1. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Telemachus Sneezed

The Diet and Exercise Thread

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Iain Aschendale, Feb 4, 2018.

Not to take away from the What are you cooking tonight thread, everybody should still feel free to post over there, even if it's healthy food, but I thought it might be nice to have a place to discuss diet, exercise, weight loss, and all that sort of thing, so post 'em up.

God I hope this thread doesn't end up devolving into a flame war that gets it locked or, even worse, moved to the debate room...

I'll start:

side-shooting-of-man-eating-fast-food-and-exercising-on-treadmill_vyegmlfff__F0000.png

jim onion and CoyoteKing like this.
  2. TheRealStegblob

TheRealStegblob Kill All Mages Contributor

I currently eat a pretty relaxed diet. Primarily small portions of chicken thigh meat with lots of vegetables. I fast daily every Sunday and I occasionally go on days-long fasts (I've gone for a week once, with several 4-5 day long fasts here and there). I really, really love fasting and would recommend it to almost anyone (as long as they do it properly).

Carly Berg likes this.
  3. izzybot

izzybot (unspecified) Contributor

Same.

I'm one-week deep into going to the gym three times a week, hopefully moving up to five times once I'm a bit more in shape. Cardio and weight training. As far as diet ... ehn. I like to think I'm going to the gym primarily so I can keep eating pure trash without, y'know, dying. There's gotta be a balance there.

CoyoteKing and Iain Aschendale like this.
  4. TheRealStegblob

There's not :}

Exercise does very little to counteract a bad diet. You won't even lose weight if you're eating poorly and consuming too many calories.

Dreamer96 and jim onion like this.
  5. izzybot

izzybot (unspecified) Contributor

I'm not really concerned with losing weight. I'm trying to build muscle.

CoyoteKing and Shenanigator like this.
  6. TheRealStegblob

Well then you're fine. Just keep your nutrient intake good, since it will really help you build and maintain muscle.

jim onion likes this.
  7. Shenanigator

Shenanigator Has the Vocabulary of a Well-Educated Sailor. Contributor

This thread scares the hell out of me. It's too easy for people to spout fake medical advice.

ETA: I say this from the POV of someone who grew up with an anorexic mother who encouraged bogus diets. I had to learn how to do it in a healthy way and did so successfully. Someday I'll post all that in my Progress Journal, but long story short, after being bedridden by vertigo, I had a lot of weight to lose, and did. I don't believe in diets. It has to be something permanently sustainable as a lifestyle.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2018
    izzybot, Krispee and CoyoteKing like this.
  8. TheRealStegblob

People may give dubious medical information, but that's the nature of the internet. You should generally take anything (uncited) that someone says with a grain of salt and work it into your own research, anyways.

Temporary diets are certainly helpful. I was helped by temporarily living off of the ketosis diet, though it takes some level of research to know how best to ease into/off of the diet. I don't think you necessarily have to look at a diet as a permanent lifestyle change.

OB1 likes this.
  9. Shenanigator

That is in no way a relaxed diet.

BayView likes this.
  10. TheRealStegblob

What a compelling and good argument.

11. Shenanigator

I cited your quote as evidence. You tell me what is relaxed about small amounts of chicken, vegetables, and fasting. There's no variety there. Fasting in itself is not a relaxed form of diet. That's why religions use it as a form of self-deprivation.

12. Shenanigator

Let me guess...You're in the diet industry.

13. TheRealStegblob

I hope it's pretty obvious that my diet doesn't consist solely of chicken and vegetables just because I said "primarily" (chicken is what we usually have for lunch, in some form or the other).

Fasting is actually very relaxed, since you seem to not understand this. It's also very, very healthy for you because it gives your gut 'a rest' and helps slow your metabolism down. It actually directly increases your lifespan because of this and slows down aging. This is not a weird 'pseudo-science' thing, your metabolism is the primary contributor to your cell aging/death, and animals that live extraordinarily long lives have very, very slow metabolisms.

You might think of fasting as being this stressful, painful thing but it's really not. It feels incredible and it leaves you very energized, not to mention it makes food taste/smell so much better during and breaking the fast.

jim onion likes this.
  14. TheRealStegblob

Let me answer you...No I am not.

jim onion likes this.
  15. Shenanigator

Most medical advice concerning fasting is that it is generally not considered to be healthy to fast more than 3 days. And hell, yeah, food is going to taste and smell better after a fast, because your body thinks it's starving.

And, no, fasting is not a relaxed thing at all. Depriving your body of its basic need for food is not in any way, shape, or form a relaxed activity. It can also do really bad things if someone has an underlying medical condition. Advocating it is dangerous, because most people don't seek medical advice before undertaking it, and they don't do it "correctly."

You also conveniently forgot to mention the fasting headaches and lethargy people have to push through during the first part of the fast, and the crazy stuff it can do to blood pressure, and the effects it can have on any medications the person is taking.

16. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Telemachus Sneezed
    Okay, this thread was a bad idea.

jim onion and Earp like this.
  17. TheRealStegblob

Yeah, no. I've literally never heard anything like this. Do you have any sources?

Your body actually doesn't think it's starving, it just knows you're not eating. "Starving" is an actual condition when you're actually using fat from organs to sustain yourself because everything else is gone. You are not starving when you fast.

You're totally wrong but hey whatever, to each their own.

