1. starset

starset New Member

Writing? Sign me up. Oh wait–

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by starset, Sep 13, 2019.

I already did that myself!

Hey everybody, I'm a writer, and I'm looking to get better at writing. I go by Blu, but also go by Void. Whichever you want to use is up to you. I am only comfortable being referred to with they/them pronouns at the moment, so please keep that in mind; if people slip up I might correct them, but never in an aggressive or angry way. They/them pronouns are not the most commonly used, so I understand mistakes. That said, the way to get better at using anything is practice.

On to writing things. I love fiction, fantasy, and sci-fi, so I'm excited to connect with more people who both write and read those genres. While I have been in the fanfiction community for quite a while, I have not published an original work anywhere, though my hope is that I will become confident enough to change that.

Here's to meeting new people and jumping outside my comfort zone! Cheers.

2. Night Herald

Night Herald The Fool Contributor

Hello, Blu/Void, welcome to the forum. Fantasy and Sci-Fi are my genres as well. I wish you well with your stab at original fiction. Might I ask what you've been writing fanfiction for?

3. starset

starset New Member

Of course you can. I wrote primarily Doctor Who fanfiction when I first started out, but more recently rediscovered my love for the Artemis Fowl series. Lovely books, in my opinion. I'm still going to write about that series for a while to come, given the ongoing stories I've started. Thank you for saying hi!

4. Night Herald

Night Herald The Fool Contributor

Can't say I've more than a passing familiarity with either of those properties. I read a short excerpt of Artemis Fowl back in school, and I've maybe seen two entire episodes of Doctor Who. But I got started in fanfiction myself (Warhammer 40k) and I can certainly see the appeal.

5. starset

starset New Member

I do recommend Artemis Fowl if you like an imaginative blend of science fiction and magic. Though it was certainly written for a younger audience, the books manage to balance humor and drama without losing impact. It also has a narrator style not unlike Lemony Snicket's, though in my opinion it is less intrusive, if you're familiar with A Series of Unfortunate Events and enjoy that kind of thing. The audiobooks are especially fun to put on and enjoy while doing other things – they've made me laugh many times.

6. Some Guy

Some Guy Manguage Langler Supporter Contributor

Welcome!
    As an alien, I do not process many pronouns, mainly nouns for individual items. You will therefore be respectfully addressed as Pronoun, Noun, It, Individual, or People-Thing. o_O
    I look forward to corresponding with you!
    May the Universe open before you. :)

7. starset

starset New Member

Thanks, alien friend. I appreciate it.

Some Guy likes this.
  8. Some Guy

Some Guy Manguage Langler Supporter Contributor

:)