1. Edward M. Grant

Edward M. Grant Contributor Contributor

Introducing relatives

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by Edward M. Grant, Jul 25, 2014.

This is probably a dumb question, but it's bugging the heck out of me, and I couldn't find any good examples in the books I own to see how other authors did it. I have a couple of places in different stories where the first time the character appears, they're in a scene with their parents. Is there a less naff way of introducing them than just saying 'His father, Bob'? I could introduce the character as his father, and then have someone speak to the father by name, but that's pretty naff too, and unbelievable if only the character and his parents are in the scene. Or there's '"Hey, Dad." "Yes, son?" Bob said', which seems just as bad.

I guess the problem really does only apply to parents, because siblings are likely to call each other by name, whereas kids are unlikely to call their parents by name.

2. Berber

Berber Active Member

First of all, naff is fun word. Thank you for growing my vocabulary.

Second of all, I think you're over thinking it. It's completely natural for a child to call their parent "Dad" or "Mom," so of course you can utilize your dialogue to set up their relationship. It's not trite; it's normal. Is it necessary for us to immediately know that "Dad" is also "Bob?" Probably not, at which point you could more naturally introduce us to the "Bob" side of dad through his interactions with other characters/settings by which he is known by that name (i.e. Mom, work, a neighbor, etc).