Attempting to suggest I'm wantonly promoting it to anyone and telling them not to seek medical advice is an entirely fake argument. So, no. This is pointless for you to say.

Only some people experience muscle ache or headaches while fasting. I experience nothing and never have, and most people only get mild headaches.

"Crazy stuff it can do to blood pressure" is a meaningless statement. What are you implying? And of course people on medications may have issues with fasting, that is pointless fake argument outlier.

At this point it's very, very obvious you're not looking to do anything but be argumentative. You were like this in the other thread, too. You have this pre-determined opinion and you want to fight people over it. I have better things to do than feed a quasi-troll. Calm down a little bit before you want to engage people next time, me bucko.

jim onion likes this.
  18. TheRealStegblob

People bicker on the internet. It's just what happens. Not every little argument or prolonged back-and-forth has to be a big deal. It's uncomfortable to watch unfurl for those not apart of the arguing, but it doesn't mean it has to kill real discussion in the meantime.

jim onion likes this.
  19. Shenanigator

No, I just want you to fucking stop giving people quasi medical advice and attempting to sound like an expert when you are absolutely unqualified. You yourself have cited NOTHING.

I'm out.

20. TheRealStegblob

So you want to stop supposed 'quasi medical advice' by twisting words, putting words in people's mouths, being needlessly combative and offering your own unsupported quasi-medical advice?

lmao

Giving my thoughts and opinions isn't exactly "acting like an expert", and how the hell do you know I'm absolutely unqualified, exactly?

You want me to cite things? I'd be happy to. Give me a moment and I'll compile a list.

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/water-fasting#section3 This covers short-term and long-term fasting very well. There are some associated risks that some consider can be linked to fasting for longer periods of time, but if done safely, you can work up to fasting for weeks at a time. I personally believe based on what I know and what I've experienced that long-term fasting risks are generally a bit overstated. For anything longer than a three day fast, people should generally be either experienced or consult their doctors.

https://newatlas.com/fasting-increase-lifespan-mitochondria-harvard/52058/ Good article about fasting increasing lifespan and cell health. This is all very well established science that we've known for like a hundred years or so. Slower, or more relaxed, metabolisms = higher lifespan. Animals that live for hundreds of years, for instance, have incredibly low metabolisms and go months (even over a year) without eating. That's just a few species of animals, of course.

https://towardsdatascience.com/how-i-survived-fasting-for-five-days-using-one-weird-trick-8629166bf2ad This is just one dude's personal article but he covers fasting pretty well, especially when it comes to 'how hard' fasting is on the body. It's not at all stressful to the body, and the body does not think it's starving to death when you fast. I've heard anecdotal tales of people fasting for longer periods and having large healing effects from it, such as lifelong eye problems suddenly getting noticeably better to stomach ulcers healing up fully. This is going into some unconfirmed/unexplored science, however.

Most medical professionals will tell you fasting is okay and that a lot of the known and accepted risks from it aren't from the fasting itself, but how people perform their fasts. Like anything else of this nature, you do need to know what you are doing- but it's not the fasting itself that is particularly harmful.

jim onion likes this.
  21. Lemie

Lemie Contributor Contributor

Sorry for the call out - but bickering seems to happen all around you on this site. Not saying no one else fights or having arguments, but I haven't seen your avatar anywhere without there being "bickering" involved...

Just a friendly observation.

22. TheRealStegblob

Shenanigator was very, very aggressive towards me and took what I said out of context to basically inflame an argument. It's true I've had some arguments since returning here, but if you think I'm going to let you pull some false equivalency on me because I defended myself against someone who was more or less kind of being a dick, equating that to me being some sort of argument-starter, well, I'm not!

I don't care if you think you've seen my avatar in a lot of arguments or whatever. I've generally done little to be abrasive and the several debacles I've been attached to were from other people more or less starting it with me. That's all I can say. Shenanigator started this by being kind of an asshole, plain and simple. His literal first response to me in this thread is a baity bodycheck where all he does is say "uuuh u wrong lololol". But let me guess, that's my fault, eh?

jim onion likes this.
  23. Lemie

No. You were questioned since your diet - from an outsider perspective - sounds unhealthy. It might work for you, so keep it up, but it's no where a relaxed diet as you stated.

You get offended by every little comma heading your way. If you can't take someone questioning you, how the hell will you be able to take critique when it comes to your writing (which is what matters around here)? Sorry, but I think you'd be a lot happier if you took a vacation from the internet until you grew up enough not taking everything as "aggression" towards you. No one is being a dick but you.

Oh, and pal? uuuh u wrong lololol! Yeah, sorry, you're hard to take serious.

Homer Potvin, matwoolf and CoyoteKing like this.
  24. TheRealStegblob

If you are literally going to try and tell me that his initial response of outright saying "Your diet isn't relaxed, you're wrong" and absolutely nothing else, along with his general "you're wrong" attitude he immediately had towards me throughout the rest of our posts (not to mention his very first post in this thread at all is to preemptively complain people are prone to giving false medical information) isn't clearly inflammatory and provoking and I'm at fault because "I can't take critique", then I'm just going to ignore you right fucking now lol.

It is absolutely 100% a relaxed diet and I am not arguing with you about that.

jim onion likes this.
  25. Lemie

So I was going to share a bit of my weight loss journey. Mainly as a cautionary tale.

But seeing where this thread is going... I think I'll bow out.

Check, please!

Iain Aschendale likes this.