of: the moment in which there is a final epic battle, a duel between nemeses, where the villain is finally defeated, and that happens in the penultimate chapter, and then there is a final chapter that is the resolution. I think that is fairly standard. You can find plenty of well-known examples that finish immediately after the villain is defeated - The Final Empire, for example - although it's always felt a little bit odd to me.

However, there are also what you might call "emotional climaxes" - e.g., two characters who have developed their relationship over a long time and finally must go their separate ways - that I think, is very fitting for a final chapter. Because unlike the above, those finals scenes are being used to tie up the remaining threads of the novel and that usually comes in the form of the character arcs and the journeys the MCs have taken.

deadrats likes this.
  4. Fallow

Fallow Banned

I think worrying about where something goes before you know what that something might be is a waste of your time. Figure out your story, then adjust the pace and events for timing.

5. deadrats

I don't preplan my stories. I make them up as I go. But I do think about structure. And as I get closer to the end, I don't see how it hurts to think about these things.

6. Fallow

Fallow Banned

It doesn't hurt to think about anything. But it does hurt to make a round peg fit in a square hole - especially if you have no idea what shape the peg will be. I think imposing vague ideas about structure can only hurt your ability to set your ideas down on the page. That's hard enough without adding an extra, artificial set of requirements on top of simply creating a story and making it sound good.

I'm suggesting your write the very best story you can with the best prose and dialogue, and then figure out if it works for timing after you know what the story is. Chances are, if your story is decent, you will have already solved the structure issue. Good structure is something that has been noted in good stories, not imposed upon them. Use structure as a yardstick, not a carrot.

7. deadrats

Thanks, @Fallow. But I think we just work different ways. I think I'm just working with the best approach that I've found to work for me. It sounds like you've found something that works for you. Different, though. And I'm not looking to change my approach to how I think about structure. I've been an avid reader for long enough that the structure and the pacing of a story seem to be ingrained into me in a way that works. It's just how I see it. What I'm unsure of is how much downtime to give a story before typing the end. But this far in, I'm not going to change the way I'm working. I am thinking of the endgame with this story because it's coming. It really has nothing to do with my approach to writing. I was just wondering how others wrap things up.

8. Flummi

Flummi Member

I guess you'll see once you're done if it feels "rushed" at the end. If not, it's working, if yes, then... you'll know what to do :)
    So far I'm working in a similar way. I know where I want to go but I let the characters do what they want. I do have a loose structure, though.